SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Clutch

What clutch is recommended for a big block with 650-675 ft-lbs of torque?

Surely, low gear won't get traction, but 4th ans 5th gear will and these would put a lot more load on the clutch.

I am concerned about too much pedal effort, but I don't need it to be (or want it to be) Honda light. . .
Old 12-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

There are many choices, a lot depends on the other components you have "in line" with your drive train, whoever you are using for your tranny purchase should be able to recommend a matching component.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will make some phone calls, but here is what I will have:
FE big block with a Tremec TKO 600R 3.42 gears and 295-50-15 Yoko's out back.

What do you guys think of the dual disc setup now available. How does this help? Any drawbacks?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would recommend the new Ram dual disk setup, excellent holding power for the torque range you have and you won't notice a difference in pedal pressure from a stock clutch. In my opinion it is one of the best dual disk clutch sets on the market, it also comes with a aluminum flywheel. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi G
I would recommend the new Ram dual disk setup, excellent holding power for the torque range you have and you won't notice a difference in pedal pressure from a stock clutch. In my opinion it is one of the best dual disk clutch sets on the market, it also comes with a aluminum flywheel. jimig@standardtransmission.com
I had heard that these types of setup had a lot of noise and vibration as a drawback. Have you experienced one?

I spoke with Centerforce today and they recommended the Dual Friction set that they have with their aluminum flywheel with replaceable steel friction surface. What do you think of that idea?

They said it can hold 600 ft-lbs in a 60's (heavy) Mustang and should handle 700 ft-lbs easy on a 2400 lbs car.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Ram dual disk has a chatter strip that goes around the disks that keeps them from making noise, as for the dual friction Ram also has that and it will hold the same, if not a hair more power. The only draw back to the dual friction clutch sets is they are very aggressive and the pedal pressure will be much greater than stock. They are also jumpy in rev. and when you are creaping thru a parking lot. The dual disk will not have any of those factors. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Old school ,McLeod alluminum flywheel -11.5" clutch and pressure plate with 1 3/8" ' input shaft. The flywheel will accept many different configureations sizes up to 12" .

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 01-02-2007 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

I use the McLeod with a 12in dual friction disk. With the 600, you have a 1-1/8 input shaft, so you need the GM 12 in disk. I use a external slave that I had resleeved to .75 in with a requested .75 in master from the Kirkham. This setup works extremely well, but the pedal effort is heavier than a normal passenger car. What does the guy finishing the car recommend? That is probably what he is familar with and probably the best for him.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

One of the determining factors of clutch effort is clutch pedal length. I have a longer clutch pedal which has a greater mechanical advantage. The travel is slightly longer, but the effort is greatly reduced.

I'm no expert.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Ledyard
One of the determining factors of clutch effort is clutch pedal length. I have a longer clutch pedal which has a greater mechanical advantage. The travel is slightly longer, but the effort is greatly reduced.
Was your pedal custom or the stock Kirkham?

I drove your car and the clutch did not stand out to me, so it must not have been too bad. What clutch do you have?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Rob:

I have the pedals that go with the dropped foot box. They are about an inch longer. I have either a Ram or McLeod clutch that KC and KMP recommended.

I'm no expert.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, I made some calls and decided on the Mcleod Street Twin Setup. . . . It will hold 1200 ft-lbs, so I should not even tax it. . . Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford F100; 496 Shelby, MassFlo, BlueThunder, Kee-Al-TopLoader, Detroit Locker
Not Ranked     

Are you going to go with the whole kit or just the clutch and pressure plate? Murphy had recommended the Kirkham HTOB. Thanks, Scott