26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     
Question What do you do with your car overnight?

When you go to event how do you make sure your car still be in parking lot of hotel, motel when you wake up the next day
Old 07-15-2009, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I don't worry if I'm in motorhome pulling trailer, I just put car in trailer for the night with alarm on, and would know if someone was trying to unhook trailer.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Master lock and 2 20' cables

razerwire Lowe's or Homedepot sell 20' thief cables and good locks, I don't care how silly it looks, 1 cable goes through all 4 wheels and locks, the other goes through the frame, loops back through and around a tree, light stand, truck, or any thing where the cable can't be removed without alot of noise. If you get a hotel room, ask for one where you park the car. I know a guy that used to put a long piece of heavy string and rap it too the light on the table. Car got moved light fell off. Simple and it worked. Unhook the coil wire an or battery also. so they can't drive it away. My other thing is buy a LoJac for the car. Rick L.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bring your leather gloves and surround the car with razor wire!

I like Rick's idea, but I still don't think I would sleep all night! haha

I think i would couple Ricks idea with the removal of a choice fuse or 2. That way they can't move the car under it's own power and they can't push it lose either.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

I know thieves are not smart but.....If someone is going to steal one of these loud cars do you think they would start it up where it is parked. With an open cockpit, I would just roll it away and put it on a flatbed or start it when it is out of the general area. Therefore I don't know if removing fuses, having secret ignition switches, etc. would make me sleep better at night.

How about the Old School brake to steering wheel lock?

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Physical Security is Best

Physical security is best. Most of us could start your Cobra in under a minute. If you have a kill switch hidden somewhere, two minutes. Run the cables through your wheels and frame and then around another car or a telephone pole. If you forget to unlock them the next morning, please take some photos.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I'd use the bottle jack and collapsable jack stands that I have in my trunk, prop up the front end and remove one of the wheels. It's not like a crook is going to be able to find another knock-off style rim in the middle of the night to roll the car away.

Pound that sucker on in the morning with a two minute safety wire job and you're good to go!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default ... or be able to find another steering wheel

Another benefit of the Quick Release steering hub:

Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Turn the ignition off. Walk away and have a good time.

You can't stop a tow truck.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

There are smart and determined thieves. Some illustrations: A Penske/Donohue Ferrar or Lola was stolen, hauler and all, from a motel parking lot in Florida back in the late '60's. And we had a bunch of dyno tested spare 427s crated and ready to be shipped to LeMans for the 1966 race from the KarKraft shop. The thieves stole the engines, using the shop fork to load the engines in the KarKraft truck from the locked back lot which they used to transport the engines. Then there was the Fred Lorenzen Grand National ''63 Galaxie stolen from the Ford experimental garage with a rig painted--using water colors they washed off later--in Holmam-Moody graphics on a Sunday. They loaded the car and drove in and out past secrity. To my knowledeg, none of these thieves, engines or cars were found.

With these stories in mind, don't think a cable, chain, hauler or removable steering wheel will ensure your car will be there in the morning. Putting the car in bed with you or sleeping in it would probably work, though.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Park next too better cars.....

Kidding, if you have Halibrands you can use the U-shaped bicycle lock unit. Fit the U-shaped portion through the front wheel and use the locking mechanism on the inside of the wheel. The car can't roll as the driveline will catch and stopp the roll. Basically it makes it more attractive to find an easier candidate.

Also, place a battery shut off in hidden place. Renders the car unable to start.

Be insured eitehr way!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
I'd use the bottle jack and collapsable jack stands that I have in my trunk, prop up the front end and remove one of the wheels. It's not like a crook is going to be able to find another knock-off style rim in the middle of the night to roll the car away.

Pound that sucker on in the morning with a two minute safety wire job and you're good to go!
Very clever! I see those portable road signs that are like little trailers set up with a missing wheel to prevent theft.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BackDraft, Keith Craft 408; 1967 GT500CR
Not Ranked     

Hello, another trick we do is buy a disposable phone, turn it on and hide it in the car--this works like a low tech tracking devise--as long as the battery holds up.j
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

We usually cover the car and try not to spend the night looking out the window.

If someone is going to take it...they are going to take it.

Make sure to pay your insurance.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I keep a Cobra in the cockpit. It usually scares everyone ... including me.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Same as above.

Me, I cover it and forget it. If it's there in the AM I'm happy. If it's not there in the AM I'm sad but happy. I can build another one with the Insurance money.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lets see, I have a fuel cut off, full car electrical cut off, 2 Lo jack anti theft devices. 1. if the car is moved more than 10 feet without the remote next to it, it calls Lojack and notifies them, then they call, page me all within about 5 to 10 minutes. #2 system, GPS if they get past the first 3 systems.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos View Post
Lets see, I have a fuel cut off, full car electrical cut off, 2 Lo jack anti theft devices. 1. if the car is moved more than 10 feet without the remote next to it, it calls Lojack and notifies them, then they call, page me all within about 5 to 10 minutes. #2 system, GPS if they get past the first 3 systems.
Dang... I've also been known to keep this stuff in the trunk. If somebody drives off, I'm counting on it leaving a trail for me to find them.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Want A SPF
Not Ranked     

Laws Rocket will stop that tow truck
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Mikiec has the right idea. park it , lock it, kill it, cover it and most of all have good insurance.
If it's gone in the morning, smile and call a cab...and then start thinking about your next build.
Be Happy!
Bill