SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2003, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everrett Morrrison "New" 447 Ford Side Oiler ( Nitros)
Not Ranked     
Default C6 Trans ID???

Does anybody have any reference manuals on Ford C6 transmissions??? I have a Ford C6 Trans. and I am trying to find out what vehicles it was used in. I think it was used in 80-85 F-150 4W/D but I am not sure and I want to O/haul before install. The tag # is PGA-A. Any help would be greatly appreciatted
Old 03-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Squeaker,

This won't be much help but I looked in all of my transmission manuals and I don't have anything about the C-6. I am sure you have already tried this but if not try calling your local Ford Parts dept. They should be able to give you the breakdown on your numbers.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-03-2003, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response Ron, but, I am a retired Ford Dealer VP and we already checked our catalogs and they don't go back that far. I've already checked with some of my other dealer friends to no avail. It seems nobody kept those old catalogs.

Sq
Old 03-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 460 cu
Not Ranked     

Matzik Transmission, Altoona, PA ask for Jim he has been there a long time should have the info. Good builder also.
Howard Bosworth
Old 03-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

If the C6 you have is from a 80-85 4WD one thing is it will have a very short tailshaft and instead of a normal tailshaft housing with a mounting pad, it will have an adapter housing to bolt on a transfer case. Can you post a picture? Are there any other numbers? Casting numbers, etc.?
Old 03-04-2003, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello,
If the trans is indeed out of a F-150 It will have a small block bolt pattern. 289/302/351C/351W all have the same bolt pattern. If it came from a '80 to '85 it is most likely a 302/351 trans. If it is out of a 4X4 it will have a short output shaft and adapter tailhousing for a tranfer case as Kountzcobra mentioned. The 429/460 has it's own bolt pattern and the FE series engine has IT'S own bolt pattern.
Thanks Herny (Ford)
--Mike
Old 03-05-2003, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I want to start by saying I appreciate all the information you guys have given me. I have put some pics of the trans. in my gallery. I want to o/haul this trans. only because it has been sitting for about 10 years after it was o/hauled the last time and I don't want to take any chances of leaking dried out seals after the install. The trans. is a bolt up to my 427. I am also looking for an ext. housing as you will notice the one in the pictures has been machined down to accept a drive gear. (this trans. was going to be used in a 4Wd funny car I had.) When this was done it ruined the speedometer drive port which I now need. This trans. has not been used since it was built for competition use. I am also going to follow up your posted suggestions. If you have any further info after viewing the pics please let me know. If I cannot find the exact ext. housing I would be interested in knowing what ext housing of similar length I could use.

Squeaker
Old 03-05-2003, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The trans you have is from a '74 F-250 or F350 4X4 with either a 360 or 390. The early '70s 3/4 and 1 ton Ford 4X4s had a short tailhousing trans with a short driveshaft leading back to the transfer case which was mounted on it's own crossmember.
This is the shortest tailhousing you will find on a C-6. If you wish to use a standard type slip-yoke tailhousing and output shaft you will need to dissassmeble the trans to replace the output shaft. The good news is all of the parts are interchangeable and should be easy to get and will fit in your trans. I would look for an output shaft and tailhousing from an early '80s thru mid '90s 2wdF-150 thru F-350. Engine size dosen't matter because all (except some big Fords or Lincolns with bolt on yokes) C-6s have the same 31 spline output shaft. You might even still be able to buy these parts new from Ford. If you have to buy a whole trans look for one from a 6.9 or 7.3 diesel. The main case won't do you any good but all of the drums and clutch packs, as well as the servo are bigger and beefier. Transmissions was one of my main responsibilities during my ten years as a Ford dealership wrench.
HTH,
--Mike

Last edited by SFfiredog; 03-05-2003 at 06:55 PM..
Old 03-06-2003, 05:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi Squeaker,

4Wd funny car ??

You may want to figure out whether the trans also has a reverse pattern manual only valve body with a trans brake

Driving that on the street may be a bit, um, interesting

Regards,

Tom