SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Optima Battery suggestion for 428

looking for a model number
will be sitting on a battery tray with a hold down...not going into a battery box. I am putting this in the trunk behind the pass. seat. Also I am using only a sidepost config as thats how I did my cables.

So is optima all that they are cranked up to be?? Noting that now our Cost-co stocks them.......

Here's the best info I could find in terms of an application for a 427 - 428. I have no accessories and the only load is an electric fan.

Optima

Tim
Old 04-02-2003, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

I have the Optima "Orange Top" battery in my car. Battery model # is R34. Part number is 8003-151. They're a little difficult to find, as opposed to the "red top" units which seem to be everywhere. The orange tops are necessary in some of the cars which mount the battery underneath the passenger side fender, because the positive terminal is reversed in location from the red top. The pole orientation on the orange tops allows the positive terminal to be "hidden" underneath the fender. My literature shows MCA = 980 amps @ 32 degrees; CCA = 750 amps @ 0 degrees. It turns my 427 stroker over like a top. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by chopper; 04-02-2003 at 05:34 PM..
Old 04-02-2003, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Optima

I have the Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery in my kit that has not hit the streets yet. My testimonial is that I purchased the battery a year ago and the only charge it received was from running the engine for a grand total of about one hour before I disconnected everything to put the body on the chassis. I got side tracked and didn't start the engine again until last weekend now that I have the battery permanently mounted in the trunk. This is in Michigan where it sat in my garage in the sub-freezing temperatures for months. Hit the starter on my 520 big block and it cranked over like it had just come off a charge. Took a few cranks to get the engine to fire, but the high torque starter had plenty of juice to handle the job from the Optima.

I can't comment on durability, but its ability to sit for extended periods and hold a charge is admirable!

Chuck
Old 04-02-2003, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback guys

Going to hit the stores tomorrow and see whats available
Tim
Old 04-03-2003, 06:59 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Something to keep in mind.........

The ONLY job the battery has, is to supply enough juice to start your engine.

After the car is running, the electrical needs of the car are supplied by the alternator, while the battery is being recharged.

I have to smile when I see people spending big bucks for some light weight, compact, battery when a regular cheapo one from any auto parts store will do the job. Now, if your looking to save a few pounds from the gross weight of your ride, then go for the little light weight stuff.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

20646:

You are correct, of course, BUT...

The old battery in my car was rated at about 480 cranking amps. It had a hard time getting the engine started. The Optima is 750 amps (cold) and 980 (warm); over twice what the old battery put out in the same volume package. Starting is much easier with less wear and tear on the starting components.

Also, the old battery was a conventional lead/acid. Most of the older ERA cars have the battery mounted up under the right front fender. If you have an FE, to install the battery you have to remove the right side valve cover, lay the battery on its side, slide it in past the rocker arms, tilt it back upright and rotate it 90 degrees. This is all much easier (not to mention safer) with a gel cell than a conventional lead/acid.

Finally, the gel cells are supposed to last longer. Optima warranties the battery for free replacement if it fails in two years. Most other folks only offer 90-180 day replacement warranties; after that, your refund is pro-rated very heavily. Here in AZ, with the hot weather, the average battery only lasts about two years. For me, it was worth the extra bucks. Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats my thought ...that I needed a battery where I wouldn't have to worry about acid and fumes whiles its all closed off in the trunk. Yes I could buy a cheaper one in the lead acid but I will see how the optima's price out.....going to Costco soon today. hell they may not even have the Model I need.
Thanks and I hear ya!
Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 04-03-2003 at 10:23 AM..
Old 04-03-2003, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I have a red one in my trunk. I like it cause it's sealed and does not need venting. Speedway motors has a nice aluminum billet tray/hold down for the Optima.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com

Also, I mounted mine on the drivers side, away from the gas hose.

Roscoe
Old 04-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I have the red top Optima battery mounted in the trunk of my car and it has been there since 1997 with no problems at all. I got the one with both the top and side posts and that way I can put my little battery tender on the top posts when the car is just setting in the garage during the Winters.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-03-2003, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Exact427
Not Ranked     

You may want to visit www.csxinfo.net in the forum section, 427 Cobra, Competition section. Believe this was about January.

There is a write-up on behind the right seat battery types and trade-offs. The battery I'm using weighs 13.5 lbs and costs $65 and is sealed. Believe these were originally helicopter batteries that the drag racers picked up.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

There is more than just CCA to a battery. How well they hold up to vibration and weather cycles are other things to consider. After having my Exide battery replaced 3 times in the first two months I swore I would never but a regular lead-acid battery for the Cobra. I have a Red Optima now. I bought it based on the desert racers stories down here. Supposedly you can endo the truck several times and the battery is still good.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bought one

Got it at Costco today. It's a redtop Model 75 and it's 720 CCA. My other choices from that website link in my first post were the 750 and 800 CCA
This was the only one I saw at the great wharehouse. They had some yellowtops too ( deepcycle)
So it was $159 CDN a lot cheaper than an autostore. I guess we see how it turns out.
Thats 107.90 US B4 taxes, was that a good deal??

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/opbat720cca.html
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/75_35.pdf

Costco was cheaper

Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 04-03-2003 at 09:24 PM..