SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2002, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Scattershield intermediate plate question

I've got an old Lakewood scattershield and intermediate plate assembly that has the three access holes cut out for accessing the torque converter bolts. Originally the car had a toploader and I've since installed a tremec 3550. My question concerns these intermediate plate holes and whether they should be sealed to keep water and debris from entering the bellhousing. Has anyone else welded a plate over these holes to seal them, or is it not a big deal? Thanks.

Mike
Old 01-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It isn't a big deal.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Contemporary 427 SC. built in 1982 before CCX serial #. has body #106. engine 351-C with 48 IDA'S 500 hp, T-56 6 speed, Halibrands k/os. Featured in KIT CAR, MOTOR SPORTS MONTHLY, AUTO X, AND SPORTS CAR. Original owner/builder
Not Ranked     

ALSO, NO BIG DEAL.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks guys. It turns out I had to remove my new McLeod clutch setup because the clutch fork is now moved back 1" from where it was with the stock long style clutch, and now the end of the clutch fork is contacting the slave cylinder housing. So, I'll probabably yank the flywheel again and weld a thin plate over the access holes while I'm in there. I'm worried if water gets in there it won't be able to get out.

Mike
Old 01-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike - that's one of the reasons they invented the drill!!!!

Old 01-14-2002, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 01-14-2002, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     
Question

Hi Mike,

OT, are you and your dad going to be at the Gainesville track on Feb. 2nd for the DSCC track day? I know you were out of town when we there back in October, but I got to meet your dad, he's a real nice guy. Hope you can both make it this time.

Mike

BTW, how far along are you now on the car? Almost done?
Old 01-14-2002, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Mike,

Sorry I missed you in October! Nope, we're not going to make it to the event in February--at least not in our cobra . We're having all kinds of dumb problems, like discovering today the car was setup for a Pantera clutch vs the stock 351C job, so now we're going to have to either modify the stock clutch fork or notch the frame rail (again) for clearance for the slave cylinder. The fun just never ends! We plan on going out there in February regardless, though. Maybe we need to have our own '2 day (re)build'. Haha!

Mike
Old 01-15-2002, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Sorry to hear you're having more build problems....

Mike,

As much as I enjoyed building mine and still enjoy occasionally modifying it, I much prefer driving it.......hurry up and finish that thing....

The club members will be meeting at the Hampton Inn (in Gainesville) on Friday evening (Feb 1st), why don't you and your dad come by. I'd also like to swing by your place to take a look at your car. If you're planning on coming to the track Saturday morning, you can say you're my pit crew to get in, and bring a helmet if you want to go for a ride around the track (I don't know if my spare will fit you).

Mike
Old 01-15-2002, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

I'm not sure you'd want me on your pit crew--especially once you see the state our cobra's in ! But thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on the ride . You're certainly welcome to come by and see our roadster. We'll try to hook up at the Hampton and if that doesn't work, I'm sure we'll see you at the track...