SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2002, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Franklin Mint 427S/C replica
Not Ranked     
Default 351W low mount alt bracket

Anyone know where I can find one? I have the March setup and the alternator seems too high. I think it will be in the way of the upper radiator hose. What is everyone else doing?

Thanks,
Old 03-23-2002, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

As usual, did it different than anybody else, but it works.

Alt. mounted on pass side. PS pump mounted on driver side.

CR supplies an alternator bracket for an early '70's Ford externally regulated alt. The regulator vied for the same piece of underhood real estate as the CD box. Personal experience with Ford alternators & regulators is poor to horrible, so used a Delco instead. Unless you abuse a Delco by trying to charge a defective battery, it will last forever. (Forever ~= 100,000 miles. Then rebuild it, and bolt it back on the motor)

Repositioned the main support bolt, alt rotates up. Got a Mr. Gasket Chevy upper alt bracket, cut it, drilled a new lower mounting hole where it bolts to the water pump, and installed it. 3 wires (actually 2, #3 goes to the Batt terminal) #1 goes to the battery +, #2 goes to the ignition circuit ( through a diode) to energize the alt with ignition on. Same circuit the CD box, and electric choke is on (hence, the diode).

Had to make a 90 deg water inlet for the heater line into the water pump with a plumbing dept elbow, and 2 short nipples. Heater return line goes under the alt.

Works great, no radiator hose interference.

One of these days I'll learn how to post photos here. Meantime, I'll e-mail you a shot of the setup, and the PS setup if you're using power steering if you'd like.

Last edited by Jack21; 03-23-2002 at 10:38 AM..
Old 03-23-2002, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Franklin Mint 427S/C replica
Not Ranked     

I would like to see any photos you may have. I'm not running the PS pump. I'm also considering moving the alternator to the driver's side. It looks like there is plenty of room.

Sent photos to pbrown@sla.com