SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #65 392 tremec
Not Ranked     
Default 392 dipstick too long

I have a small problem, I have a 392 stroker and the dip stick is in the front of the engine(timing chain cover I believe) (as opposed to the side of the pan near the rear) When my oil is drained the dip stick still reads over full!!!! I can hear it hitting the bottom of the pan and its pushed in the tube. My guess is that the dipstick is too long and probbaly designed for the rear of the pan so it woul go in the sump. Does anyone know the correct length for a front mount? If I cant get any lenghs or a corect stick I will cut this one off and fill th pan with correct amount of oil and drill a hole when it full and drill another hole when its short 1 quart but I would prefer to just buy the right part. Any ideas????
Old 12-24-2003, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2100X (Mk1) - Whipple Blown 331
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem with my Canton pan and dipstick and did what you described except I used a letter stamp to put a line across the dipstick at full and 1 qt low. Works well enough.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

that will work,but the best is to determine the proper length,,then cut the stick about 3/4 inch below the top where it goes into the tube,cut the long part at the top to the correct length,then drill two small holes 1/2 inch apart about 3/4 inches from the top ,{allow for this when you cut to length.
then over lap the two peices and use a mig to spot thru the two small holes. the goal here is to get the lenght correct but retain the original markings,you'll find many dipsticks are attached to the handle in thi smatter,those you can just drill out th espots and reweld after you shorten,,,Tim

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 12-26-2003, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok...This is a dual sump pan that came on the stoker from Ford motorsports, I believe its just a ordinary 5.0 mustang oil pan but its 5 qt. Since I have an oil cooler I figured that would eat up a quart so I dumped in 5 qts and let it settle and marked it then dumped the 6h qt in and made another mark when it settled. I will shorten and weld tomorrow. I talked to several folks today that said you cant take an oil
Old 12-26-2003, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok...This is a dual sump pan that came on the stoker from Ford motorsports, I believe its just a ordinary 5.0 mustang oil pan but its 5 qt. Since I have an oil cooler I figured that would eat up a quart so I dumped in 5 qts and let it settle and marked it then dumped the 6h qt in and made another mark when it settled. I will shorten and weld tomorrow. I talked to several folks today that said you cant take an oil reading from the front sump...I dont know why not since both sumps are submerged in oil??? Finally talked to a SVT dealer and they agreed it would be fine. I would use the rear sump position but my oil temp sending unit is plumbed and wired there and I hate to mess up a clean install. The dealer also said with regards to capicity that alot of 5.0 litre guys run 6 qts of oil in a 5 qt pan and there is no way the crank will get into the oil so I felt safe since I am using 6 qts and have the oil cooler to boot. Thanks for the tips!!!!
Old 12-27-2003, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 392
Not Ranked     

love the pics ,car looks great!Cant wait to get mine
Old 12-27-2003, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the compliment...But now I am wondering if the pan holds 5 qts, filtere holds a quart (thats 6) When the oil is drained hom much stays in the cooler and line????? If none drains out that changing the filter and adding 6 qts would make me full but if the hoses and cooler drain in the pan I will need an exrta quart. Does the quart in the lines and cooler stay put when the pan is drained????????? Please help...stressing over it now.