SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     
Default Need Kind Words of Encouragement

Well, I spent the weekend in the garage, cleaning, rearranging, hanging cabinets, and piddling with the Cobra......

got a lot accomplished on the garage and a little on the car..... .............set the body back on for a couple of things that need to be done with it on...hopefully when I take it off in a few weeks it will be the last time I have to take it off....

Well, today, I LOOKED at the COBRA..... and then I proceeded to put Christmas Lights up... ......boy I "HATE" walking/sliding around on that metal roof............ ...............then I LOOKED at the COBRA some more...........

Hey guys, I'm getting discouraged....
It seems like every time I turn around (I know, quit turning around ) there is a new problem.. ....is it that way with every BUILD???????????????

I NEED ENCOURAGEMENT
Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Just do ONE thing every day and before long you will be driving it.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Funny, when I saw your parts for sale and then the title of this post I thought something happened that put an end to the Cobra build...

I am pretty relieved that it isn't a family or health issue, for what that is worth.

I think these projects are more abandoned than 'finished'... even when they are on the road there is always something .

What you need is a nice Fall outing in Northern Ga to pick up your spirits...

And if it helps... I am jealous that you are likely farther along in a build than me...

-John
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Every thousand mile journey begins with the first step. I guess to finish the journey it will take step after step after step. Look back, and see how far you have come, and then just take the next step. The end will come soon....
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Performance Cars Venom 427 Keith Craft 408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo
Not Ranked     

I agree with WTM442, try to do one hour a night. You will not only begin to see the progress after a week, actually doing something will keep you in a positive frame of mind, as opposed to just thinking about things, which will inevitably lead to a bad mental state. And yes, every build has problems, but as problems go these are not bad ones to have, as they can all be solved with work and persistence (and maybe some cash ).
Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I am in a similar spot; hit some hardships in some key areas but I keep reminding myself that there are a million other items I can work on while my mind sorts out the other issues...it got so bad for me that I rewired my harley....now I am hoping back on the build.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 AM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Warren is right!
Pace yourself and make sure you move ina positive direction. Think about the plan and take action. For example, before I changed my radiator I had it all planned out in my head. It was frustrating and time consuming however I spent a small amount of time each night on it. As things come together it will become more satisfying every time.

Just don't over kill the project. Never go backwards, you need to always move forward.

Best of luck!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you're going through the same thing many of us do, I know I went through it. You received good advice so far & now I'll give you my two cents.

I've been building mine for almost 6 years now. I've had a lot of help from 3 of my friends & this forum. Without those things, I don't know if I would be so close to finishing mine. However, I did feel the same way as you early in my build but soon realized some things:

1. If this was easy, everyone would do it.

2. Take time to look back at pictures of what you have accomplished.

3. Think of your build as a valuable learning experience.

4. Stay focused on your ultimate goal. For 25 years,I wanted a Cobra so I had something Cobra related in plain view in my house to help me focus on that goal. I believe in visual cues.

5. Don't set completion goals as I did, since many times, other more important things get in the way that caused me to miss that goal, thats when the frustration sets in.

I try to look at it this way: Building a Cobra is like eating an elephant, you got to do it one bite at a time.

Even though it has taken me almost 6 years, I hope to have many more years than that to enjoy my Cobra.

So, stay focused on the prize, enjoy your accomplishments, have fun & press on one bite at a time.

Randy

"Living the Cobra Experience"
Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     
Smile

In time you will find out that the journey was as much fun as the destination!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Like Warren said - try to do something everyday, no matter how small.
Once you start driving it you will realize you are never quite done - there
is always some little thing you can do to make it just a bit better.
When you look back on what you have accomplished you will enjoy it even
more.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Earl-- count your blessings.I'm 62 years old, a Bermudian living out here on the "Rock", and have wanted a Cobra since the first time I rode in an AC Bristol in 1964. Can't wait to wind up my business here, move to Georgia with family already resident,and build my car. I also do the obligatory house maintainance, but, alas, have no Cobra to gaze upon. BOY!!! are you lucky
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

Don't plan too much, just do it. Because everything you do will be redone in time. Hey, that sounds like a T shirt. P.S. Just be glad you dont have to deal with the California DMV. That would discourage anyone !!!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

I like making a list to check off hang it on the side of your car and another in a prominate place so you can see your progress at a glance and lets you jot down thoughts that wont get lost in the hussle bussle of daily life. Be happy you have one to work on the joy is in the doing and thinking about doing comes in a close second.Have fun thats what its all about!!!Keep up the good work.WB3
Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Hey, Steve, I first purchased my Cobra when it was a "completed" car. It ran great for about 3 months. Since then I have replaced the engine, transmission, drive shaft and U-joints and a short list of other stuff. If I wasn't so fussy I could've gotten by with less, but then I wouldn't have had all this fun! Keep on persevering, it will be worth it. But don't worry, you won't ever be "through" workin' on it! I hope mine is back on the road for New Years! Rich
Old 11-13-2007, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Earl...I understand COMPLETELY.

I have JUST finished an 18 month build and was telling someone this weekend that there were times when it seemed as though I got NOWHERE for weeks at a time. I was privileged and lucky enough to take 15 of those months off completely with no need for a full-time job, just to indulge my desire to build one of these inspirational and beautiful vehicles. Like EVERYONE who has gone through this, there are times when it was one step forward, two steps back...frustration ruled at times, and sometimes I thought I would NEVER finish.

After an AMAZING 300 miles of driving, I am still dealing with 'teething' problems, thinking of things to add or improve, and fretting about things I wished I'd done first time round, but just to reiterate some platitudes of others in this thread...

1) If it was easy, everyone would do it!
2) It REALLY IS about the journey, not the destination. Enjoy every single knuckle-skinning, swear-word ridden, sweaty, grimy, oily, frustrating minute of it, because YOU are doing something that very few people are capable of even starting...dear god man, YOU ARE BUILDING YOUR OWN COBRA!!!!
3) The sense of accomplishment, of wonder and of satisfaction that you get the first time you drive THE COBRA THAT YOU HAVE BUILT, everything that went before will be a source of pleasurable memories for the rest of your life. I am sure the ladies among us will complain here, but it's a little like giving birth...once the COBRA pops out, all the pain and frustrations are forgotten and all you can think of is DRIVING and polishing the heck out of your shiny creation.
4) Just take it one step at a time and don't worry about what you still need to do tomorrow or next week or next month...take satisfaction from the little things you do each day. Every bolt you tighten today, or every adjustment you made yesterday is something you won't have to do tomorrow, and is one more step in the journey.

Relax, breathe deeply, open a cold one and stand back admiring WHAT YOU HAVE DONE ALREADY!

You are part of a small, select group of people...

...YOU ARE A COBRA BUILDER...shout it out !!!

Good luck

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 11-14-2007 at 10:06 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

My advice and approach is this...Remember your not doing it because you have to, it's because you want to. And lastly NEVER do anything unless you have the time and patients required to do it right and carefully. I seem to create more problems and work for myself (eff ups) when I just spontaneously decide to just pop something in or off. It doesn't have to be finished by morning so you can drive to work tomorrow. Good Luck!

I knew better for myself and bought a car already drivable...I am in the process of slowly upgrading and maintaining. A big enough project for me.

John
Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Who's Steve................LOL............I'm sure there is one out there thats in about the same boat as me, Earl, so I thank all of you for your kind words of encouragement, from me and Steve....LOL
Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been "looking" at my car for more than a year now, w/o any progress being done except for buying parts as I find them. Other house projects, work, personal life has put it on hold but as soon as the garage is finished, the build starts again!
Just tell yourself what I tell myself; "The race starts once the car is complete, not before". It helps, trust me!
Larry
Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Earl...sorry for the 'Steve' address...rofl. I changed it...Steve's on his own!!!!

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"