Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Ride Height and Alignment Specs - New SPF

I’m taking possession of my new SPF next week after the dealer finishes his pre-delivery prep. I’ve already asked the dealer to swap out the current tires (BFG 255/60-15 front & 275/60-15 rear) for BFG 235/60-15 front & 295/50-15 rear.

Should I ask for any particular ride height and alignment specs (street driving - no track)?

Bob
Old 08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I would opt for something other than BFGs. They are neither grippy nor round.

Bob
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob's right. Ditch the BFG's for something like the Mickey Thompson tires or if you have the budget, Billboards, Avons etc. I currently have Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's. 245 on front, 275 on back. Just got back from a 3000 mile road trip on some very generous speed limit roads thru Montana. Great tire. Feels stable at 120 mph cruise.

SPF specs for alignmernt are front Toe in – 1/8” total. Camber ¼ degree negative. Caster 4-6 degrees positive.

Rear Toe in – 1/8” total. Camber – ¼ degree negative. For competition, camber front and rear by ½-3/4 degrees
Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Go with the Goodyear Billboards as they look very nice on a SPF and grab pretty well when heated up. I agree on the negative camber in the front. I've had 4 SPFs in the past and set all of them up that way........have fun and enjoy!!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Do keep in mind that the billboards are NOT DOT legal where the Avons are. The Avons are moe expensive, but do some searching here on them and you will see very good reviews.

The Goodyear GTIIs and the Goodrich T/As are cruising tires, not well suited for hard driving.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are my thoughts on the BFGs, as backwards as it sounds.

It is safer for me to learn/experiment with the Cobra’s characteristics by playing with slipperier tires than gripper tires.

This is my first cobra/high horsepower car. I expect a lot of wheel spin. I want it early, audible, predictable, and often. Once I experience the “wheel spin on demand” phenomenon, I’ll get over it and w/in a year or so, replace them with better tires (MT street radials). By then, I’ll have a basic understanding of the car and can adjust to things happening at higher speeds/grip levels.

Crazy?

Bob
Old 08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ex-owner ERA FIA 2062
Not Ranked     

Yes, that's crazy, unless you do it in a large parking lot at 2 AM with no lightpoles.

Gary
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It is safer for me to learn/experiment with the Cobra’s characteristics by playing with slipperier tires than gripper tires.

Crazy?
No, Bob, that's not so crazy. Of course, professional instruction is best, but in the meantime you should take your car out to a stadium parking lot, or similar place where there is nothing to hit, drive around in a circle until about as fast as you can, then lift off the gas and touch the brake and learn what happens. Then try coming out of imaginary turns and get on the gas a little too hard. Finally, practice "stop light" burn outs, but have your wheels accidentally turned a little bit and see how tricky it can be to keep the car straight. Of course, if the pavement is wet it makes it even more fun. 90" wheelbase cars, even when set up just right, are still very twitchy.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Crazy?

Maybe… During my early years of owning a Miata, I found great satisfaction in delicately balancing the over steer/under steer as I pitched the car, in a 4-wheel drift, through the canyons on my way to work. As the years went by, and the modifications to the car grew expediently, the joy of “being one with the road“ got harder and harder. Now, the ridiculously modified Miata is so glued to the road, that I feel I’ve lost something.

I have several sets of tires on rims. A lot of times, I have more fun on the less grippy ones.

However, having never experienced 515 hp in a Cobra, I may be setting myself up.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Crazy?

Maybe… During my early years of owning a Miata... However, having never experienced 515 hp in a Cobra, I may be setting myself up.
You are. The Miata is about 400 lbs. lighter, but your Cobra has about 400 more horsepower. You can not throttle your Cobra like your Miata -- it'll come right out from under you.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here are my thoughts on the BFGs, as backwards as it sounds.

This is my first cobra/high horsepower car. I expect a lot of wheel spin. I want it early, audible, predictable, and often. Once I experience the “wheel spin on demand” phenomenon, I’ll get over it and w/in a year or so, replace them with better tires (MT street radials). By then, I’ll have a basic understanding of the car and can adjust to things happening at higher speeds/grip levels.

Crazy?

Bob
I cannot comment from first hand experience about the BFG's, but the Goodyear GTII's that I had, are in my opinion dangerous. They did not give any warning as you approached the limit. So you could be fine on minute, and gone the next.

The Goodyear BB's are great in that respect. Yes, the limits are higher, but they also give considerable warning that you are approaching the limits, and when exceeded, the slip, not break away. The Avons are much the same as the BB's, but they do not give as much warning.

Maybe someone can comment on the BFG's.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appreciate the feedback. All sounds like valid counsel.

John – you wore the back Avons to 40% in 2500 street miles? Wow.

What about Cooper Cobra tires? Significantly better than BFGs? If not, I’m just going to take the car with the tires that are currently on it (BFGs). I assume I’ll burn them off within the first year. Then go with a top notch tire.

Bob
(anxiously awaiting delivery!)
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. All sounds like valid counsel.

John – you wore the back Avons to 40% in 2500 street miles? Wow.

What about Cooper Cobra tires? Significantly better than BFGs? If not, I’m just going to take the car with the tires that are currently on it (BFGs). I assume I’ll burn them off within the first year. Then go with a top notch tire.

Bob
(anxiously awaiting delivery!)

I had some great fun on Hwy 1 North of San Francisco, and Hwy 199 between Crescent City and Grants Pass. I would not consider that normal street miles.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

I’m envious.

Took my first test drive in a Cobra when I lived in Monterey in the mid 90’s. Also lived in the Bay area in a town called San Ramon in the late 90’s. The canyons and mountains were full of incredible roads. I miss the area.

Bob
Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default My thoughts on tires...

I may be speaking out-of-turn here, and I apologize if I disagree with some of you here. But...as much as I like the looks of the Goodyear "Billboards", I must say they can cause a TON of damage to your car.

I had a set of billboards a couple of years ago and while I liked their looks...they picked up so many rocks and pebbles in normal driving they damn-near ruined my car. They sand blasted the area imeediately behind each fenderwell, and caused my side pipes untold damage. Looks like the area closest to the front wheels was pelted with steel-shot ...they actually sandblasted the ceramic coating from the areas around the bends in the pipes as they came out of the engine bay. Plus, when they're cold...since they're a bias-ply tire... they hunt for and follow every groove and channel in the roadway and they develop enormous flat spots in them. Enough so that I've had the steering wheel almost ripped out of my hand in just normal less-than-45 MPH driving.

Now, to be honest and fair...once they got warmed up and the flat spots leveled out, I like they way they gripped. But, I sure hated the damage they caused to the paint and ceramic coatings.

What finally blew it for me was that I couldn't keep the GOODYEAR and EAGLE paint stencils on the sidewalls looking good. I followed the instructions a Texas Cobra Club member posted a couple of years ago to use a spray vinyl paint to spray the letters on the sidewalls. This paint is similar in texture and properties to the vinyl dip that plier handles are dipped in. I figured, shoot, this would stay on and remain flexible. WRONG! In less than 10 miles after painstakingly masking and spraying the stenciled letters on the tires, they were lifting and starting to come off. And I did this TWICE, before I said the hell with it.

All in all...I love the look of the GY Billboards....but I hate they way they handle cold, and hate the way they destroy paint and ceramic coating.

My best suggestion...put 17" wheels on and enjoy the availablity of a much wider range of performance tires. I run 15's for my street tires and Goodyear GT II's front and rear. I don't like their performance on the street - true enough - but at least I don't sandblast my car with them. I run 15" rims with Hoosiers for track use, and just bought a set of 17" track wheels shod with BFG R1's. I figure I can get at least 2-3 more track sessions out of the R1's before I have to replace them.

Anyone wanna buy some 15" Trigos w/Hoosier track tires on them? They're good for at least 2-3 more track weekends, maybe more. Drop me a line...

...again...all this is just my opinion...your mileage may vary, and you're free to disagree with my eleven years of Cobra experience...I'll still buy a round...!
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 08-10-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2914 Sunset / Titanium
Not Ranked     

Bob,

I have to agree with Flyin Freddie. Get some 17s (which is what I ended up doing) as you have multiple choices on tires that are readily available. If you must have the old school look, eventially pick up a set of take of 15s (or keep yours) and put on some Avons or Billboards. BTW, between the two, I feel the Avons are a much better street tire that the BBs.

Andrei