SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2002, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster, 302, dual carbs
Not Ranked     
Question ignition switch problem

Hey thx for all the help ahead of time!!!

I'm rewiring my cobra using the e-z wiring kit. the wiring diagram that comes with the kit doesnt match the wire loom in the car. So after using an ohm meter and hooking up the switch i have no power coming from the coil. the car turns over but al the guages go dead while the starter is turning over. the wiring is from a 77 mustang. does anyone have a clue as to the wiring on the ignition?

thx

Old 10-08-2002, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

You probubly need to use the bypass ignition lug on the starter solenoid. There are two little lugs on the ford starter solenoid: one is the "on" switch wire, the other is to bypass the ballast resistor so the coil gets full volts during startup.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check your ign switch leads. Some switch have two output leads. One lead that is 'hot' anytime the sw is on. The other is 'hot' when sw is on & not in the start position. The second lead is an acc. lead (radio). You may have hooked up the coil to this lead. You may need to swap leads.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster, 302, dual carbs
Not Ranked     

thx for the input.let me try to put this a differant way. the ignition switch has 10 connections. 5 next to 5. as it is sitting in the car the line on the right(passenger side) sarting from closest to the firewall.first and second power all the time 3,4,5 power during running. turn to start and all go off.now on the left. 1,2 on only when running 3rd and 5th only on when starting and 4th only while running. I have 4 wires 1 main power 2 accessorie power 3 to remote starter and 4 to the coil.

I had the car running with the switch not in place.(just used my hand and a hemastat) car ran fine. revved it up (of course!!) and blew the 20 amp fuse i had put in as the fusible link. didnt want anything frying!!!!! so I replaced the fuse with a 40 and thats when I didnt have power to the ignition system anymore.Now I have moved the wires around so much I dont remember how i originally had them. when I turn the ignition switch the fuel pump and all the gauges spring to life. but when I turn the switch to start everything but the starter goes dead????!?!?!!?
ok any hints
thx

p.s. I checked the fusible link connection and its good otherwise the stater wouldnt turn over right? right? ahhhhhh I'm goin nuts

Last edited by cobracosta; 10-09-2002 at 07:44 PM..