SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't have one thanks to Carlton Wayne Bridges aka Grumpy!
Send a message via AIM to sigx97
Not Ranked     
Question Technical and building comparisons

OK not sure where to post so I did here because of the knowledgeable people who read this. I am a newbie selling my 1969 mustang so I can get into cobras.

From what I gather Shell Valley and FFR seem to be the leaders and the most popular in the hobby. My questions are:

Which of the 2 go together better and why? Does one have better instructions than the other?

Which one is the least expensive? Does this mean a sacrafice in quality?

Here is the one that will probably be the hardest to answer but what are 2 good reasons to buy one over the other?

As I said before I am new and I am selling my mustang to get into this and it seems very overwhelming. If you also have any articles to read please by all means pass them on. I am stupid with this subject so the basics will really help me. Also I am in Nashville, Tn so if there are any locals with Cobras please let me know.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 02-27-2004, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates work in progress, personally built 302
Not Ranked     

Brandon,

It is a very trick question to ask who are the leaders, because you will get as many answers as there are manufacturers. If you use the search here on CC concerning mfr comparisons or "which kit?" you will start to see the different flavors available in the ice cream shop...

I believe that the "best" manufacturer is the one that has the product that suits your desires the best. All have strong and weak points.

Use the info you find here in the threads. Visit www.cobracountry.com and www.cobratrader.com (and others) to see other opinions. Narrow the list of manufacturers down to 6 or so and give them a call and/or a visit. You will pick up a lot of "knowledge" about the manufacturer by just visiting their shop. Shell Valley and FFR have sold a lot of cars, but they are by no means the only players you should look at.

You can also search here for users that live in your area. Talk to them and see what they've done. Heck, give me a call and I tell you all I can about Midstates and why I picked them...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Got to agree with zipzip. It's always good to visit the different manufacturers if you can, but it's far more valuable to talk to people who own , and especially those who have built, the brands of Cobras you are interested in. If you find such owners, they'll probably let you sit in the driver's seat so you can "try it on", maybe even give you a ride. Cobra owner's are generally anxious to show off their cars. You can also get more valuable information from someone who has built a Cobra than from the manufacturer, because the manufacturer certainly isn't going to tell you anything bad about their product. Seeing Cobras from as many different manufacturers as possible will help you decide which one is best for you. They all look pretty much the same and they all go real fast, but they are all different in their own way. Isn't there a big Mustang celebration in Nashville this year? I would think that would be a good place to see several Cobras from different manufacturers.

Good luck, sigx97. Most of us have been where you are now, and we know what you're in for. We're ready to help anytime. Have fun.

Bumpster
Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: starting out
Not Ranked     

You know one thing I have noticed that is common to all kit car manufacturers’ is the reluctance to reveal the total price of the project. I realize the sky is the limit but still if a company is worth it’s salt, they should have a real good idea of cost. This and the fact they don’t explain or tell you of the “special” parts requirements their cars have. Until you are into the project, that is.
I still have not decided witch one to get. I am going to see B&B next Monday.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Least expensive usually means, least complete. You invariably get what you pay for.

I don't know about Shell Valley, but FFR is the leader in sales because the price is affordable to more people. But if you look at FFRs you'll see a wide variation in quality of the build, body & paint, and components, etc. Some manage to build one for $20-something-K, while a few have $50K or more in them. It's purely a function of time, materials, skill, and/or how much is in your checkbook.

There's no comparison between the $20K FFRs and the $50K ones. However, in the end, it doesn't matter because it's all about what you want and how much enjoyment you get out of it.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

ebigs you have email:

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 03-13-2004, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I can speak up for the FFR. They have a new MK3 coming out soon which as an option can host the newer 4.6 sohc and dohc mod motors as well as the big blocks. The new frame is the best yet and can accept a wider 315 tire in the rear. As stated you can spend $20-50 grand building one. Mine will be around $30 when done with all new parts except for the 63 406. But that too has been fully sorted and being rebuilt. This is with me doing all the work except body and paint. But check out all the kits you can. There are some good ones out there and buy the best you can afford. No matter which you choose it's a great hobby. Check out the FF forum. www.ffcobra.com G.