Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   initial start up (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/19355-initial-start-up.html)

kdco 08-11-2002 04:03 PM

initial start up

I'm readdy to fire the engine for the first time. any suggestions on does and donts would be helpful.

Jeff Frigo 08-11-2002 04:26 PM

Pre-lune the system first. Then before you start it, crank i t over with the ignition off till you see pressure on the gage. After it starts, bring the rpm up to 2,500 and let the cam break in for 20-30 minutes. Good luck.

Back in Black 08-11-2002 04:47 PM

I wonder if the Accusump is a good way to ensure initial start up oil ?

Or should the "use a drill to power the oil pump" be used always?

DAVID GAGNARD 08-11-2002 06:21 PM

You could/should fill the carb with gas thru the vent tubes to aid in an early start,I also like to change the oil and filter and cut open the filter after the first hour or so of running.............

David

ERA535 08-11-2002 06:33 PM

Kick all the spectators out.

Only those who know more than you do can stay.

Designate someone to check under the car and around the engine for any coolant, oil, or fuel leaks after you start it.

Make sure it is full of coolant and oil - before you start it!

Stay calm.

Don't rush.

If it doesn't fire, don't just keep cranking - find out why.

Double check plug wire installation.

Leave garage door open.

Good luck!

:3DSMILE:

B L & sons 08-12-2002 05:43 AM

fire extinguisher

Have a friend with his only job is to man the fire extinguisher!!
Be prepared to shut down fast.

Bill:)

jams 08-12-2002 06:04 AM

Keep a wet rag handy to throw over the carb in the event you have any flames. It puts out the fire and does not make as much of a mess as a fire extinguisher.

If you have an electric fuel pump, let it build up pressure to check for leaks before cranking the engine.

Good luck

kdco 08-12-2002 02:49 PM

flames

Sounds like i should expect a fire.:LOL: Always wondered what color fiberglass makes when it burns.:3DSMILE:

Mr.Fixit 08-12-2002 03:07 PM

Do a search on this forum to read all the responses to the same question when it was asked last time.