SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Edelbrock Carb tuning

I have an Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) carb that I am trying to tune. I currently have .073 x .047 metering rods, .098 primary and .098 secondary Jets and the 4in Yellow Step-Up springs.

Heavy acceleration from a standing stop is very sluggish. I have moved the external setting for the Accelerator pump, and it does not get better (currently set on center hole). Rolling acceleration seems to be good. Timing is set to about 12 deg. before TDC and I just installed a Pertronix Ignitor.

What changes can I make to help?
Old 04-02-2003, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

remove carb, place in box, install holley.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters '66 427 Replica-SOLD
Not Ranked     

Put in your 8" step up spring and move accelerator pump to the innermost hole....Max squirt!!

This should help a lot!! If you have other metering rods try to go richer in the power mode.

Email me and I'll share my experiences getting mine right!!

It may not give the last HP the Holley will but it sure is less trouble once you richen it up!!!

Do keep in mind that they are set up very lean from the factory for "smog" reasons.

Good Luck,
Jack
Old 04-02-2003, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the same carb on my truck and had the same problem.
I moved to the 7" spring, (heavier spring means more vacuum required to stay in cruise mode so the idle to WOT is quicker to power mode), went to the innermost hole on the pump, and richer power mode on metering rod and that cleared up most of it. It seemed to improve a little be retarding the timing a couple of degrees as well. I now run at an initial timing of 10 degrees BTDC and max out at 34 degress BTDC at 2400 RPM.
Now it only chokes if it sits idling for a while just prior to jumping on it.

Sorry Mr. Fixit I'd rather give up a few horsepower on the top end and not have to replace power valves every 6 months.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmmm,

Just the reverse problem with my 750. Run so rich out of the box your eyes would water a block away with soot out the sidepipes. 2 buddies with 600's with the same symtom. Have leaned mine down 2 steps and then got the hesitation. I believe it has to do with the transition circuit. Am going to try an old trick after I pull the carb and check the butterfly position at idle. Two thirds of the idle opening should be exosed. If not a 3/32 hole through each butterfly is supposed to fix that.

** Someone stop me if they've been down this road. **
Old 04-02-2003, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Fixit

remove carb, place in box, install holley.
I second that
Old 04-02-2003, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Mr. Fixit and TP:

I thought I was going to be a real a$$hole and say the same thing you guys did, but you beat me to it.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 04-04-2003, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

The power valve myth is just that, a myth. Any holley made in the last 15 years has that problem solved, if it doesn't, than a quick check ball install to the baseplate is all it takes. How often does your motor backfire through the carb anyway?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Hi,
Someone has changed the factory settings, go back to them.
.098 primary jets
.095 secondary jets
.075 x .047 metering rod

your secondaries are way too rich with the bigger jet .

go back to the stock metering jet also.

turn front air screws all the way in and back them out 1 1/2 turns to start, turning them out richens up the mixture.

make sure you have decent vaccum or look for a leak.
good luck,
Perry.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As it turns out (after a call to Edelbrock) I was close. All I needed to change was to the 7 in spring. Runs great now.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Question

C_forshaw,
Does the carb you have handle really aggressive throttling in 2nd and 3rd gear without stumbling? What intake are you running?
Steven
Old 04-06-2003, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is no stumble on agressive throttle in any gear. I am running a Weiand intake.
Chuck
Old 04-06-2003, 08:37 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Talking

Me too....have to get up earlier in the morning to play the heavy these days......

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Frigo

Mr. Fixit and TP:

I thought I was going to be a real a$$hole and say the same thing you guys did, but you beat me to it.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-06-2003, 08:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Now, with that said, tell us a little more about your motor....

year of the block
year of the heads
Compression ratio
Cam profile
Type of intake
Automatic or stick shift

All will play a factor in how your particular carb should be set up. However, I can tell you from experience that the Edelbrock carbs do not lend themselves to performance, but more to the "bolt on and forgetaboutit crowd".........I sell them (Holley, Edlebrock, Barry Grant, Dan Best, etc), and have seen far too many replaced with a generic (yet quite tunable) Holley 08777C (650 double pumper), tuned properly (usually on a chassis dyno), that make more power, with better reliability than the Edlebrock units............

Bill S.

Old 04-06-2003, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a 1980 302 block (EOAE) with a Weiand of intake and Toploader 4sp (RUG-E)- wide ratio tranny out of '67 Mustang. I don't know to much more about the engine. I have a date with the dyno is a few weeks. That will tell me a lot more about the engine.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I suggest making sure that the dyno is equipped with a wife band O2 sensor, and that your bring along someone who can tune your carb while it is up there....You want as close to a 14:1 air fuel ratio as possible............

Bill S.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Smile

Bill,
Can you elaborate a little on your experiences as to the Edelbrock carbs? I ask, because I have not been able to eliminate the
stumble my friend's 347. I have tuned it per their book, experimenting to the extremes of the jetting and spring combos. We
dyno tuned it to around 14:1 with good transitions.
I suspect the carb is just not capable of handling really aggressive driving due to the combination of mechanical linkage to the
2ndrys and it having no 2ndry accelerator pump. (it just seems the air door design can not handle it) I posed this question to the
tech rep at Edelbrock and he danced around the question. I have also noticed they now make a version of the AVS carb. Will
they phase out the current offering due to it's limitations? Being in the business, what are you hearing?
Thanks
Steven

Last edited by Steve R; 04-06-2003 at 07:24 PM..