SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gardner Douglas 427 Euro
Not Ranked     
Cool conversion to straight!!

Thought the subject would at least get some attention!

Having just acquired a Lone Star ( I do mean JUST, as in 2 hours ago) one of the first htings I want to do is convert it to straight exhaust pipes from the ridiculously loud side pipes. after drving it 50 metres (ok yards!), setting off a car alarm and attracting the attention of every living being within 2 ZIP codes it was settled, they have to go.

So, do Lone Star do a standard system? Is it worth opting for or should I simply find a talented exhaust place and get something made up?

Judging by the number of Cobra owners that CAN still hear and dont have blood trickling from their ears there must be others that have straights on a Lone Star?

With the V8 still ringing in my ears,
Paul
Old 05-29-2005, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Paul - there is some things you can do to side pipes that will quiet them down but it will effect performance too. Going to a under the car exaust system will give you about the same performance as quieted sidepipes. I just put a 2 1/2 inch dynamax system on a race mustang for the street and those pipes were amazingly loud too, and that system had more street performance than straight pipes. Of course you don't get side pipe hickeys with under car exaust systems, and as I get older that means something.
cobrashock
Old 05-29-2005, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Paul,
I don't think the way a Lonestar chassis is made leaves enough room for an under car exaust. But depending on the year of your car and type, they have a few different chassis designs. The sidepipes that came from Lonestar will blow out the packing in about 500 miles and yes , your ears will ring all night long. Contact Boffin Motorsports for their sidepipes or anybody else for that matter for quieter sidepipes.
Tim
Old 05-29-2005, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oops, deleated.

Last edited by cobrashoch; 05-29-2005 at 09:06 PM..
Old 05-29-2005, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the lone star body pan, made out of steel and could it prove to be quiet too. There is some room under there, but not much. Guess it depends on how bad you want under the car exhaust. They do sell rectangular shaped tubing you know, and a custom system would not be that big of a deal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
cobrashock
Old 05-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Setting off car alarms with your side pipes is just one of the many benefits of owning a Cobra. My favorite pass time.

If you have one of them yellow trophies by your name you can "delete" your entire POST not just "edit" it. One of the many benefits of haveing a trophy.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-29-2005 at 10:35 PM..
Old 05-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

To loud? To loud? What's up with that? You attracted attention? Isn't that part of the reason you bought the Cobra? How can that puppy draw women in from surrounding counties if you won't let it sound off? Pull the pipes out? Doesn't sound manly to me, I say leave them in there and get the job done!

Just my twisted view, Steve LOL
Old 05-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whilst I would agree that everyone has their own way of doing things I prefer to keep the noise to a level that you can at least shout to a passenger at idle!

I have no problem with a decent exhaust note/level but these ones are just ridiculous. Having been to many Cobra meets in the UK this car would without doubt be the loudest I have heard. This level of noise doesnt say, 'what a great car' more a swaggering 'look what I have got that you dont' hence the need for change.

Thanks for the input, I will contact Lone Star and see what options there are for my specific chassis and talk to the guys mentioned for the quieter side pipes.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

Go with quiet SIDE PIPES!! IMO: the side pipes are half of the "charm" that a cobra has (unless you prefer the other kind more, which I don't). A cobra without side pipes looks naked to me. Also, it sounds to me like your sidepipes have blown out the packing.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Paul,

I don't know what engine you have, but I have a friend with a great 302 and his is so quiet that if he drives by at normal speed and you have your back turned all you hear is the gravel and wheel noise as the tires roll. On the other hand, mine is a tad noisy. When I start it, the neighbor's window falls down.
But they make baffels and other ways to quiten them down and really not lose a lot of power.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-30-2005, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ram 427 SC CSX6042. Chev 355. Quad Weber DCNFs
Send a message via ICQ to mylesdw
Not Ranked     

Fit an under car system with a balance pipe, they sound fantastic. Hardly anyone is impressed by loud sidepipes, the reaction from the average bystander is "what is wrong with that car?"
Old 05-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So I'm driving down the street, just crusing slow, and this little red car pulls up beside me. The guy sticks his cell phone out the window and yells, "Let me hear the pipes".

I "toss him side pipes" a couple of times and left him grinning ear to ear.

On the down side, one of the hazards with these cars is people pulling up beside you, blocking traffic, getting to dam close and holding cell phones out their window to hear the side pipes!
Old 05-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry bleeding liberty@!

I read in another post that someone occasionally returned to his car to find someone sitting in it, playing with the steering wheel etc. On the occasions they asked him permission and he said no they got pretty annoyed!

I give up!!!!