Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #541
Not Ranked     
Default Which running gear?

New to the game; very informative site... Live in S. Florida not far from BDR in Boynton and will probably have them build a car for me. Would like to hear from unbiased experience about BDR and product support/maintenance, etc.

Would also ask for insight for engine/trans choice for weekend use only, no track. Would prefer small block, efi/carb with least hassle/leak/break potential, with best value. Lots of opinions on Roush, FE, Keith Craft, Southern, etc, but I need help in narrowing the choices, please & thanks!

Tom
Old 12-27-2006, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF street roadster
Not Ranked     
Default drivetrain thoughts

Tom, I am also close to pulling the trigger on a BDR order from the guys at Boyton Beach and one of the things that has been holding me up is the finalization of the powerplant choice. I'm convinced that a 351 stroker is probably the best for the type of driving I will doing and yet still offer good resell value. So, I'm down to the Ford Racing crate 392/430 hp or a street version of the Roush 402/475 hp. Both are very streetable and either would satisfy me performance wise. The Roush costs about $3,000 more but I'm sure you'd see some of this back upon resell. It also has a better warranty(2 years) and terrific status with car guys. If you use the TKO 500 transmission with the .64 overdrive I think a 3.46:1 rear end would be ideal. The 3.10:1 might be best with the .84 overdrive. Just one guy's thoughts, good luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

I don't have a BDR but I do have a 3.46 differential, the .82 TKO 600 and the Roush 402R.

I am in Kentucky. Most always back roads and seldom Interstates.

I would pair the .82 with the taller 3.46. All the gears are usable below 70MPH whereas I would find the motor lugging at 70 with the .64. The 402 would like to be at 1800 rpm or more. I have no experience with the shorter differential, but I would suggest you calculate first and second gear speed ranges with that combination. I suppose it would chug around the parking lot better though. http://www.secondstrike.com/Technical/GearCalc.asp
I you planned to do a lot of cross country (1000+ mile) drives, I might be persuaded to recant my position.

The TKO 600 is rated as being stronger. Mine has been perfect, but there have been lengthy discussions about durability with slicks and heavier cars.

Ciao,

Chilibit