SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kitcarstogo 89 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Strut cap lowering, ideas please

I'm trying to lower the top strut mounting plate without cutting the cross member brace, I need to lower it about 4 inches so the body sits on the frame at the correct height, any ideas? Would welding in a new plate 4 inches under the existing one be strong enough to hold the struts? I have attached a picture and hope it shows up so you can see the problem.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2007, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To get a better idea, look at the thread below, or the one Kitcarstogo is selling in the adds on this site. This is the same kit I bought, and even with Motor and tranny installed, it still sits this high, as it shows in the adds. I do not want to cut the front strut tower X bar, but need to lower 4-6 inches. Kitcarstogo said cut the springs, I don't think that will work. Also, I may have a problem with engine clearance once the strut towers are lowered. I only have 4 inches of clearance from the bottom of the oil pan to the ground so the manifold may be higher then the top of the fenders. I guess I can place a hood scope on the hood to clear the manifold. Any ideas would sure help, it realy looks UGLY the way it is. Are shorter struts made for 87-93 Mustang? I have not found any on the internet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8962299&rd=1,1

Last edited by geoz3; 06-11-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

It looks to me that lowering the top strut plate will raise the car. Is that what you're trying to achieve? Post some more photos in your gallery so we can see a little more of your dilemna. Spend a little time talking with the guys that sold you the kit. They understand it better than anyone they built it. You'll figure it out, don't cut or move anything yet!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     

I've always thought that those struts wouldn't fit right. But just how can lower the car 4 to 6 inches and still keep the oil pan off the ground. Are you trying to lower just the body or the whole car. It sounds like it will be major work regardless not difficult just lots. sorry but you will have to modify the X-brace, or maybe replace it. your oil pan should be no lower than the frame. So engine mounts may need work as well. locate a set of lowering springs for the front and move the strut plate down strut should be in the middle of its travel, and then when the frame is at ride height then remount the engine as to fit in the proper space. This is not the end of the world but you have a little bit of work ahead of you. just remember to set everything at ride height and the look will follow.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will get some shots of it today and post them. (Mickmate) No I'm trying to lower the top of the strut mounting plates to get the front part of the body to sit on the frame at the correct height. Builder is no help, claims kit has no warranty, he said read the fine print. (Fasterpatrick) My oil pan now sits about 6 inches below the bottom of the frame rail. I guess I will also have to rework the transmission and rear end. Kitcarstogo mounted the entire drivetrain in the frame they built. So to raise the engine means raising everything inline, Tranny, and rear end, WOW, I think I might be better off buying a new frame. You don't have a extra frame you want to sell do you? Thanks guys.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The Hot Rodders are the best scratch building resource I have locally. Simple theory, build the car around the wheels. Get the suspension loaded to ride height. We use a stick or rod drilled at both ends the length of a shock in the middle of travel. You might want a set of cut springs for setting it up or load it to settle. Then get the drivetrain in place with the carb flange level(you don't have? help Pat) so your motor with the oil pan you're going to use (low profile?) has it's butt level with the frame bottom. Then try hanging a body over the whole thing or mocking it up for stance, ride height and "attitude" of the car.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got ya. It looks like I need to rework the whole frame. This is payback from the Kit Car gods. The lesson here is "LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP"
Old 06-12-2007, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 1014
Not Ranked     

Kwality....... "Builder is no help, claims kit has no warranty, he said read the fine print."

Sorry to hear that Geoz3, I guess let this be a warning to other folks looking at these cars.

Cheers,
Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You got it.