SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default How much will water temp drop after installing an oil cooler?

While I'm aware that my overheating problems could be traced to one of a dozen potential reasons, I'm wondering what you guys have experienced after fitting an oil cooler.

Today, my water temp hovered around 220 degrees, and the oil temp around 240 degrees. If I fit a good quality, large cooler, is it reasonable to expect the water temps to come down with the oil temps? By how much?

I'm getting sick of driving with one eye on the temp gauge

Thanks for any comments.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

750 HP
I did not have any overheating problems. Had agreat idea to install a Mocal oil cooler in the nose like others with an oil thermostat and suddenly I was having overheating problems 210 to 220. Went to a 160 from a 180 thermostat, went to water wetter instead of the green stuff, still ran hot about 210. Back flushed the system and made sure all the air was out, temp came down to 200 to 205. Have replaced the Griffin rad to a 2" wider Griffin unit and going back to the 180 thermostat and staying with water wetter. Hopefully, this works. Can't test it yet, lots of snow and only 2 degrees out lately.
I an thinking that the oil cooler is blocking the air flow to the radiator causing the higher temps. Hence going to the larger rad.
I hope it works, I would like to be about 190 to 195 most of the time.
JIm
Old 02-02-2004, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

I doubt the oil cooler blocking the rad. is causing any problems if it's fitted entirely inside the lower scoop like most. Unfortunately, there are so many variables that it's difficult to diagnose without changing one thing and testing, while holding all others constant.

I have a Griffin radiator, with oil cooler (no oil thermostat), electric pusher fans manually activated. My 427 SO runs a constant 160 at cruise, and 190 at idle with fans on. Oil temp is consistent with water temp, but I do cover the oil cooler with a homemade fiberglass cover in cooler weather, in order to get the temp up to proper level.

PNJ, if you got hotter with oil cooler, I would suspect the oil thermostat over anything else.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 02-02-2004 at 07:08 AM..