SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2023, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default AFR Gauges : AEM or Innovate Experience?

I am about to buy an AFR gauge and fine tune my Edelbrock street carb on my engine and wanted to see who has experience tuning a carb with either of these brands of AFR and any lessons learned with either brand ?.. My guess is both brands should get me the results Im looking for but there must be some folks here on CC that have “been there done that” using these AFR gauges tuning your carbs and would like to learn from your experience

Thanks
Old 04-07-2023, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the AEM brand and have used them for years. They have improved the product so it now reads in hundreds not tenths at a faster speed. You want the complete kit, check out Summit AUM-30-0334, $239.87 I would suggest you order an extra O2 sensor also, 30-2004 $121.4. When AEM upgrades their gauges they change the connector to the O2 sensor, ask me how I know, and it can be difficult getting the sensor with the proper connector. give AEM a call and make sure the sensor is the correct one for 30-0334.

BilK
Old 04-07-2023, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The AFR gauge is just the equivalent of a computer monitor. All the real work is done by the sensor and its associated electronics. The standalone sensor I like is the NTK sensor.

Unllike all the other sensors that begin to drift as they fail, The NTK sensor just stops working altogether. That prevents you from chasing a failing sensor with your tuning efforts and getting upside down and backwards in your tune.

Most gauges work or can be made to work with just about anything. Use electronics that will support an NTK sensor or buy a whole sensor package including sensor and electronics that uses an NTK sensor. Instrument both sides of the engine so you know what is happening everywhere and the impact your tuning changes have everywhere.

Unspoken earlier but important, make sure you get a wideband sensor, not a narrow band sensor.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-07-2023 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 04-09-2023, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Thanks this is helpful,

Ed , why go with the NTK sensor equipped gauges compared to the popular Bosch 4.9 LSU wideband sensor gauges used by Innovate and AEM brand gauges? Accuracy? Reliability? Both? I dont plan to keep the AFR gauge and sensor in the car after Im done with tuning the carb , so durability is not paramount for my application , accuracy of course is my goal here. Thanks
Old 04-09-2023, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

This is not about durability. It is about confidence in the readings, accuracy and repeatability. With brand-new sensors, accuracy and repeatability are not an issue. Confidence might be, but, and this is a relatively big but, you will use the sensor again sometime in the future, and you want to have confidence in the accuracy and consistency of its readings from usage to usage.

If this is a one-time event, have the tuning shop, you wish to use, use their sensor. It is smarter to pay the monies to a shop to use their sensors than buying an expensive one or two-time-use instrument that you will not use again.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-09-2023 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar