SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2002, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Question Used Superformance Roller

Have my eye on one with low mileage. Anything I should pay close attention to when we get it up on the rack since I can't drive it ? Rear end, CV joints, axles, brakes, suspension, etc ?

Also, what should the dealer be responsible for since it is used ?

Thanks in advance.

"Never Lift"
Old 06-03-2002, 09:00 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ask about the roller number. It will provide an idea of the updates and what to look for. If it has Wilwood brakes, ask about the anti-knock clips. If it has Trigo wheels, not the SPF version, but original Trigos, ask if the shims have been removed and the wheels turned. Look for the small features like the bug screen in front of the radiator, the inside vents (on the 700 series and above) Check the rear drivers CV boot. All minor things to consider but important to look at when purchasing a used SPF.
The factory updates will be handled by any SPF dealer, but modifications and owner desired updates, will be your responsibility. Ask also about any prior body or engine damage, and if it presents, who did the repairs. The MOST important benefit that you can create is to take a disinterested, knowledgeable person with you to inspect the car. This will counter-balance the wow factor and negate the cobra passion that may obscure your objectivity. After examining the car, LEAVE, have lunch, think about what you saw, then reapproach the seller. Write your questions down ahead of your initial visit and check them off respectively.
Best of Luck. They are wonderful !!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 06-03-2002, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan - it is a 2000 model and does have the Wilwoods - but what are the anti-nock clips ?
It has inside vents on the dash, is that what you are refering to ?
Also, what would one look for when inspecting the rear drivers CV boot, and why ? My point is, shouldn't both rear boots be looked at with the same scrutiny, why just the drivers side ? Also - I am having someone from the shop who would be installing the motor going to look at it on the lift and inspect it, and tell me what else would be necessary for the drop in. Sound good ??

Thanks very much for the quick reply, very helpful points !!
Old 06-03-2002, 03:50 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We also have a 2000 model with the vents. The Wilwood brakes especially the emergency brake, have a tendency to rattle. The upgrade is a clip that anchors the brakes better and eliminates the rattle. The drivers side CV boot was aproblem for some of the earlier SPF's but not on all. Occassionally the boot would tear and the grease spray all over the upper A arm and wheel well was an obvious diagnostic tool. Look for excessive grease splatters on the drivers side, if it's not there, then there's no problem. Ask if they performed the update on the upper rear A-arm bolts and bushings. They did have an update on our series.
Everything else sounds good. Be sure to check your motor mounts when installing your engine and measure the side pipe clearances on both sides. You don't want the pipes too close to the bottom glass ledge. Is this car coming from a dealer or a private individual?
If you need to e-mail me my address is: sudans@infocom.com

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 06-03-2002, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking Zee number! Zee number!

agro1,

The number of the car may clear much up. If it is on the Second Strike registry, a lot can be found about the car, it's history.

Dan or I can help.

Eric

ericbrown1@hotmail.com
Old 06-03-2002, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan / Great Asp:

Where do I go to check out the # of the car (if it's registered) ? Second Strike ? Where is that ?

Thanks for the post !!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The person selling it should know the car number, or it will be on a plaque inside the engine compartment, or check on top of the cross member in front of the motor.

Second Strike is a registry for Superformance cars. When you buy the car new, you place it in the registry. Up grades to the tranny, engine, ignition are all kept track of.

For example, I hit a deer with my Superformance (car 992). The front clip needs to be replaced and painted (IMO). But no matter, the registry keeps track that 992 was wrecked on 4/14/02. Repairs should be kept track of on the registry also.

Very helpful when buying a car. Who owned the car before would make a differance to me. If it was a guy like Dan Semko, I'd pay more for the car.....

Eric
Old 06-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink Deerslayer

Eric,
When we were picking up our cobra, Eric alias the shiney one, was girdling your crank.
It's the first time that I've ever seen that process. As soon as your heads arrive, the build will progress rapidly. I did see an example of the new style heads and they are very impressive.
You might consider a dental check up before you take delivery of your new cobra, that puppy is definitely going to loosen all fillings!
Hope that you're on the road soon,

Old 06-03-2002, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Dan,
That is great advice about the "wow factor". Could you provide a link to the Second Strike site?
Thanks. look foreward to seeing you and your brother at the fling.
Steven
Old 06-04-2002, 05:07 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Steve,
Great to hear from you. I'd like to provide a link to the Second Strike/Superformance Cobra Owners Forum (SCOF) but as with the Free Masons, we're sworn to secrecy and if I told you I'd have to donate your body parts to a recipient in Las Vegas.
Actually, the site is designed for only owners of SPF's and cannot be accessed by the public. If there's information that I can research and help you with, let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

Old 06-04-2002, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Wink

Dan,
Just wanted to look. I guess I have to get a SPF to complete my favorites list.
That lucky guy in Vegas would be Very popular with the show girls...IF ya know what I mean....
Old 06-04-2002, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,
The one I'm looking at is a 700 model and HAS had the rear upper arm upgrade (hyme joint) and no history of the CV boot tearing. They also said there was never any problems with the brakes "knocking".
I'm having someone from House of Cobras go and take a look at it to do an inspection. It was never registered with Second Strike.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:35 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Steve,
I didn't know that you could dance!
Agro1, ask if they added the rear clips to the Wilwoods and to the emergency brake. When you test drive the cobra, run over bumpy roads and listen for a rattle in the rear end. That emergency brake does rattle on the SPF's which is common, not unsafe but somewhat annoying.
What's the number of the car?

Old 06-04-2002, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Hey Dan!

Fillings huh? I was taking a pair of Depends and never thought about my teeth!

Should be together this week, we will see.......

agro1, the brake issue is minor, and has a fix for the older cars, both the parking brake, and the "rattle" that can occur in the brakes. Get the # to Dan or I, and we will tell you Top Secret information about the possible love of your life

Great Asp
Old 06-04-2002, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You guys are killing me. Even though I am past the "WOW" stage - I still want that sucker so bad I can taste it...However, what I don't want is someone else's problems - thus the due diligence continues...Answer me one question though - If I love cars, motors, and racing - will I ever sell it if I buy it ? Are they that much fun ??

NEVER LIFT
Old 06-04-2002, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy sorry.......

Alais, you will be hooked once you buy one of these. If you are excited now thinking about getting the car, you will feel like poo-poo if you sell it.

Mine has been wrecked for 8 weeks, and I need a fix BAD!

Great Asp
Old 06-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink It's ONLY the Beginning!

This cobra fever becomes a relentless passion. You may move from one to another vehicle but your chances of ever being cobra free are remote. Your wife will be jealous, your banker will love you and your neighbors will despise you when all of your cobra friends congregate. Life is good and the fun factor is THE best that you will ever experience.