SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2002, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 2836K
Not Ranked     
Default Csx Built By Prison Labor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (Las Vegas Review Journal) -- Lloyd Deere was one of three employees who started up a custom car manufacturing shop in 1995 in an Indian Springs warehouse about 45 miles northwest of Las Vegas. After five years of loyal service to his employer, the 63-year-old earns less than $8,000 a year in his full-time job, gets no vacation or sick pay and is unlikely to ever be promoted.

But Deere isn't one to complain.

"It's better than kickin' rocks," he said, sitting at an intricate harness of dashboard wires wrapped in black electrical tape. "I'm earnin' pretty good. Most of my money's going into mutual funds."

Inmate Lloyd Deere works his shift at a car manufacturing shop
In the shop where Deere works, "kickin' rocks" is synonymous with "walkin' the yard" or "doin' slow time." The phrases are prison-speak that he and other convicted felons in the Southern Desert Correctional Center use to describe idle time. While serving a life sentence for robbing and raping a prostitute in Northern Nevada, Deere has been able to avoid the feeling of wasted time most people experience behind concrete walls and barbed wire.

More from Las Vegas Review Journal
Refuges seek new image

Tutu: Goodness of people appreciated

Executive pay rose last year

UNLV basketball invoices delayed

Documentary takes a close look at sewage

He is part of a select group of Nevada prisoners that for nearly 20 years has been given the chance to earn wages while inside prison walls.

Shelby American, manufacturer of the Shelby Cobra sports cars, pays Deere and a dozen other inmates at the facility an hourly wage to build every part of the car except the engine. Other workers at the Indian Springs penitentiary work for other private companies or the state restoring cars, beveling and staining glass windows, upholstering chairs and making bed mattresses.

"It's a good job. I like it," Deere said.

"Makes the time go faster"
A similar satisfaction permeates the staff of Jacobs Trading Co., a wholesale business whose entire Silver State operation is housed inside the Southern Nevada Women's Correctional Facility in North Las Vegas, the future home of murderer Sandy Murphy. At that prison, scores of female inmates compete against one another whenever a job opens up in the institution's single workshop.

Ask any of these prisoners whether they believe they're being taken advantage of by earning minimum wage for work civilians might make more at and they will likely laugh.

"There's a lot of people locked in here that are jealous of me because I got a job," said Tammy Cates, a 41-year-old mother of two who has served about a third of her 18-year sentence for drug trafficking. "I was able to buy my son a new pair of tennis shoes last month. It makes me feel good like I used to when I could provide for him."

For 16 months, she has worked with 10 other women repackaging finished goods for Jacobs, the only private employer of female prisoners in Nevada. Like the male prisoners employed directly by the state or by the half-dozen private companies that rent work space in Nevada's penitentiaries, Cates works 40 hours a week and ends up keeping just over half of what she earns. After several deductions mandated by the state prison department, she takes in about $460 per month.

Stacey Denby works in the same shop as Cates, stripping original store labels and price tags off surplus wholesale items. She and her co-workers will eventually repackage the compressors, ceiling fans, yard lights and other products that originally did not sell and ship them out to resale outlets such as MacFrugal's Bargains Close-Out.

"It's physically demanding. It requires cognitive and motor skills and problem-solving abilities," said the 38-year-old minimum wage worker. But she smiles and adds, "It makes the time go faster."

Denby, a mother of three and grandmother of one, has served 11 1/2 years for a crime she wouldn't disclose. "I'm blessed to have this job. I was able to buy my 20-year-old daughter an '86 Caddy because of this job."

Johnie Lane, 45, has 4 1/2 years left on the burglary sentence he's serving at the men's prison in Indian Springs. He sends money he makes staining glass home to his mother and sisters, who put part of it in a savings account for him. Lane said he hopes to use the glass staining skills he's picked up inside to get a better job when he is released.

"I might try to get into the glazers' union," he said. "Those guys make about $20 per hour."

More than minimum wage
Of course not all inmates send money home to kids or parents. Many inmates say they only earn enough so that their families don't have to send them money to spend on cigarettes and other amenities in the prison commissary.

Of Nevada's 9,500 prisoners, 370 make a wage while they're doing time, but the prison industries program is soon to expand.

Most of the products are kept within Nevada. The fruits of inmates' sweat can be found throughout the state, purchased by private companies as well as state agencies. These include the beds at Treasure Island hotel and St. Rose Dominican Hospital and the furniture students and professors crack their books on at UNLV.

Every piece of furniture inside High Desert State Prison -- the new super-prison southeast of Indian Springs scheduled to open in September -- was made by an inmate, the Prisons Department said.

Inmates even make furniture modeled on modern design trends, like the California-nouveau chairs inside Venice Beach Restaurant in Henderson.

Their work sells at all prices. From the $2.20 cotton and polyester blended pillowcase to the $1,195 oak conference table, industrial needs and extravagant wants can be satisfied.

Scanning through the prison department's Web site and the lengthy price list displayed there, it might be easy to forget that the goods, which appear to be of professional quality, are made by inmates.

Though many of the workers have minimum skills, not all of them are paid minimum wage. Prisons Department Assistant Director Howard Skolnik said laborers toiling in car restoration shops can make up to $12 to $13 an hour, depending on how much they get done.

Of the 370 prisoners employed, 250 make products that will sell on the open market -- to private businesses rather than Nevada state agencies. They are guaranteed minimum wage of $5.15 an hour.

Inmates who work directly for the prison system making closed-market products -- goods that will be used by a state agency -- or cooking, cleaning and performing general maintenance at the prisons earn as little as 10 cents an hour.

After the Buck Springs wildfire broke out of control June 3, inmates working for the Nevada Division of Forestry battled the six-day blaze for $1.10 an hour.

Prisoners seeking a position at any wage level simply apply for the position and the best candidate is chosen depending on behavior records and physical ability.

When it comes time to collect their earnings, inmates discover they have more than federal tax, Social Security and Medicare deductions taken from their paychecks.

About 35 percent of inmates' wages are deducted and paid to the state and split three ways: 24.5 percent for room and board, 5 percent to a general fund that victims of crimes can apply to for financial assistance and 5 percent for capital improvements to the prison industry program.

If an inmate owes restitution to a victim of his or her crime, that's also taken out.

After the state and federal government are through making deductions, inmates might keep nothing or as much as 65 percent of their wages.

Some might find it ironic that many working under those conditions are serving sentences for grand larceny or robbery.

Others might marvel at the site of 50 criminals scattered around a workshop doing an honest day's work, many for the first time in their lives.

It's less of a shocker to the inmates.

They're climbing over one another to get one of the minimum wage-paying jobs.

"If I had 400 more jobs available tomorrow," said Skolnik. "They'd be filled immediately."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RELATED STORIES:
For more Local news, myCNN.com will bring you news from the areas and subjects you select.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

Several of the vehicles from the Imperial Palace collection were restored by prison labor. I am all for it, at least they learn a trade. They are reliable and
care about their work product! It is better for them to being doing this than stamping out license plates. In California some of the prisons build office furniture for use in state facilities only.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He's using inmates for labor and he charges how much for a car?
Old 02-18-2002, 06:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default ...c'mon guys...

hey menace.... why didn't you include the "news" date of the story?
Taken from CNN Local news, byline June 27, 2000
Web posted at: 11:50 AM EDT (1550 GMT) .

...it's old news...
...it's been posted before...
...it's been beaten to death already...

don't you guys have something to do on your car, or something?
Old 02-18-2002, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Jailbirds

Have you ever watched the HBO series "OZ"? Are those types better off? I have had work done by so called 'Reputable sources that charge top dollar and when "Gremlins" somehow make the job a nightmare, they back away because they have to pay their rent and bills. The jailbirds have nowwhere to go so, I think the idea was a good one. I have no complaints with my car. It's all Shelby and until the end of time it will be all Shelby not the brand of the week just Shelby.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 02-18-2002, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

Sometimes the warden lets us sit in the cars.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like a way to maximize profit to me. How nice, take a job away from a person that needs it and give to someone serving a life sentance.

Has CS ever done anything "straight up". there always seems to be some twist dosen't there?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

CSX4027 - Have you ever seen the Shawshank(sp?) Redemption? That is what comes to my mind.
I think the prisoners should be locked up 24-7. They should not get Cable & gourmet food! They committed a crime & should pay for it. Our jail system is too easy. Criminals are not scared of it in the least. I think they are more scared of being somebody's B!tch.
My 2cents worth of babble.

Catch ya later
Ed
Old 02-19-2002, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Ed

I agree with you but, building a Cobra is like a jail sentence especially if you are trying to make it look exactly like something that was built in 1965 as opposed to a kit made with parts that are on the shelf today.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"

Last edited by CSX 4027; 02-19-2002 at 07:24 PM..
Old 02-19-2002, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Hmmm.. the real story is the guy getting life for raping the prostitute.. Bill Clinton raped Jaunita Broadrick and tried to force Paula Jones into sex acts and all he got to be was President..

Is this a wonderful country or what??

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 02-19-2002, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Computerworks,
I would much rather work on a Cobra, trouble is, it won't be here for another six months. Thanks for adding insult to injury.