Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Homemade Octane Boost ?? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/16007-homemade-octane-boost.html)

Denny S. 04-06-2002 11:22 AM

Homemade Octane Boost ??

So I followed the threads on Fuel boosters and homemade Octane Boost. My Question is === Does anyone here use things like Lacquer thinner in their cars or are we as hesitant as I to dump Strange brews into our toys...

Ikestaa 04-07-2002 08:29 AM

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.:)

Rick Yeager 04-07-2002 08:38 PM

Great Uncle Tommy nearly went to jail for his "Homemade Octane booster" :)

Rick

Denny S. 04-08-2002 06:07 AM

No Info ??

When the majority of people that answer ( Not Many) don't have a serious reply, then I know they don't have a clue either. This was a serious question, only brought about by very knowledgable engine guy filling me in on some old engine tips from the days.. He buys Ethanol by the 55 gallon drum to mix his own recipe Boost.

ST 04-08-2002 06:30 AM

Denny
This topic was covered extensivly about a year or so ago. You can probably do a search and find it. There were so many pros and cons about it that one could not make a definitive conclusion. It was in my opinion NOT something to play around with and not worth the risk of serious engine damage.%/

Steve R 04-08-2002 07:30 AM

Denny,
I wanted some feedback from people when this topic was hot a while back. I got little responce. I think guys are either afraid to experiment, or state so publically. I have run thinner in my car and did not experience any great anti- knock benifit. My trial was by no means scientific....just don't want to play god with my 427 SO.
Steven

Whaler 04-08-2002 08:39 AM

After having said how important your engine is to you, and noting that the responses have been few as many here likely don't know much on the topic of homemade boosters, why bother?

Spend the 4 bucks on a bottle of real stuff and see if it works, if so continue with that. You know it works and has research behind it.

This homebrew approach will give you many mixed stories that only you can prove with experimentation that you and I would not likely want to do on our own engines. Now if it were the old lady's car...maybe

hmmmm

Tim

427 S/O 05-21-2002 05:36 AM

found this on the net, I have not used
it but, plan to test it in a KROGER MOTOR (chevy).

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST

How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

B L & sons 05-21-2002 06:33 AM

Perry
Do you remember the web site that you found infomation on the octane boost.I would be interested in getting more info.
Thanks
Bill

427 S/O 05-21-2002 07:11 AM

Sorry, don't remember?. I just copied the formula that was tested.

Denny S. 05-21-2002 08:12 AM

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

B L & sons 05-21-2002 09:10 AM

Denny

Thanks for the web info.
Bill

BLACKJACK 05-21-2002 11:50 AM

HI, GUYS,

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THAT STUFF !!!

WE TEND TO TAKE OUR LUCK FOR GRANTED. I KNOW I DID. THEN MY HOUSE EXPLODED AND BURNED. 1.2 MILLION IN LOSS.

YOU CAN BUY OCTANE BOOSTER AT AUTO SUPPLY STORES FOR BETWEEN $4.50 AND $7.00 A CAN. I USE ONE CAN PER TANKFULL. I USED TO THINK IT WAS EXPENSIVE. BUT YOU CAN BUY A LOT OF OCTANE BOOST FOR 1.2 MIL.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT AND SAFE DAY,

BLACKJACK

got snake? 05-21-2002 02:02 PM

I put some thinner in my tank. This was in my 91 Integra. I used 12 gal of 93 octane and a cup of the thinner. *I only tried this once so I'm not an expert at all.
Any difference? ah a little I guess...When I put my foot down it ran smoother at the high RPM's vs just with 93 octane. The only modifications on the car was cold air intake and a fuel pressure regulator. I never had a knocking problem with the car prior to this. But then again I could have just thought it felt better. I have not tried the thinner a second time. Why? It just don't seem right to me.

I read here that some one puts it in there mustang on a regular basis but I not sure who. It is totally up to you. I AM IN NO WAY SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS!!! Just telling you what I did.
GS

renaissance man 05-21-2002 02:14 PM

Blackjack said it best. Leave the chemistry to chemists. Dump 2 bottles of 104 octane booter in your car, still safe. How high is your compression that would warrent more than 93 octane?

427 S/O 05-21-2002 04:28 PM

A fella, (chemists) who works for Dow Corning, gave me good information on MoS2 ( molybdenum disulphide). I use this in in everything that turns except automatic transmissions and the jag rear, in these I use fords friction modifer. I will contact him about this booster and get his opnion. Careful not to use MoS2 in engine until rings are seated.

Perry

Jim Dandy 05-21-2002 05:11 PM

I hate to sound simplictic, Why not buy high octane fuel? I live in a small town and there is a local station that carries it. Granted its $2.5 a gallon but its as smooth as 24 year old scotch. I used to run half AV gas and half 93 in my 67 camero 327, no problems just fun.:JEKYLHYDE

427 S/O 05-21-2002 06:20 PM

There are only a few of those stations. especially not out on those country roads where driving is really fun!

Michael C Henry 05-21-2002 08:20 PM

how much octane would need for 11.5 compression ratio in a 427 SO?

427 S/O 05-22-2002 07:13 AM

Michael, I have no idea what octane numbers this forumla would raise. I do plan to get as much info as possible and do a little testing myself, I use Amoco 93 an concerned that with the sale to BP, will it be the same?.