SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2002, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default we have ignition...sort of

Well today was the big day, first start-up. The motor is a 351W with ported J302 heads , bill mitchel 750/850 dp holly, victor jr.,A351 cam with crower roller rockers, milodon cobra road race pan, and crane hi6 and coil.I knew I'd have no one to blame but myself if things went south since I built it from a bare block in the garage. Well it fired up with some difficulty but smoothed out after a bit, but the leaks were huge The freeze plug under#6 squirts a stream like a groove exists in the plug or the block and within a minute or two water poured out of the the overflow even though the temp gauge was still below 200. Oil flowed almost as copiously from around the mech fuel pump and various places on the pan fortunately not the rear main but possibly the pan welds-it is hard to see. A couple of lifters made a racket also. Too much fluid to complete the the break in. Oh yeah, the tach shows no reading, the S.W. tach is supposed to be ground senseing and should work with a cd ign. so now I have to find a way to to test wether the tach or Hi6 is at fault. And to think I was getting depressed because I thought the build was coming to an end
Old 02-02-2002, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Well I was going to post but I haven't cranked mine yet so I'll just shut up!!! No, I can't. Find yourself a good mechanic friend and have him help you get the thing sewed up. Make sure you're getting good oil pressure next time you crank. Freeze plugs can be replaced and a little silicone sealer in there with the gaskets will take care of the oil leaks. One thing I find helpful is everytime I screw up big time, I put everything down, go in the house, pour a big glass of wine, and like Scarlett says "tomorrow is another day".
h dog
Old 02-03-2002, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to hdheritage97
Not Ranked     
Default Hang in there Clyde

From the sounds of things, it wasn't exactly the day you had hoped for but ya know what, this is what we do for fun....lol. We must be a bunch of sick bastards huh ? Well, you have my sympathy but those are things that you can easily remedy. Keep your chin up, get back in the garage and lick some ass, you know those Chevy gremlins lurk everywhere...lol.

Cliff
Old 02-03-2002, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to hdheritage97
Not Ranked     
Default I meant KICK.....LOL

Whoa, that was a nasty little typo, unless of course......ahhhh, never mind. In any case, I meant KICK some ass........

Cliff
Old 02-03-2002, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the kind words guys. Today I tightened all the bolts and changed the fuel pump gasket. Fired immediately no water burps and oil leaks down to a p.c. level with a solid 60psi. Tach is crap Hi 6 is fine. Tomorrow I'll drop the pan and put some sealant on the 'do not use any sealant' gasket. Try to get that freeze plug too and recheck my lifter preload. About that typo- I guess it would sort of depend on-on second thought cancel that first thought
Old 02-03-2002, 05:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clyde,
Leaks and all I wish I was at your stage of the game! Hang in there, sounds as though you got most of the gremlins sorted out. You will be out enjoying your ride before you know it.
Steve D***ey
Old 02-03-2002, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Murphy will just never let you fire up your engine, set the idle, close the hood, and drive off into the sunset, no matter what you do, or how painstakingly you double checked everything. Never!

Fired up my engine for the first time. Wasted a week shaving the oil scraper on the Canton pan that was hitting the windage tray that was hitting the rod nuts. Sounded like a coffee can full of marbles. Then trying to wash and blow each and every last metal filing out of the pan, before putting it back.

Then it kept blowing coolant out of it. Finally got all the air bled out, and it kept the coolant in it.

Am about halfway through muffler replacement after learning how restrictive factory sidepipes are.

Replaced all the hardware that came with sunvisors and wind wings. Now, it's all stainless, and locknuts. Damn things kept vibrating loose, and falling off.

But it's gonna be all fixed for DVSF! (Maybe)

Gremlins. It never ends.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WE must be nuts because no sane person would enjoy all this
Old 02-07-2002, 10:10 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

Slide

Since you have several problems, I would suggest that you attack them one by one. This way you are going after a relatively small problem instead of looking at what appears to be a big mess.

Good luck, and if it helps any, we have all been there. The fun of driving the beast will make up for all of the initial problems.

Wayne