SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2004, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Not Yet
Send a message via AIM to ZacharyJ
Not Ranked     
Smile Does anyone know DV?

He is a memeber of another website i am also a member of to make a long story short i wrote an article explaining teh motorcycle accident i had a few months back and my steps to recovery, Because of my coice to get back on my bike he has offered to paint for for me. I am a very trusting person and would probably give this guy my parts without question he told me to go ahead on here and ask if he is known, so that is what i am doing, as well as he just showed me one of the coolest web sites dedicated to the car of my dreams. So if anyone kows him or has had experience with this guy let me know he really in my opinion sounds like a stand up person, and i am sure that anyone who reads this that knows hom will probably say the same Thanks Zach
Old 01-30-2004, 03:55 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Does he live in Ohio???? If so, you can find him

Bill S.HERE

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-30-2004, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never met the man, but have seen the interaction here and on the DVSF forum....... You will not do 'business' with a more stand-up guy than DV. I would send my stuff to him no reservations.....

David
Old 01-30-2004, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can also find him:

http://www.cobras.com/elite/docs/home.cfm
Old 01-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

I have seen some of his work and it is simply awesome. If you look up the word integrity in the dictionary you will probably find a picture of Ed (DV).

Brian
Old 01-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Are we talking about Ed "DV" of London, Ohio? Classics by Elite? That DV? But heck I thought EVERYBODY knew him,

I have personally met the man and have done some "business" with him. Real stand up guy, they don't come much better. Not surprising Ed would make such an offer, considering the circumstances, that would be "Classic" for him!

Funny thing though, I sure don't recall Ed being a motorcycle guy.

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 01-30-2004 at 05:42 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

This is the guy your mother had in mind when she said to stay away from strangers.

Obviously kidding. After Turk screwed me up by directing me to drive my car in the wrong place and I ripped the oil cooler scoop off the front of my ERA, DV INSISTED that I bring the car to his place so he could repair it. This happened Friday night before the Spring Fling in 2002. Despite having a thousand other things to do, DV repaired my car that night. He worked on it from 4PM until 11PM doing an outstanding job and REFUSED payment. He would only take a donation to Team Jenny/Cystic Fibrosis.

If you can't trust him, you can't trust anyone.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Uh...yeah. DV would never pound his own chest, he's far too modest. But I second Pats' last comment. If you can't trust DV, you can't trust anyone.
I have met him on several occassions and have talked at length with him (as well as visiting his shop). First class top to bottom!!!

If the Cobra is the car of your dreams, you NEED to attend the DVSFIV (yes, named for it's creator and host DV). Search threads for DVSFIII and you'll see what I mean.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

DV eh... could that be the same guy that had the big Harleys in his garage. Maybe not Harleys but big anyway. I never met the man, oh wait, yes I have, he tried to put a move on my wife once. No, that was a different DV. I think this DV is a pretty good guy from what I hear. Just kidding ED! If he said he will paint your bike then he will. If he won't, I've got several cans of John Deere green here.
Don
Old 01-30-2004, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Ditto the above! Ed Combs, aka DV for Double Venom is about a stand up guy you'll ever want to meet. I've met him personally at DVSF, have collaborated with him on line, and off line.

He doesn't bring this up unless someone elce does, and then just humbly admits it. He's a retired Police Officer, and a well respected member of the Columbus/Dublin Ohio community. He's not kidding when he says he just loves old street rods, hot rods, and musclecars.

The man obviously isn't trying to get rich. He busts his butt every year promoting DVSF and the proceeds all go to charity.

The Classic Roadsters Cobra is arguably one of, if not the best in the replica Cobra industry. Mine has been called, the Cadillac of Cobras. That being said, there are some engineering updates to the car that are past due. The car was developed in the late '80's, and introduced to the market in '89 - '90. Few engineering updates have been incorporated into the design, and component recommendations.

Other replica manufacturers, FFR being a good example, have kept pace with suspension and braking improvements based on late model Mustangs, and T-Birds, and incorporated them into their Cobra designs.

Under new leadership of Don Scott and Ed Combs, the engineering updates should be forthcoming with the "Big stuff", all late model Ford and aftermarket Ford components. (Thus allowing the '74 - '78 Mustang II to rest in peace), and "Little Stuff", ease of assembly packages that bolt together and work the first time! (Steering columns, front suspensions, rear suspensions, motor mounts, trans mounts, brakes, e-brakes, radiator and mounts, etc., etc.)

There is a euphamism among replica car builders, "You don't have to be an engineer to build one of these things, but your chances of success are a whole lot better if you are." These cars have got to be able to be built/assembled by non-engineers. Ordinary Hot Rodders should be able to put these things together using factory instructions, factory parts kits, and on-line tech support.

And there ought to be something of a caveat stating that if the builder has never done so much as a brake job or tune-up, much less an engine overhaul, the assembly of an entire car might best be left to others. (Or give the builder a feel for what should be subcontracted, such as engine assembly, electrical wiring, brake and fuel plumbing, interior upholstry, and body prep and painting.)

If there were ever any two guys who've been there, and done that, than Don Scott and Ed Combs are the guys who will turn this around. But, they can't do it alone. They're going to need our help to do it. Our technical savvy, know how, what works and what doesn't, available to the guy (and perhaps his significant other), in the garage at 4 AM trying to figure out how the gosinta connects to the comesouta is going to play a significant role here.

Last edited by Jack21; 01-30-2004 at 06:40 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jack21, I think I like you!! All in favor of adding Jack21 to the CR ask Don and DV area say I. All kidding aside I appreciate the help you give to the CR fans. Both Ed and I are so busy it's sometimes hard to get out here and respond. I'm not opposed to adding your name if you have the time.
Don

PS. my Dad used to ask me if I could double his salary every year and I said sure Dad ! 100% of 0 is still zero! So I offer you the same deal.

Last edited by dscott; 01-30-2004 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

So, How is Ed's new shop coming? There was a thread on ALL COBRA TALK, but I cant seem to find the thread.....just wondering if he has heat in the building yet!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Don, we met at DVSF III.

There are a few of us that hang out here, I'm one, Petek is another, Klayfish, is another, and likely a few more.

Call it the CRII Staff where any of us will answer questions, make reccomendations, and help builders get their cars on the street.

Yes, list me along with others with specific expertise in building these cars.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NONE
Not Ranked     

JACK21, IWAS WONDERING WITHOUT CALLING CLASSICS BY ELITE ;HOPE THATS THE RIGHT CO, HOW TO FIND PRICES ON KITS OF THEY SELL THEM THAT WAY.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

EVERYONE KNOWS DV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you think he's nice for offering to paint the bike, you should see what he does for chocolate chip cookies.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

DV's face is actually appearing in the next Macquarie Dictionary to illustrate the word "integrity". If he's shown you any of the cars or helmets that he's painted, you'll know that he can do wonders with a spray gun, too!!!

Any guy that spends hundreds of hours each year to raise funds for his nominated charity must be someone special.

Craig
(PS - I hope your recovering OK from whatever happened on your bike....)
Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

You mean this guy?

Can you trust this guy?

With a smile like that, sure you can!
Attached Images

Who is John Galt?
Old 01-31-2004, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Ed a.k.a DV is one of the best people you will ever meet. I dropped off my cobra last fall to have some body modifications done and they did a wonderful job. Handed him the keys and siad see you in a couple of weeks. Some people would just turn over their wives or girlfriends as soon as hand the keys to their cobra. I knew the car was is better hands than with me

Jay is often forgotten as he does quite a bit of work as classic by elite what I said about DV goes the say for Jay.

J.A.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack21, I remember you (how could I forget). That's a good idea for the forum. I'll have Brent change the name.
Don