Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2003, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Powertrain install

I am scheduled to take delivery of a Backdraft Roadster in a few months and would like to hear from Backdraft owners who installed their own powertrain. I'm planning on a 5.0L EFI with HP TBD--manual trans. I'm interested in learning from your experience and hopefully avoiding some of the pitfalls any of you may have encountered.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2003, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427
Send a message via AIM to jpfletch1 Send a message via Yahoo to jpfletch1
Not Ranked     
Default engine mount

I am supposed to have my backdraft sometime around Aug 1. I am using a 351 W with a Tremic 3550. When is your car coming in? Keep in touch.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,
What do you guys think about a Backdraft registry?

Since they are new to the Cobra Market and not many around, now seems to be the right time to get one started.
Bud
Old 06-02-2003, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

George, the registry sounds like a good idea--how do you like your car? I see you are running a 5.0L crate, did you install yourself?

JP, my delivery is also scheduled for early August. Suppose to be painted any day now--hope I picked the right colors.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aviator,
I did not fit out the car. It was done for me by Mike Mack at Tri State Motorsports. He did a really nice job! If you need or would like any pictures e-mailed to you, let me know. I am at
grs@kennett.net

I absolutely love the Car. It handles great! Alot of fun to drive.

If there is one thing I would like to change though is the location of the gas peddle.
I AM 6-1,so when driving the car I need to have my leg bent at a very awkward angle. It appears that it could possiablly be moved forward.
I am glad you think the registry would be a good idea. Maybe if we ask Reg he would contact the other owners and tell them about it, so they could be involved also.

What is your number?
Bud
Old 06-02-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Aviator
Where abouts are you getting the car from?

True
Old 06-16-2003, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mestizo
Not Ranked     

George,
Besides the pedal any other things you don't like about the BDR? I'm very close to ordering one with a 392 stroker, 17" wheels and the M3 suspension option. Any words of wisdom?
Mestizo
Old 06-16-2003, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

mestizo,
Thats all ! The rest of the Car is flawless. Now that I have had the opportunity to see a few other Cobras, I appreciate the really nice details Reg & Tony have incorporated into their cars. The door hinges, the engine compartment lined with stainless steel panels, headers, expansion tank and roll bars,etc. It's also the little things that you never think about, but when you do they end up being a pleasent suprise.
I needed to change a fuse that I grounded out recently. Passenger side of the interior. Remove one 10mm acorn nut and the fuse panel swings down with in easy reach. Not jammed up under the dash where you need to get a flash light and assume some ungodly position to see and get to. All fuses are labeled so your know exactly where to look. Conclusion: 5 minute job.
I would buy this car again in a heart beat. If given the choice of almost any cobra replica, I would chose a Backdraft.
I plan on retiring in a couple of years and I have considered persueing a franchise to sell these cars.
I personelly would like to see the Kit Car Industry adapt to what most of other businesses consider acceptable business practices also.
Good luck,
Bud
Old 06-16-2003, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi George(Bud)
Manny Lopez was supposed to have started the registry already, check with Reg on that. I'll try to find more details too and let you know.
Check with Mike Mack about moving your gas pedal, mine was done.
For all you guys waiting for your BDR, it'll be worth your wait. I can not say enought about mine. I didn't install my own drivetrain, Reg put my 347 stroker and King Cobra T5 in for me. He did an unbelievable job on it too.
Flawless is not the word, it's PERFECT, and I have one of the early models. Mine's #5. You guys are getting some really nice improvements on yours. The only reason I would (that's a big if) consider selling my smake would be to get the new model that you guys are getting!!!
Lot's of luck and enjoy the ride....

CobraDoc
Old 06-17-2003, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #481, PE 351W
Not Ranked     
Question

I'm picking up some good info from you guys! I'm considering the Backdraft after meeting Reg and Tony at Carlisle. Other than having a little trouble trying to get Reg to reply to my numerous e-mail questions, I'm very impressed. Maybe you guys can help.

What (if anything) is the warranty on the vehicle as a whole? If the customer is a long way from one of their dealers how do they go about getting warranty repairs?

The option sheet we got in Carlisle lists a number of engine/transmission options. Do they have a separate vendor there in Florida that builds those and does the install?

I know the MSO calls it a 65 Roadster. Does the car have a VIN and VIN plate installed? (Will affect how I register it in VA)

What is the final drive ratio? I'm looking at a 302/350 since I will be using it as a "daily driver." I want good performance but don't want to be geared too low for the highway.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to flanker
Not Ranked     

Aviator & everyone else (that includes u doc) congrats on your BDR's. it is a great car. Aviator, i don't know of anyone else who has had an EFI installed. I have car #8 and have a carbed 302 with a tremec 3550 installed. the only problem i have had with the car is that i eat up trannys and clutches. the car is solid and gets the required oohh's and aahhas. what color did you get. mine is inferno red with silver stripes. in regards to warranty, i have not had to have anything done and my car is just over a year old.

reg & co. installed my motor originally but i have had the engine out of the car twice for motor work and have dropped the tranny 3 times. in and out is quite easy as there is ample room in the engine bay, the only difficulty is re-installing the headers as they can get pretty tricky to line up. the car has a vin plate installed.

unfortunately in fla, i tried but it was registered as a 2002 bdr roadster.

Mestizo that sounds like a killer engine setup. you should definately use a tremec tko to put that power to the ground. Reg's car has a 351 stroked to 408 that made sick amounts of power. spend the money on a good tranny u won't regret it.

Mike go with the BDR and reg uses a very good ongine builder. if you can pay the extra and have reg do everything that way when you get it it is ready to go.

Forever Bitten
Frank H
Old 06-17-2003, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Contrats!

Aviator: Congrats on the upcoming delivery. My name is Robert Boudreaux of Hi-Per Rods, the Texas area BDR Dealer. I assure you that there are no surprises in stabbing your engine package. Reg has been working on a manual that is problably completed by now, however, "Who Needs It." You'll bolt everything onto the engine/tranny and ease it in. Mount the clutch slave and get your push rod cut to lenth and then remove it. The engine goes in better without it and you don't want to drill holes in the bell housing and work out pushrod issues from underneath.

The engine mounts will set into the mount holes and you'll then lift up the rear of the tranny to mark the tunnel for the hole. An airsaw will give you a clean hole and will cut through the tunnel, carpet, and liner with no problem. DON'T USE A HOLESAW. Once the hole is cut, the tranny will rise into it's resting place so you can install the tranny mount. The entire install will require drilling 2 tranny mount holes and the shirter hole. You'll have it stabbed and bolted in by lunch.

The driveshaft is a little tricky but will wiggle into place in a few minutes of patient attention. Don't forget 4 bolts before you crawl under.

Mount the fuel pump and wire the fuel pump. Wires are in place and ready. Use a Carter pump. Holleys are louder, larger, and more expensive. 6 feet of fuel line, 2 nipples, and 4 clamps will finish this off.

Now you need to make 3 clamps for the cooling lines. Home Depots sell 1"X1/8" aluminum bar stock. Use the line itself to bend the stock around to make a clamp. I'll post pictures tonight.

The only other thing that will see you coming is the oil and water sensors. They are metric and require some brass fitting modification to make work. Reg is supposed to be adding modified fitting to the new car package. But if they don't show up, I have extra and can send you one of each required.

All this should take all of a weekend. If it's just you, you'll be done in about 40 hours. That means the first weekend and a 2 or 3 nights of the next week.

The key is to get everything ahead of time to prevent 20 parts runs for bolts and parts. That alone can make the job last a month vs a weekend. I can help you there too. That way, you can do all your parts and bolts chasing ahead of time.

If you haven’t purchased your stuff yet, I offer a full line of forged, blueprinted, engine packages with new blocks and warranties. Also, I notice you mentioned EFI. I offer an EFI stack system that is awsome and I also have a bolt-on inter-cooled turbo system being developed for the BDR and one for the FFR.

Feal free to email me: Robert@Hi-PerRods.com
As you can read, I love to jabber about these cars.

Boudy

Last edited by Boudy; 06-17-2003 at 08:45 AM..
Old 06-17-2003, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike
By final drive ratio I assume you are talking about rear end gear. Standard is 3.1, I'm opting up to 3.49 for a little more kick off the line.

Frank
It must be a cobra phenomenon, but I'm already opting up on displacement. We are currently at 351 and growing???
We're painting Audi Ming Blue Pearl Effect with Porsche Sand White Stripes. Hope to see the pic's from SA any day now.

BTW, I see Manny's name in this thread. He took the time out of his schedule to talk to me about BDR. Much appreciated Manny!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boudy
WOW--thanks for the info. And I though this thread was gonna die on the vine. I'll be in touch by Email for specifics and perhaps to discuss engine packages.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mestizo
Not Ranked     

George,

Thanks for the input. I drove Reg's silver 408 with the oval steering wheel and that did it for me....It was really well geared turning about 2000 at 75 and snapping your head back pretty smartly off the line. I don't recall if that was a TKO or a 3550.

What colors - the most important question - are you guys ordering?

Mestizo
Old 07-04-2003, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BackDraft - 351W and AOD
Not Ranked     
Post I just purchased a BDR from Mike at TSM

I am hoping that the car will arrive in the next couple of weeks I have been working with Mike at Tri-States, he sent pictures of the car earler this week. I am building a 351W with the Edelbrock Proformer RPM package but pretty stock attached to a TCI AOD. Everything seems to be coming together - but i am interested in others that might be putting the drive train into a BDR -