Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Standard Transmission and Gear speak with Jimi Guthrie (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/standard-transmission-gear-speak-jimi-guthrie/)
-   -   seeking advice on shifter upgrade (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/standard-transmission-gear-speak-jimi-guthrie/79207-seeking-advice-shifter-upgrade.html)

dlang14 05-25-2007 09:15 AM

seeking advice on shifter upgrade

For a TKO600 w/.82 OD. This is in a Superformance with a Roush 427R windsor stroker.

Basically I can't hit the 2-3 shift under full acceleration to save my life on this tranny. I swapped out the traditional looking reverse lockout shifter for a Jordan shift lever and it's a little better, but I think I need to install a new shifter.

I'm looking at either the Pro 50, or the Steeda Tri-Ax unit. I had a Pro 50 on an a very early TKO in a blown mustang 5.0 and was happy with it, but I've also heard good things about the steeda unit.

Any opinions one way or the other? Jimi does Standard sell either unit? If I'm taking your advice I'd like to give you the business, only seems right :3DSMILE:

Thanks,

Daryl

scootter 05-25-2007 11:35 AM

I had the same problem. Replaced the shift tower to the Pro, and the shift lever to the Jordan. It seems alot better.
Scott

CobraEd 05-25-2007 11:46 AM

My son had the exact same problem with his T56 in his Cobra Mustang. We put a Hurst shifter in it and now the 2 > 3 shift is a breeze. Plus 30% shorter throws overall.

Got the Bug 05-25-2007 12:22 PM

Just curious. Can you access/install a shifter kit from inside the car or do you need to drop the trans?

CobraEd 05-25-2007 12:25 PM

On most cars, you do it right from the inside. 4 Bolts, . . . Piece of cake!

scootter 05-25-2007 01:18 PM

On my SPF, I had to take the new Pro 5.0 shift tower apart, loosen the rear trans mount bolts so I could move the trans to the side a bit. It was a bit of a chore.
Scott

Jimi G 05-25-2007 02:22 PM

In my opinion the Steeda Tri Ax shift top is one of the best on the market. As it was stated above it gives you a 30% shorter throw and a more positive shift feel from 2nd to 3rd. I am in the process of bring in a line of aftermarket shift tops I just have to cut through all the red tape first. jimig@standardtransmission.com

blown871 09-11-2013 04:54 PM

shifter upgrade

ok.. used the search function and came up with this older thread.

Looking at doing the same upgrade for the same reasons in my SPF.

Anyone care to chime in with likes? Dislikes? Success with any particular product?

Thanks!
B

Dimis 09-11-2013 05:51 PM

The advise given to me by a prominent engine builder and parts supplier was go with a Steeda Tri-AX if matched to a TKO600.

blown871 09-11-2013 06:16 PM

tranny badge

1 Attachment(s)
tranny id

eschaider 09-11-2013 07:18 PM

The shifting problem is internal to the TKO500/600 transmissions. Liberty offers a shift kit that requires a little effort to install but is definitely doable at home (you do need to get the trans out of the car and apart).

If you are squeamish about the inside work on the trans, Liberty will install it for a fee. They call it an internal shift linkage upgrade. While you are at it get the carbon fiber faced synchro rings, bronze shift fork pads, and threaded front cluster bearing support to compete the package. You'll be glad you did.

Ed

MJJ 09-11-2013 07:23 PM

MGW shifter. Hands down the best you can buy.

rodneym 09-11-2013 07:25 PM

Ed is right.
My next TKO will be through Liberty Gears.

blown871 09-11-2013 07:27 PM

.. so i m confused..
will updating the shifter not help the tranny?

Got the Bug 09-11-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blown871 (Post 1262211)
.. so i m confused..
will updating the shifter not help the tranny?

The Tri-Ax will help reduce mis-shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I didn't like the transmission at all when I first got the car. it seemed quirky and hard to shift. After years of driving the car, the shifts seem effortless.

SPF1061 09-12-2013 06:08 AM

I have had a TKO 500 and 2 TKO 600 .82s in my 427R SPF. My experience is that a shifter will not fix a TKO. I am using a Pro5 with a Jordan arm and I think it is as good as it's going to get...which isn't great. The 2/3 shift at 6000+ rpm is not reliable in my car. I have just bought a new, modified 600 from these folks: WELCOME TO LIBERTYS HIGH PERFORMANCE. The car is in Dennis Olthoff's shop for some major work and will have the new transmission installed when I get it back in about a month. I will post my impressions after I have put a few miles on it. I am guardedly hopeful.

RET_COP 09-12-2013 03:51 PM

I have the Tri-Ax and really like the strong 2nd 3rd lockout. The stops are well constructed.
I have the 3550 Tremec and don't miss any shifts. I will say it's harder to hit the power shift with the wheels spinning. I have heard (and read it on this and other forums), the Tremec likes the GM syncromesh fluid and it helps with the shifts.

kevins2 09-13-2013 02:58 PM

Blocker rings are the answer for missing gears. Here is an excerpt that explains and a link to the entire article:

According to Hanlon, the blocker rings are essentially the same basic design from the '60s-era Top Loader transmissions. The Hanlon Motorsport friction-lined rings were designed out of necessity. "As the horsepower and torque has increased dramatically, the transmissions need to be stronger and include heavier gears to withstand the power. The heavier gears have more inertia, so it's harder to slow down those bigger and heavier gears. The lined rings slow the gears down quicker to allow them to engage easier."

Read more: Hanlon Motorsports Tremec TKO-600 Transmission - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

I just bought a TKO 600 from Bob Hanlon (he's in Elverson, PA just NW of Philly). Nice guy to deal with and obviously knows his stuff. I have his phone number and address if anyone is interested. He said he and Liberty get the blocker rings from the same source, so they are the same - just a matter of where you want to get them.

Regards,

Kevin

Thor maine 09-13-2013 05:31 PM

Just go Hurst and call it a day.

eschaider 09-14-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPF1061 (Post 1262335)
I have had a TKO 500 and 2 TKO 600 .82s in my 427R SPF. My experience is that a shifter will not fix a TKO. I am using a Pro5 with a Jordan arm and I think it is as good as it's going to get...which isn't great. The 2/3 shift at 6000+ rpm is not reliable in my car. I have just bought a new, modified 600 from these folks: WELCOME TO LIBERTYS HIGH PERFORMANCE. The car is in Dennis Olthoff's shop for some major work and will have the new transmission installed when I get it back in about a month. I will post my impressions after I have put a few miles on it. I am guardedly hopeful.

My prediction is that you are going to be very happy with the Liberty version of your TKO 600. If you did the upgrade and removed the old pieces, compared them to the Liberty replacements and how they worked / were timed, you would have no doubt in your mind about where the problem lies.

This is a Tremec issue yet again and right on par with their third gear mainshaft / countershaft misalignment that precipitates the premature third gear failures. Good shifters can mask the 2 - 3 shifting problem somewhat but they can not correct the bad internal design of the shifter rails. Liberty's upgrade does!

Ed