SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2002, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Leak ???? Help !!!???

I think my rear main seal is leaking - nothing to be worried about as it is a small amout but continues to do so and is just messy. Has anyone ever used that stuff you add to the engine oil to stop leaks ? Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

I have never found any additive that works worth spit. Many do more harm than good..esp. the ones solvent based. Are you sure its the main leaking? If it is, bite the bullet and replace it. While it may be 'small and messy' sitting still, remember that the main is a pressure seal, so under power the leak is larger and more problematic. Also, a leaking rear main can blow entirely at the worst possible moment....how much do you like your motor? First though, make sure that the oil pan gasket is seated correctly, as a leak @ the back of the pan can be confused for a rear main. With that much compression, also be sure your pcv system is working corrrectly and you are getting proper venting. The only way I have ever found to slow a main leak is to use thicker oil, which in turn strains the motor. Whatever you find, good luck!

Last edited by 427sharpe; 08-09-2002 at 08:13 AM..
Old 08-09-2002, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Pull the oil pan, replace rear main seal. No snake oil treatment will be as effective as replacing the defective seal. Be sure where it's leaking from before you replace a perfectly good gasket.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible 302
Not Ranked     

I'm taking a stab in the dark, here. Are you running synthetic oil? The guy who built one of my engines told me that if there's a leak, synthetic will find it. I have a similar leak on a GM car and switching back to petroleum oil lessened the leak. Note the word lessened. It didn't stop it, just made it tolerable. Only a new rear seal will stop it. Additives don't work.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

argo 1

i have a new spfw/ 418 stroker and had oil leak -- was coming down the front of the bell housing shield. eric at pe built engine and said he just had another recent build w/ same problem--has same afr heads as mine also. he couldnt figure out where was coming from till put in die in oil that shows up w/ black light. turns out was leaking at the 4 places where the intake/heads/block meet. fix was to rub silicone along that area to fill any cracks.
i was very sceptable as i could find no oil residue there. did it anyway-----and it worked. used clear silicone so cant see

steve hamm
Old 08-15-2002, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Maybe Galley Plugs

I had a leak that I thought was rear main. Replaced it along with valve covers,and oil pan gasket. Still didn't stop the leak. THen we pulled the toploader only to find a cooked flywheel and clutch.
Oil was leaking from a galley plug at top of block in the rear. Found it with Oil dye. Just an idea.......