Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Standard Transmission and Gear speak with Jimi Guthrie (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/standard-transmission-gear-speak-jimi-guthrie/)
-   -   Tremec Transmissions, TKO's, T56, T5, and all others (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/standard-transmission-gear-speak-jimi-guthrie/71842-tremec-transmissions-tkos-t56-t5-all-others.html)

Jimi G 08-09-2006 07:40 AM

Tremec Transmissions, TKO's, T56, T5, and all others

Hello club cobra members, I am here to help you with technical support and advice for standard transmissions and other drive train problems. Feel free to post any problems you might have. We are a Tremec transmission distributor, so that is what we specialize in, but we work on all types, so I am knowledgeable in all standard transmissions along with there individual parts.
My name is Jimi Guthrie and I will be monitoring this site, so feel free to contact me here, or by email at jimig@standardtransmission.com either way you will get a speedy responce.

Thank you,
Jimi G.

Badger 08-09-2006 11:58 AM

Location? Badger

Jimi G 08-09-2006 12:15 PM

Badger,

We are located in Ft. Worth Texas, but we ship all over the world.

Jimi G.

Beejay 08-09-2006 03:46 PM

Jimi,

A few of us in Australia are looking for shift levers to suit a T56 Tremec six speed. I think Hurst have one that fits, not sure about others.

Do you have any, and if so at what price?

Cheers,

Ben

tamanaco 08-14-2006 08:28 PM

What is a T5 world class Tremec? It is being tied to a 345 HP ford small block, is this a good fit?

Badger 08-14-2006 11:25 PM

World Class? C'mon...a T5 is a T5. If it's blueprinted...sure it's better but it's still a T5. Yes, a T5 would be a nice trans' for a 345 BHP small block. It's lighter, smaller (shorter, so better prop shaft angle because the 'shaft is longer) and best..It's cheaper too! Badger

Jimi G 08-15-2006 07:55 AM

A t5 world class is a little stronger, the version from Tremec is rated for 300 ft. lbs. of torque, and is a little cheaper that the TKO's and T56's. But, it is just not made to be drove real hard, they just won't take the abuse. If you need anything else just let me know.

Thank you,
Jimi G.

CobraEd 08-15-2006 08:04 AM

the T5Z (aka Superduty T5) is only available thru Ford Racing as an aftermarket piece. It has stronger internals and a short throw shifter that is really sweet. It is rated at 330 lbft of torque. It has a 2.95 first gear as opposed to the regular T5s that have 3.25 first gear. This was done because Ford knew that this aftermarket unit would mostly go in performance cars with high rear end gears.

Here ya go:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10561

Jimi G 08-15-2006 08:49 AM

That particular transmission is the same as the one I wrote about. You can find all kinds of torque ratings for these particular transmissions, but my figures come directly from Tremec. It has the 2.95 1st, 1.94 2nd, 1.34 3rd, 1.00 4th, and .63 5th, along with the Z gears. Drop me an email and I can help you out jimig@standardtransmission.com

Thanks,
Jimi G.

SJK2 08-15-2006 11:17 AM

Jimi G,

Do you have any reports/feedback on TKO 600's sticking in gear.......

tamanaco 08-19-2006 08:24 PM

Jimmy G,

can the t5 WC be converted to a 0.82 5th rear ratio?

SantaFe66 08-19-2006 09:46 PM

I have a Doug Nash 5 speed transmission that came in the roller I bought. Probably is over 10 years old and has Richmond on the side. What is this, exactly? The ratios are real close and the 5th gear is just a 1 to 1 ratio. I will not be racing this car so what am I giving up for the street?

The engine is a built 390 FE with about 425hp.
The rear end ratio is a 3.54 locker.

Who the heck is Doug Nash and why does the tranny say Richmond on the side?

Thanks,
Paul

Lew Ledyard 08-21-2006 12:22 PM

Jimi:

Do you guys have a shift knob that looks like the ones that originally came with the Toploaders in Cobras, but that shows the 5 speed gear pattern of the TKO 600s?

kanuck 08-21-2006 12:56 PM

Paul Richmond gear bought out doug-nash about 20 years ago, it is an very good transmission, the gearing is 1st 3.27 2nd 2.13 third 1.57 forth 1.25 and fifth is 1.00 these are great with rear end gears from 2.75 to 3.25.
thanks Dean

Jimi G 08-22-2006 09:42 AM

T5...yes it can be converted to a .81 5th, but you have to install both 5th gears, which runs around $300 for the gears.

Kanuck is correct on the Doug Nash tranny, and also correct on the rear ratios to run with that particular unit. I would probably go with a 3.00 or higher so your rpms will be a little lower in 5th gear

As for the shift knob, we don't have anything like that, but you might check with the other kit car companies, because I believe I have seen something like what you are talking about, sorry I could not of been more helpful.

Hey guys sorry about not posting answers sooner, but it has been a mad house up here the past couple of days

Excaliber 08-22-2006 09:51 AM

I need a quote on a complete 5 speed, I'm thinking TKO. .8 OD, not TOO low on first gear. This older 'Hi Tech' brand Cobra is running a 3.5 rear gear, so I don't want 'stump pulling' gears in 1st and 2nd. By complete I mean gear shift, trans mount adapator that needs welding to round tube frame and whatever other misc pieces\parts required. Currently the car uses the typical external arm and classic throw out bearing setup and it's behind a 427 FE with a top loader. This is for a customer of mine, he wants it, I put it in, his car, his call. In Hawaii we don't see HIGH mph cruising speeds, with 60-65 being about average for a typical 'commute'.

Can you help? Feel free to e-mail me.

BossCER 08-22-2006 09:52 AM

Jimi,
What do you recommend for a lubricant in a TKO 600??
I have been told that I must use GM Synchromesh. What other products are as good or better?
Thanks for the help,
Chris

Jimi G 08-22-2006 11:46 AM

Chris,

All we recommend is sycromesh, other fluids just don't seem to work as well in these units.

Jimi G.

SantaFe66 08-22-2006 05:33 PM

Doug Nash/Richmond 5 spd

Kanuck or Jimi,

What I'm finding, now that I can finally drive this car, is that the ratios are very close and I can skip from 1st to 3rd with no problem. Would changing the rear from the 3.54:1 to something like 3.08 give me better cruise (noise, gas mileage too, as if I care, whoops.... do now), and better than crawler speed for 1st - 2nd gear? Exactly which ratio for the rear would you recommend? Since my engine is a 390 with about 425hp and torque slightly less (guessing), it isn't going to perform as good with a 3.08 as it does now, right? How much of a performance hit will I take in going to 3.08 rear ratio?

Thanks, Paul.

kanuck 08-23-2006 03:17 AM

Paul as they say it would be "much more better" with the 3.08s or even higher, 2.88 if you have a jag rear or 3.00 with ford 9in, my best choise would be a 2.75 then you could use every gear to it's full potential. I have used this combo in a car with less hp and more weight than you have currently with great results, that range is exactly what they are built for.
thanks Dean