Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Small Block Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/)
-   -   Lykins Motorsports 289 SBF Build For dacobb... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/141686-lykins-motorsports-289-sbf-build-dacobb.html)

blykins 11-13-2018 11:11 AM

Lykins Motorsports 289 SBF Build For dacobb...

Been awhile since I've done a Club Cobra build thread, but between work, life, and not being able to login, I haven't been on here much lately.

This thread will showcase dacobb's 289 SBF build for his ERA.

The build will revolve around a "modern internals, factory appearing externals" viewpoint. Some of the specs have not been fully decided on, but you have to start somewhere....

And here's where we start:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4903/...0223f862_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4864/...3a6eb633_z.jpg

It's a 1965 289 block, standard bore, and has just been baked/steel abrated. The machining process will be next.

Pics/info to follow...

patrickt 11-13-2018 01:05 PM

Without it becoming a burden, the more you can explain on why you are doing something (that might not be readily apparent to a non-engine builder) the better. I find the subtle "tricks of the trade" to be the most interesting part of a build.;)

blykins 11-13-2018 01:13 PM

Ok....I'll try.

In the photos above, I have the block positioned on the floor. That makes it much easier to take pictures of it, than to hold it and try to take selfies with it.

:p

RodKnock 11-13-2018 01:18 PM

Can you explain the "289" cast into the block? :LOL:

blykins 11-13-2018 01:20 PM

The big holes that you see are cylinders. That's where the pistons go up and down.

blykins 11-13-2018 01:22 PM

FOMOCO stands for FOrd MOtor COmpany.

RodKnock 11-13-2018 01:26 PM

When does the oil filter get installed? And where does the defibrillator go?

xb-60 11-13-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1453842)
Without it becoming a burden, the more you can explain on why you are doing something (that might not be readily apparent to a non-engine builder) the better. I find the subtle "tricks of the trade" to be the most interesting part of a build.;)

I think that is a good suggestion. Seems others don't %/

1795 11-13-2018 03:10 PM

Looking forward to seeing the build progress. Brent does excellent work. Is it a 5 but or 6 bolt block? I know that 1965 was the year that the 289's transitioned from 5 bolt to 6 bolt for the bell housing.

Jim

blykins 11-13-2018 03:38 PM

Just took me 45 minutes to get back in because I got kicked out for an "incorrect password". For crying out loud.

Jim, it's a 6 bolt block.

XB, all of us were just poking at each other. When the time comes, I'll try and talk about some details.

I just have to figure out where the oil filter goes. I've never done one of these before.

xlr8tr 11-13-2018 04:39 PM

LOL, funny comments, hopefully no offense taken by anyone.

Question for Brent: I didn't know what "steel abrated" was (I think by googling its actually steel abraded), can you explain the process and why its done?

patrickt 11-13-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1453853)
I think that is a good suggestion. Seems others don't %/

I can always post a video of Ellie and me treating the leather seats. That'll fix their wagon.:cool:

cycleguy55 11-13-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1453845)
The big holes that you see are cylinders. That's where the pistons go up and down.

Comment deleted.

xb-60 11-13-2018 06:36 PM

....got to admit, Brent's comment about taking a selfie with the block did elicit a smile :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1453864)
I can always post a video of Ellie and me treating the leather seats. That'll fix their wagon.:cool:

Patrick....that's conjuring up images I'm not entirely comfortable with :eek:

blykins 11-14-2018 02:02 AM

The machine is called a Steelabrator. So I guess when I use that in past tense I just change it to “steelabrated”.

Essentially the blocks get baked to turn paint, oil, and grease to dust, then it gets put in this machine where it’s hit with steel shot. The shot makes the block look basically brand new.

I tried to get on to answer questions last night but was told that I had reached my limit for trying to login with wrong password....

One more time like that and I’ll just move the thread to my Cleveland forum. It works.

patrickt 11-14-2018 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1453875)
One more time like that and I’ll just move the thread to my Cleveland forum. It works.

Noooooo. Remember, nothing happens in America until you sell something, and you can't sell something when you walk away from the customer.:cool:

blykins 11-14-2018 06:11 AM

You don't understand.

If I can't login here, I can't do anything at all.

I've been trying to get back on here to respond to your post for the last 45 minutes.

patrickt 11-14-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1453885)
You don't understand.

If I can't login here, I can't do anything at all.

I've been trying to get back on here to respond to your post for the last 45 minutes.

Don't log out. Leave the box "stay logged in" checked all the time. This isn't your bank or brokerage account -- there's no security risk involved.

blykins 11-14-2018 07:16 AM

Or I could just leave a link to a build thread on my own forum.... :)

patrickt 11-14-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1453890)
Or I could just leave a link to a build thread on my own forum.... :)

That's true but, just like building an engine, there's always a million things you can do that are wrong, and that's one of them. You must guard against the slippery slope of engine-builder despondency to which Keith C. succumbed.:cool: