Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Oil Leak ???? Help !!!??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/19293-oil-leak-help.html)

agro1 08-09-2002 08:04 AM

Oil Leak ???? Help !!!???

I think my rear main seal is leaking - nothing to be worried about as it is a small amout but continues to do so and is just messy. Has anyone ever used that stuff you add to the engine oil to stop leaks ? Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

427sharpe 08-09-2002 08:11 AM

I have never found any additive that works worth spit. Many do more harm than good..esp. the ones solvent based. Are you sure its the main leaking? If it is, bite the bullet and replace it. While it may be 'small and messy' sitting still, remember that the main is a pressure seal, so under power the leak is larger and more problematic. Also, a leaking rear main can blow entirely at the worst possible moment....how much do you like your motor? First though, make sure that the oil pan gasket is seated correctly, as a leak @ the back of the pan can be confused for a rear main. With that much compression, also be sure your pcv system is working corrrectly and you are getting proper venting. The only way I have ever found to slow a main leak is to use thicker oil, which in turn strains the motor. Whatever you find, good luck!

Mr.Fixit 08-09-2002 08:12 AM

Pull the oil pan, replace rear main seal. No snake oil treatment will be as effective as replacing the defective seal. Be sure where it's leaking from before you replace a perfectly good gasket.

JT 08-10-2002 09:34 PM

I'm taking a stab in the dark, here. Are you running synthetic oil? The guy who built one of my engines told me that if there's a leak, synthetic will find it. I have a similar leak on a GM car and switching back to petroleum oil lessened the leak. Note the word lessened. It didn't stop it, just made it tolerable. Only a new rear seal will stop it. Additives don't work.

stevewrm 08-12-2002 10:08 PM

argo 1

i have a new spfw/ 418 stroker and had oil leak -- was coming down the front of the bell housing shield. eric at pe built engine and said he just had another recent build w/ same problem--has same afr heads as mine also. he couldnt figure out where was coming from till put in die in oil that shows up w/ black light. turns out was leaking at the 4 places where the intake/heads/block meet. fix was to rub silicone along that area to fill any cracks.
i was very sceptable as i could find no oil residue there. did it anyway-----and it worked. used clear silicone so cant see

steve hamm

Denny S. 08-15-2002 08:38 AM

Maybe Galley Plugs

I had a leak that I thought was rear main. Replaced it along with valve covers,and oil pan gasket. Still didn't stop the leak. THen we pulled the toploader only to find a cooked flywheel and clutch.
Oil was leaking from a galley plug at top of block in the rear. Found it with Oil dye. Just an idea.......