Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   15" Tires coming in fall (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/63607-15-tires-coming-fall.html)

kajun 04-18-2005 02:07 PM

15" Tires coming in fall

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.html

flipper35 04-18-2005 05:04 PM

Any info on how sticky they may be or what the speed rating is? I see LT on the label.

DealsGapCobra 04-18-2005 07:13 PM

I want them NOW!

Yeah, I know...I am also 37 and still can't sleep on Christmas Eve.

Yetiman 04-18-2005 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DealsGapCobra

I want them NOW!

Yeah, I know...I am also 37 and still can't sleep on Christmas Eve.

LoL ! my thoughts exactly...

kajun 04-19-2005 03:55 AM

keep posting replys...

keep posting those replys so I can foward this thread over to mickey thompson tires.com. I emailed them about the sizes for my cobra and they responed the same day! and they will have the correct sizes for my cobra. the tech guy at mickey thompson referred to the tread pattern as flame tread.

rob frink 04-19-2005 05:53 AM

I'm interested!!! It's a cool looking tire...and I hope it's sticky!

I'm anxiously watching.....MT please hurry!

Sincerely,
Rob

RedBarchetta 04-19-2005 07:45 AM

No 17's, huh? :confused: And the LT designation is for Light Truck.....hmmmmm.

rdorman 04-19-2005 09:01 AM

I want a set NOW!!!
Thanks
Rick

kajun 04-20-2005 02:57 AM

15"

I know there are more people out there that are looking for a 15" tire like this one. Please speakup so we can get MT to put it in high gear and start getting this tire produce. Also, if anyone can see a downside to this tire, please let me know. I came across an ad for these while shopping for bigger wheels and more aggresive tires.

Kajun

Mickey Thompson® Introduces The Sportsman® S/R® !

Biggest DOT Street Legal Radial for Hot Rods and Street Rods
Stow, Ohio-A new spin on the infamous Mickey Thompson Sportsman tire with a unique flamed tread design and radial technology. The biggest high performance street legal radial tire available! Use on Hot Rods, T-Buckets, Street Rods, and Muscle Cars. Perfect for vehicles that have shortened rear ends and tubbed fender wells to accommodate these super wide rear tires. Matching front “skinny” tires compliment the look of your vehicle. Rear Tire diameters from 26" to 33".

The Sportsman S/R Radial Features:

Unique tread design for enhanced appearance.

Polyester/fiberglass radial construction for
a smooth comfortable ride.

Rim flange protection protects wheels

Directional tread pattern designed for improved wet traction

15”, 18” and 20” rim diameters

kajun 04-20-2005 03:08 AM

tire pics

badass!

kajun 04-20-2005 03:21 AM

tire pics again

1 Attachment(s)
wow!

rdorman 04-20-2005 04:25 AM

I called Discount Tire (nationwide and a MT distributor) about these tires. They called MT and told me that they will be available in a month or two. Prices have yet to be set.
Rick

mr0077 04-20-2005 04:34 AM

Like Red said above, the LT is for "light truck"...anyone know if that would be a down side for use on a Cobra? Good looking tire...

RallySnake 04-20-2005 06:45 AM

mr077,

I run the Toyo Proxy S/T LT tire. They last a long time (if you don't run over a curb or anything) and are very stable. The breakaway is controlled and predictable even though the sideload adheasion limit is not very high. Braking is very good, even in the wet. They are very comfortable high speed cruising tires. I expect the MT's to be similar. So much depends on rubber compound, though. The real test will be the first autocross after I get them on my car. :D

I've ran several set of bias ply MT Competitor Series tires on my Cobra. They were very sticky and gave tremendous traction because the rubber compound was so soft. A set would last a year, if I was lucky.

Paul

Curt C. 04-20-2005 04:51 PM

What is the treadwear rating? Anything above 300 will be pretty hard. What is the speed rating? UtOQ rating will tell us quite a bit.

One other thing. Tire diameter goes from 26 to 29. 26 is pretty short compared to most of the 15 inch tires we run. 295/50/15 is 26.8 or something like that. Dropping an inch will increase gearing as well as increase the gap between the tire and fender. Most of us would be really hard pressed to get a 29 inch tire in back. Tell your contact we want a 27x11x15.

cbmax 04-20-2005 05:31 PM

I hope this pans out very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping my ERA 427 will be done by 7/1.

Will be looking for:

295/50/15 rears

235/60/15 fronts

Can someone explain how to read the M/T tire sizes?

CB

Curt C. 04-20-2005 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cbmax

Can someone explain how to read the M/T tire sizes?

They are in inches. Diameter x width x rim size

ALLEN ENGLISH 04-20-2005 08:21 PM

Cool looking tire. I hope they make a 275/50/15" tire for the Factory Five Cobras also.

clayfoushee 04-20-2005 08:37 PM

I sent an e-mail to MT a couple of days ago, and gotten no response.

kajun 04-21-2005 08:16 AM

1st e-mail from MT

Kajun,

The 295/50R15 tire has the following specs:

Overall Diameter - 26.7"
Section Width - 12.2"

The Sportsman S/R tire similar in size is the 26x12.00R15:

Overall Diameter - 26.0"
Section Width - 12.0"

The 235/60R15 tire has the following specs:

Overall Diameter - 26.1"
Section Width - 9.5"