Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     
Default Some more questions about SPF Cobras

Still (and will be for quite a while, unfortunatley) thinking about buying a used SPF Mk3. Some additional questions:

1) At which chassis number did SP start shipping the latest soft top design?

2) At which chassis number did the standard 3.45 rear ratio start?

3) I've noticed that nearly all the used Mk3s for sale have carbs. VERY FEW have fuel injection (only the new Mk3R as near as I can tell). Is this because most guys just want something more "authentic"? Or, is there a technical challenge to putting an injected engine in? I seems to me that an injection system (serial port injection with throttle bottle control) would still look "kinda" like a carb setup but give all the advantages of FE. ?????

4) Wheel sizes: While the 17" and 18" wheels undoubtedly give better handling performance (is that true???) is there an increase in harshness using 40 or 50 profile tires on the street? I plan to only do street driving.

5) How often to people actually get burned on the side-pipes? I'm sure just once will remind anyone to be careful - but I'm thinking of passengers (especially my wife! who I hope will ride in it occasionally). I assume the optional "protectors" work well?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions but any help with these are appreciated.

Respectfully,

Matt
Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Matt,

You might want to fire up the "advanced search" function and do a little digging.

Downside is you don't like your search results, you've got to wait about a minute to search again.

- Not sure about the top. Still sitting in my garage in the original bag that it came in.

- Link regarding the rear-end. According to the thread, the change occurred at around chassis number 2068.

Superformance rear end

- Injection vs. carb. Probably a combination of cost and authenticity. Some people want the look of Webers without the hassle of jetting and tweaking. Different performance characteristics, etc. Carb is pretty basic and easy to swap, tune, and fix.

- Wheel size. 15's - I like the original look. Other sizes really open up your tire options.

- Regarding getting burned by a side pipe. I have never been burned nor have any of my passengers been burned getting out of my car. That being said, I've burned my ankle twice opening the hood after driving. Both times I had shorts on...nice scar. If this is a concern (i.e. my wife, kid, dog might get burned) you can always find/buy a car with under-car exhaust. Count on someone getting burned. It's going to happen.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I've had mine for 10 years, nobody's ever been burned by a side pipe. Keep the kids away. The pipes are hot but but not crazy hot, the SPF pipes (at least that I have) are insulated a bit.

Bob
Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2899 Dart 440 stroker 771 hp w/nitrous
Not Ranked     

Matt - Happy to talk shop! I'm on my third cobra and will give you the straight scoop. mtylinski@yahoo.com
Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The pipes are crazy hot and I have been burned a couple times, once you feel it is too late. This IS NOT UNIQUE TO SPF"S
Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

Heat shields for the side pipes are available thru several sources and do a great job of protecting folks from snake bites . Bill
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Havnt burned myself yet. If you know how to get in an know how to get out its no prob
Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

If you get in and out of the car the right way, your legs will never get close enough to get burned.

Looking under the hood is another story....

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII
Not Ranked     

Matt - email me your phone number and I can answer all of your questions for you - shane@tracksideautosports.com
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

WE as owners know how to get/ in and out - but passengers sometimes don't , or more importantly :

the liability of someone unknowingly brushing against them when they are still hot as they get closer to lean in to get a better look at your car as you just parked it - or small kids - or a pet dog ....... I added the heat shields for the aforementioned liability concerns . I breath easier . But to each their own . I was never been burned before the shields, and not since . Bill
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorac View Post
If you get in and out of the car the right way, your legs will never get close enough to get burned.

Looking under the hood is another story....
Hi, Jim,

I hate to ask this - but what is the "right " way? Also, any advise on getting in/out with the sot top on?

thx

Matt
Old 12-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Matt, seriously, I have some pretty bad burn scars on the back of my left ankle. Yes, I know the "stand up and step out" way to get in and out, and I even carry welding blankets cut for just the right size, and I keep it tucked behind the seat. They're only really needed when you're wearing shorts in the summer time. I'm really careful when I have passengers, I put the blankets over the pipes before they get in. But I'm not so carefuly with me; I have trouble remembering to use the blankets after a really good ride and I tend to get out of the car the same way I do any other car. I have really sizzled my skin -- borderline third degree burns. It's not a big deal when it's you, though. I've saved kids, and grown-ups, from burns by keeping them away from my pipes when I've pulled in to car shows. One time I literally "intercepted" a little girl headed straight for my primaries with her dad standing behind her completely oblivious. I now put blankets over my pipes the moment I park at a show and don't pull them off until I can touch them. Honestly, though, the back of my left ankle looks like something bad happened to me... more than once.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatt View Post
Hi, Jim,

I hate to ask this - but what is the "right " way? Also, any advise on getting in/out with the sot top on?

thx

Matt
Get in, then have someone else put the soft top on while you sit in the driver's seat.

Down side is that you have to live in there until Spring when someone can take the top off and let you out.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have also had some bad burns on the legs. I really dont care about my gq body LOL, but if one of my girls did it I would have serious heartburn. Solution when someone else is getting in or out, stand next to them, point out where to grab and not grab, explain the pipe will burn them, and by the time they feel it, the burn will be very bad. The welding blanket idea is great escpecially for guest. If you open the door, and stand up and then slide down the seat you will have no problems, now if you have the top on, get the welding blanket.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you do burn yourself on your pipes, ask your physician (or the doctor in the family) to prescribe silver sulfadiazine cream. It's used to treat second and third degree burns, and it's about the best stuff out there for Cobra bites. Prescription only.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatt View Post
Hi, Jim,

I hate to ask this - but what is the "right " way?

Matt
No one really answered the primary question, so try to visualize this sequence:

1. Open the driver's door.
2. Take your right hand and reach in over the top of the driver's seat, firmly grabbing it a little off-center (toward the center of the car). This is your balance point.
3. NEVER GRAB THE WINDSHIELD!
4. Now with your right arm/hand firmly anchoring you to the seat, you step over the sidepipe with your right leg and have it rest on the floor.
5. As you simultaneously apply more weight to your right leg (right arm is still firmly attached to that seat!), take your left arm and reach around behind your back and you will find the top of the seat with it. It sounds awkward, but your left hand will find the top of the seat.
6. Now with both hands taking on most of your weight, swing that other leg over the sidepipe and into the car, placing it next to your right leg.
7. Allow yourself to sink into the seat (sort of like a reverse push-up).
8. Buckle up, close the door, fire her up and have fun.

The procedure for getting out is the opposite (i.e. open door, start by working your hands up the side of the seat until they are both anchored at or near the top, then push yourself up, THEN swing that left leg out over the pipe, and so forth).

Again, both the windshield and either door are not designed to be weight-bearing members. I've heard war stories of people taking others for a ride and the passengers grab the corner of the windshield to pull themselves in...CRACK! Some will grab/lean on the steering column or wheel, but it's not a good idea either.

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 12-12-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks much, Dean

This really helps me visualize one more thing about living with a cobra. And, it will help me prevent a "surprising disappointment".

thx, again

Matt
Old 12-12-2009, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If you do burn yourself on your pipes, ask your physician (or the doctor in the family) to prescribe silver sulfadiazine cream. It's used to treat second and third degree burns, and it's about the best stuff out there for Cobra bites. Prescription only.

Thanks Patrick,

Your experience really helps us newcomers. Bottom line - be very careful. I may end up with shields (don't like the looks - BUT). Great idea about the welding cover! Ditto the info about the sulfadiazine.

much appreciated.

Matt
Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

Step in to the Cobra standing up. Sit down. When exiting, stand up in the car. Step out. Never put your legs outside the car while sitting in a Cobra.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Getting in/out of the Cobra. Well, you figure it out pretty quickly. If you don't, well.....

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it