Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Engine? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/37490-engine.html)

StuM 12-31-2002 06:39 PM

Engine?

My son and I are building up a new SPF. After a raging debate about color we settled on traditional royal blue/white. Now for the engine. I know this will start another long thread of you-know-what, but...
Does anyone out there have helpful thoughts re (1) the CHP 393 vs 427 strokers, and/or (2) the CHP crates vs. Ford 392 crate or various custom options in the 393 and 408cid class?
Car will be almost full time street use and shared between an old man and young buck! Want the best of naughty and nice in one package! Any helpful "advice" is welcomed. Just don't blame me for any bb vs. sb debates here if they start!
Happy New Year.

Back in Black 12-31-2002 06:49 PM

Look in the consumer forum area for threads on Coast HP

Your better bet from what I have read, if you want a custom motor, is Southern automotive..

You have chosen the MEDIUM block :3DSMILE: already, so there should be no debate, unless the famous hijacking occurs :JEKYLHYDE

Turk 01-01-2003 09:37 AM

Not worth the effort. Everyone already knows what to put in a Cobra.

TURK

Ron61 01-01-2003 11:15 AM

Right Turk,

You always put an engine in that costs more than most people's cars. Just jeaously on my part as you have the car I want and can't aford. You have to bring that bad boy up here next Summer. Maybe for the KAN car show. If not then I will have to come down there to see it.

Ron:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

bckroom 01-01-2003 04:47 PM

StuM, Good choice in colors.(Same as mine #1239. There is a reason that combo is probably the most common, it looks the best. As far as engine goes, mine has a 380 hp crate motor. No oil leaks or problems in the first 1200 miles. It will go at least 130 mph and that is fast enough for me. This is my second Cobra and both of them are a handful above 120mph. I have said many times that these roadsters have the aerodynamics of a cement block at 100 plus. With that in mind, unless you just want to brag, 400 hp is all you need. .................Good luck....Rog

got snake? 01-01-2003 10:00 PM

If you have narrowed it down to just the crate CHP vs FMS then go with CHP. Custom shop and I think they got warrenty also. 393 or 408 would be my first choice. A cobra is a list of compromises. You can't have everything. Personal note: 427 stroked windsor will not last as long so I would not go over a 408. But then again it depends on how much your gonna drive.

GS

agro1 01-02-2003 06:53 AM

Stu - Search this forum and the others on this site for CHP and Coast High Performance. I have one of their 427 strokers. The motor is fine, NOW...Put it this way, customer satisfaction AFTER THE SELL is not one of their strongpoints. I would not reccomend usinig CHP, as BIB suggested, Southern seems to be great custom builders and stand behind their work. My suggestion, have whomever you plan to install it, build it as well...

I see your in CA - You might want to make a trip to House of Cobras. Dean builds a bulletproof 418 and they are fantastic people to deal with - YOU always come first with them.

Harris 01-02-2003 11:10 AM

House of Cobras

Agro 1,
I have heard House of Cobras mentioned before, but I have no idea of where they are located.
I have been using a local "mechanic" for several months and have come to the belief that I know more about Cobras than he does (scary thought)
What gave him away was when I had him install new aluminum heads on my 66 JCF slabside. He apparently decided to reroute the positive cable to the starter motor and in doing so the exhaust header burned a hole in the cable almost setting my car on fire.
I'm driving down the freeway about 70 when I smell smoke. I'm really frustrated at some of the work these alleged mechanics are putting out-@70.00 per hour.

agro1 01-02-2003 11:35 AM

OUCH - Your getting ripped, bigtime...

www.houseofcobras.com

Jack Zupan 01-02-2003 06:22 PM

Great choice of colors! Mine is SP01278. Turk is absolutely correct. There is only one engine to put in a 427 Cobra. Mine came from Southern.

Jack Z.

Jack21 01-03-2003 12:15 PM

A Cobra can get away from a driver unaccustomed to its idiocyncracies. The more youthful, to worse it gets.

How many GTO's Boss Mustangs, and GTX's do you recall never got beyond 2 weeks old because the driver couldn't hang on to it?

Put a 289 in it, and learn to drive it. Then upgrade the engine until it's as fast as you want.

agro1 01-03-2003 01:45 PM

Jack - That's the most retarded idea I've ever heard...Talk about a waste of $$$$. If you can't drive for crap to begin with, then you sure as hell shouldn't be buying a car like a Cobra...Because a 289 in it would be slow right ????? Give me a friggin' break...

Put as much friggin' hp in that puppy as you can possibly afford and just learn how to control yourself and your right foot - THAT is all you need to do.

Ant 01-03-2003 02:10 PM

My two bobs worth is we all know that either a 289, or 427 is what the cars came with, so whats wrong with a 289? I bet if you got a good 400bhp 289 setup on good tires around an average road race track, the BB, even in alloy would struggle to beat it - or even stay ahead of a well built S/B. Who says a 427 is the only way to go, all that is an exercise in spending money that for myself I am unable to afford, and a cast iron 427 big block has only ever performed well around twisting corners, when Eric Broadley designed a home for it, called a GT40! I suppose if you are a straight line jockey then driveability and handling aren't that important!
Having said all that I would love an alloy FE427, I suppose the next thing is buying more lotto tickets!

Happy New Year, get a S/B, come to the corner and throw your Balls out the window and work that right foot!

Ant

RACER X #99 01-03-2003 02:38 PM

Bigger is not always the best.

One of the most fun part of Driving schools is watching the self proclaimed "expert" beginners with their way too big motors trying to tear down the barricades and mow the infield grass. We usually can't tear these guys away from the shows but every once and a while one of them shows up at the track to "teach everybody" how it is done. I have seen more than one go home on the back of a rolloff.

Jack is right, start off small and learn how to drive. You can go bigger later.

Cranky

Carroll DeWeese 01-03-2003 02:50 PM

If you want a big torque and hp motor, include the cost of a good high performance school in the cost of the motor. I think that you should get a motor that you will grow into provided you treat it with respect. Too many people outgrow their smaller motors faster than they realize and then want something bigger. Do it right the first time.

RACER X #99 01-03-2003 03:27 PM

Carroll,
That would make sense if you could get some of these guys to go to a school. Most will travel half way across the country to show off their cars but very few will go to a school.
Look at all the threads where guys post their Dyno numbers, brag about bigger is better, who has the most HP. In reality the only thing they know about high performance driving is that they are not very good at it.
Of the hundreds of regular posters here only a handfull have ever attended a school to learn how to properly drive their cars. That's why they don't need those big motors.

Cranky:3DSMILE:

bnewell 01-03-2003 03:59 PM

Cranky ~ you are correct!! For all practical purposes, did I need a 600+ HP BB......hell no.

On the other hand, did I WANT a 600+ HP BB........hell yeah!!!!

Do I know how to drive a 600 HP/2600 lb. car to its limits...........nope.

I do however respect the cars power and potential. I would love to attend a driving school in the near future and have looked into it. I hope it works out.

Even with some driving skill, I doubt that I would ever track my car. And no, I don't do the car show scene either, but I do apply wax to it.

Brian "proud waxer" Newell

p.s. while your on the track I'll be picking up babes that are watching you ;) ;)

Dwight 01-03-2003 04:50 PM

JACK IS RIGHT!

Todd Baumann 01-03-2003 05:11 PM

StuM,
I also have the Stroker 427 from CHP, I went through a local shop that is thier distr. on this side of the world. We got the engine and then dynoed it at his facility. It was thier base build with no options whatsoever. The only thing that I did differently was put my Demon on top instead of the Holley, just to save a couple more bucks. It does have the warrenty and ran flawlessly. Produced 529 peak HP @ 5700 and 535 ft/lb torque @ 4400. What we did is after the dyno run and break in was to let them know that we had a couple of hickups while dynoing but had resolved them just so they know. Then if anything does happen down the road they shouldn't have to many problems with them honoring the warrenty. Also if there are any problems my guy here will end up doing the work here so that I won't have to ship the engine across the country for the fix. End result is that engines are being made much stronger and more reliable than ever, and you can't go wrong with the warrenty.
Good luck,
Todd

StuM 01-03-2003 05:36 PM

Thanks

Thanks guys. As expected this is not an easy sb/bb..., stroker, etc., type question. I appreciate the comments re power and control. I ran my M5 at Sears Point last year at a Russel HiPo driving school. Very helpful! Stable now includes '02 M3-SMG, '02 RT/10 Viper and '01 Lightening so use of high power on the street is well appreciated. The new SPF will just bring it back to a more basic and pure level. It's the 20-something son who I'm concerned about!!!