SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     
Default Best, simple paint sample technique?

I have purchased 5 different blue acrylic 12oz. spray cans from PPG's library. I want to simulate their colors on my Kirkham by producing painted panels. What would you suggest for the panels and what process should I use for prep and painting. I'm not going to paint my car personally, I just want to take my time and look at the colors in different light. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

What are you painting? Aluminum? Fiberglass?

Sand with about 600 grit...wipe it down with a cleaner....shoot it with primer....sand again...shoot with color....you gonna shoot it with clear too?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by blykins

What are you painting? Aluminum? Fiberglass?

Sand with about 600 grit...wipe it down with a cleaner....shoot it with primer....sand again...shoot with color....you gonna shoot it with clear too?
I was going to get some aluminum pieces but if I use a primer, does it matter what I use as long as it bonds and the surface finish is fine? No, I bought single stage paint for the samples. I'm looking for large color differences... not subtle ones.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Actually I've never shot aluminum.....or even looked into it....isn't there a special primer needed for aluminum?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the reading I've done, you're supposed to use a primer designed for galvanized steel.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Automotive paint has transparent qualities....it's hue and depth can be altered by the color of the primers beneath it! That's how custom shops that paint candies get those crazy colors...painting a silver base coat gets much different results than a gold base coat (as just one example).

Light colors tend to use light tinted primers, while dark colors tend to go with dark primers. Check with local auto body paint shops and ask them what color primer they would use under the color coat you intend to go with. Then go to a local scrap metal supplier (or metals shop) and buy some small scrap pieces of sheet steel. Prep them like you would your car (primer and sand with 600 grit). Then layer on 3-4 "double coats" (over-lapping strokes) and definitely follow it up with 3-4 coats of clear (just like you would on the real car). If you paint them horizontally, then you won't have much orange peel and probably won't have to worry about color sanding and buffing. It's always easier spray painting a table!

I've painted a few cars....the best education is practice.

Good luck!

-Dean
Old 06-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pipes;

Back when I was working in a body shop and someone wanted to look at the "color books" to pick a color for a car we would show them the books,but also suggest you go to any or as many as you want auto dealerships and look at all their cars and trucks for paint color,you'll see them in all kinds of light and then pick the one you like,open the drivers door and look at the tag in the door jamb,there it will have the year model and paint code,write those two numbers down and bring to your paint supply/body shop and they can order that particular paint and you'll already know what it will look like on your car...........

We had quite a few people pick a color from a chart only to be dis-satisfied after the car was painted the color they picked,always thought it would be darker/brighter/lighter than the color chart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at vehicles already painted a certain color is the best way in my opinion.........

BTW;this is exactly what I did for my 65 Mustang road race car,picked a red from a 2005 Ford truck..........

Also,you definetly have to use a different primer/sealer for aluminum,ask your painter,he should be familiar with this...........

David
Old 06-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I agree with David. Go to different dealerships and look at the colors on the cars. It will give you a much better idea of what the finished color will be.
I hit about a dozen before I made my final decision and feel the effort was well worth it.
DonC