SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Almac, 428FE
Not Ranked     
Default Oil pumps and oil radiators

Hi there from down under (Invercargill New Zealand "The Worlds Fastest Indian Country"). I've been a member for a number of years but never made a thread, probably because my cobra project has basically been several boxes of parts in the spare room until now. Now that the chasis is on its way and I have my 428 sitting in the garage in parts I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the right oil pump to use for my engine rebuild. I want to run a front mounted oil cooler as you do with a cobra but was wondering with the extra plumbing whether a Melling high volume oil pump will do the job or do I need to go to a high volume high pressure pump?
Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

Regards
Craig
Old 01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Melling high volume is more than adequate. I have one and an oil cooler and have 80 lbs pressure cold idle and 60 - 65 hot. This pump is not a high pressure pump.

BTW - I've been to Invercargill. I've been to NZ seven times and if I could have convinced the wife, I'd already be living in Russel or Pahia!

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim, Thanks for the reply, would have been a nice part of NZ to be living in had you made the shift.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Craig,

A HV oil pump is all you will need. I would also reccomend installing an oil thermostat with your oil cooler setup. The low temps down your could have the oil running too cold. The thermostat setup bypasses the cooler till the oil gets up to temp. It helps get the oil up to operating temp a bit quicker too.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Invercargill for many years. They have since moved to Australia where it's a bit warmer for their retirement. They used to look after the light house at Puysegur Point Puysegur Point Lighthouse

I've still got a couple of cousins down there.

Cheers

Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion of running an oil thermostat it sounds like a good idea although I'm having to admit that where I live is not the most tropical place in the world. Hell Puysegur Point now there's a ruggid piece of coastline.
When I started this post I was worried people wouldn't know where NZ was, how wrong was I!