SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-26-2007, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 302 cu in
Not Ranked     
Default Steering binding, cause?

Hello everyone! I just picked up a Shell Valley Cobra that I bought on eBay, so I am a real rookie when it comes to Cobras. During the 3 1/2 hour drive home the car performed perfectly except for the steering. After the car heated up, the steering started to bind in spots which caused me to have to jerk the steering wheel past the binding point in order to keep the car going straight on the expressway. After I got home and after the car cooled down, the problem went away. Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Have to wonder if the exhaust header/manifold or engine block etc is fouling on the steering column shaft at some point when hot or under engine load /torque.

Jac Mac
Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe done to replicate CSX-2299 at the '64 LeMans
Not Ranked     

I think you need to loosen all the set screws on the steering joints and move them around a bit to get them lined up better on the shafts. It is probably binding inside the joint because the shaft is going too far into the joint.

http://www.rehobothproperties.com/coupe.htm
Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Power or manual steering?

Terry
Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 351W
Not Ranked     

My steering linkage from SV was full of rust when I received it. Even after a can of Aerokroil and WD40, I still couldn't get the u joints as free as I felt they should be. I'll bet that is your issue. especially since one of the u joints is right above the header. Try squirting some penetrating oil through out the u joints and see if that helps. I ended up replacing all of the SV linkage with Flaming River stuff. Their u joints have needle bearings in them.

Sydney
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Bill,
can you post some pictures of the steering linkages?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 460
Not Ranked     

Have the exact same problem. I think it is the Plastic bushing on the end of the steering column.Mine is solid teflon like material. I took the shaft off and let the car heat up.(460 gets the column hot real quick) Made the same problem without the shaft connected. I think I'll find a roller bearing. It does make for an interesting driving experience though, doesn't it? Mike
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

It could be the steering shaft assembly is expanding in length when it get heated up from the headers causing it to bind. Just touch it after you have been driving awhile...it's hot. When it's hot or atleast still real warm loosen a set screw/nut and let the shaft find it's own comfort zone. The hotter the better. Retighten while hot and see if this helps. I did have a similar issue. Good luck
John
Old 08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the great feedback!

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback on my steering problem.

Answers to some of the questions and suggestions.
The steering is manual and the engine block nor the headers are interfering.

The steering linkage does pass right over the headers, so I suspect that is causing expansion of the u-joints and/or shaft and causing the binding. I cannot loosen anything to let it expand and then rethighten in the expanded position. The u-joints are welded to the steering shaft.

I think Sydney may have the solution, replace the u-joints with needle bearing ones from Flaming River.

Gman, I have not figured out how to take the shaft out and check for the bushing you talked about.

Naumoff, I have some pictures, but am not sure how to post them.

Again, thanks to everyone for the great feedback.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Could the heat from the headers actually be hot enough to bow the steering shaft and then when it cools down it go's back to normal?

Terry
Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't take anything apart. It is a common problem with the Shell Valley Kits. They had a run of steering racks that had the wrong grease inside of them. With the radiator down in front like it is, when the car gets hot, the steering rack becomes very stiff. Like driving a motorhome that the power steering went out on. It happened to mine. Fortunately for me, Dana at Shell Valley just sent me another one. (I bought mine from them). You may have to beg for a discount. Or locate one elsewhere. Otherwise you will really enjoy the car. They are very helpful at Shell Valley, so don't be afraid to call them.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

If the shaft has collars on it (inside the mounts) and is solidly mounted, it could be "growing" a few Thousandsths in length and jambing the bearings outward at the mounts. You may also have a dry U joint that is being adversly affected by the heat.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shell Valley

ksmiff,

As per your suggestion, I talked to Shell Valley and one of their techs. He told me how to regrease the steering rack. I will try that to see if it solves my problem. Found Shell Valley to very helpful. They are going to send my an assembly manual and parts list for my car at no charge. This will be a big help as I work through and fix problems.

Again, thanks to everyone for the great input. I am going to enjoy being a Cobra owner.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great. Let us all know how it turned out.

Kirt
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427 Ford FE
Not Ranked     
Default Any Update on this?

I'm having the same issue with my Midstates (shell valley)...after warming up, the steering begins to tighten up...cools down, back to normal.

Talked to Shell Valley and Dana also recommended adding grease to the steering rack...I tried it and the problem persists.

Can you share with me how you resolved this issue? Is it the steering column or the rack or the u-joints?

Thanks in advance,

G