Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By Grubby

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2021, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Roush Performance - Yay or nay?

Hello - first post on CC but been lurking on the site for a while. I have a Backdraft RT4B on order, due sometime next spring. My current engine selection is the Roush 427IR. After reading a number of posts on ClubCobra I see the Roush engines have had some serious issues/poor customer service, but for the most part the posts are from 5+ years ago. Curious if there are any more recent Roush experiences, good or bad.

I’m very set on a 427 for my new build, and FI as well. Actually live about 20 miles from Roush here in Michigan and plan on speaking with them directly next week. Couple of other local options are Holbrook and Survival Motorsports, both with significant Ford engine experience. Also like everything I’ve read about Brad Lykins, but he’s not in my neck of the woods.

Appreciate any feedback!
Old 11-28-2021, 08:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXT View Post
Appreciate any feedback!
Right now a lot of performance parts seem to be in short supply and delivery times are backed up. The first question I would ask, whether it's Roush or one of our local builders, is "when can you deliver a turnkey engine to me of _______ configuration?"
Blue66, eschaider and Hoodabest like this.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I had a 427IR in my car. It was an early version using the accel fuel injection controller. I had lots of problems. I was in the mountains typically at 6000' or higher and after much work found that roush didn't understand the dynamics of the 8 stack fuel flow and also had not finished tuning because the altitude compensation table was not filled in. I found an accel tuner and finally got it all straightened out but it cost alot of money.

My trials and tribulations are documented in the forum. Not where I can do the search but you can.

Roush later switched to a different fuel injection system.

All things considered I'd just get the carb'd version.

Others will tell you that several of the builders here can build you a similar engine for less.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-28-2021 at 11:22 AM..
Old 11-28-2021, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point, Patrickt. TwoBJShelbys - yes, I did read your prior posts, good info. I would think Roush would have the FI dialed by now, but does seem like I’d be potentially rolling the dice. I’ve just gotten to a point where I’m done fiddling with carbs, so ideally I can go the FI route with my Cobra build.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I would contact Brent Lykins if I were you. He built my FE and it does exactly what I asked for, streetable with gobs of torque. It has also been trouble free.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Well..I'm going to bit a lot biased here. A couple of friends of mine back in the day did some sheetmetal work on his P51 Mustang flaps. And these guys weren't hacks, they were GOOD sheetmetal guys. To keep it short, Roush was a complete A-hole to them and personally I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with his name on it.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Right now a lot of performance parts seem to be in short supply and delivery times are backed up. The first question I would ask, whether it's Roush or one of our local builders, is "when can you deliver a turnkey engine to me of _______ configuration?"
None of us know. Getting parts is really a crapshoot.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I had a 427IR in my car. It was an early version using the accel fuel injection controller. I had lots of problems. I was in the mountains typically at 6000' or higher and after much work found that roush didn't understand the dynamics of the 8 stack fuel flow and also had not finished tuning because the altitude compensation table was not filled in. I found an accel tuner and finally got it all straightened out but it cost alot of money.

My trials and tribulations are documented in the forum. Not where I can do the search but you can.

Roush later switched to a different fuel injection system.

All things considered I'd just get the carb'd version.

Others will tell you that several of the builders here can build you a similar engine for less.

That's not the only thing that should have been done to compensate for your lack of breathable air.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good feedback. I have multiple calls into Roush, not one returned, so that's enough for me. Just spoke with Doug at Prestige. They are doing a ton of Backdraft and SPF builds right now. Everything I've read about them has been great. He's sending me over a build spec. Also stated that the Windsor 351 block has not been available for months and is not expected anytime soon, so I'll likely go with the Shelby aluminum block.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I suspect you will get more of what you want and better customer support with a custom builder.

Also, with Roush you are paying for the name. A custom engine will cost less and be a better value.

Brent Lykins built mine.

John
twobjshelbys likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: