Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF; Roush 427 SR/TW
Not Ranked     
Default Won't Start - Help

My SPF 2499 is stranded and I cannot get any power to anything yet the battery is charged. I have jumpered the battery compartment switch, so the only remaining switch that I am aware of is in the tranny assuring it is out of gear before the starter will engage. Has anyone had a problem with that and knows what to do about it? I don't understand why that switch would preclude power to the accessories, as I thought it was merely for the starter.

So it may be a main fuse of some sort. My manual says there is one, but I sure don't see it where the picture states it should be in the fuse box.

This was a 2007 build at Snakepower before they went under. Also, if anyone knows a place in Chicago area (western suburbs preferred) that they would recommend, I may need to take it somewhere if I cannot get it sorted out.

Thank goodness for some clear weather for a few days until I can fix or retrieve it!!

I would appreciate anyone's help on this.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Check the negative battery to ground cable for a good connection. Try pulling on both ends of the negative battery cable at the battery box. I once found a bad connection at the negative battery cable to frame on 887. Lost all power, but fortunately was only one block from home!

I pulled the negative cable, and made a new end for the battery to frame connection.

Give it a try, and let us know how you make out with it.
Jim Kellogg
Elmira, NY
Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

If the battery is charged and none of the switches work, the battery ground would be my first suspect.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Along with checking the neg ground cable, make sure the engine to frame cable is on and tight. Mine on #1735 runs from the bellhousing passenger side to the frame.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Check SCOF

Post your question on SCOF website or check their technical library. Thx, db #2723
Old 08-28-2010, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, 462 hp, 4 barrel
Not Ranked     

Does SPF have a battery cut off switch??? Could it be in-between the contacts accidentally knocked??

Lee
Old 08-28-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 428 FE
Not Ranked     

As Jim suggested, the lug on the battery ground cable that attaches to the frame can look OK but if it is cracked will give you the exact symptoms you describe. Peel back the carpet a little to the rear of the battery box and you can see the lug. My car did the same thing last summer though the lug appeared to be intact, a pull revealed that it had cracked clean through. That is why a jumper cable on the battery does not start the car. I put a new lug on and problem solved. Rick
Old 08-29-2010, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CHecking the grounds today.

Thanks everyone for a lot of good advice. I will give the grounds a thorough going over today and will advise what I find. Sounds like that must be the issue. I found the engine to frame ground yesterday, but not the battery to ground. So that is the most likely culprit for today!!

Paul
Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Paul

It would of helped to know how to contact you or where the car was/is so someone could come help you

Jerry
Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 S/C with 427ci stroked side oiler this car is being built by Dynamic Motor Sports and Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

nine 64
I am sure the suggestions you already received should lead you to solving your starting issue. But, the next area I might look at would be the infamous "Prince of Darkness" ignition switch. These original style cobra switches have been known to fail. If not now, it will, and should be replaced with a heavy-duty ignition switch offered by "Cobra Valley" and it may be a good idea to consider joining the SCOF group. The information available to you as a Superformance owner can only help you in times like this. Hope you already got the help you needed.
Joe/and the "Mistress" SPS1425
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine64 View Post
I found the engine to frame ground yesterday, but not the battery to ground.
Paul
Paul,

Your battery is grounded to a post welded on top of the frame about 4" behind the battery box. Pull the carpet loose ( it is attached with upholstery adhesive) and you will see it. Mine is attached with a metric socket head bolt; you will need a 6mm allen wrench. The factory uses a star washer between the cable lug and the chassis to cut through the chassis paint. This doesn't give you the best contact. Scrap the paint from the top of the welded post (where the cable attaches) so you will have good contact.

The 80A main power fuse is located in the bottom of the dropdown fuse panel above the driver's left leg. It looks like this:
http://www.cooperbussmann.com/images...79a3da63ec.JPG

I doubt you have blown the main 80A fuse. With the battery disconnect switch on, use a dc voltmeter to check voltage between ground and the large right post on the starter solenoid on the firewall (the large red cable from the battery should be connected here). If you have power here, check voltage between ground and the right main fuse terminal (this will be power going to the fuse). Then check between ground and the left main fuse terminal. If you have power here, you should have power to the headlights and horn without the ignition switch turned on.

Rodger

Last edited by RodgerH; 08-29-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

We got it covered.
It appears to be the main feed wire from the starter solenoids "HOT" side to the live post om the fuse panel. That wire is the main feed to the cars entire electrical system...thus no power in the car...
Paul is in the process of running a new feed wire...to get it home.
Great collective effort...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 08-29-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Good Job !

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Thanks Everyone

It was a hot one yesterday, but after a much better game plan with everyone's help, a couple new jackstands and creeper, I managed to get the whole car off the ground and inspect all of the wiring from battery to starter. I could see just a portion of the starter to main fuse terminal run that Blas refers to and that looked OK, but clearly it was not delivering any power whatsoever. So I ran a new wire from the starter connection to the main fuse box terminal and voila, a fully functional automobile again. Now to sort out the real reason for the problem and get the ammeter working again, something fun to do in the garage over the coming weeks when it cools off a bit.

I really appreciate everyone's help, and that the rain held off until today!! A special thanks to Blas who put up with my phone calls Sunday!!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Happy to help...
"Get the AMP meter working again" - Tell me more....I don't believe you mentioned that yesterday....You said the 2 connections on the AMP meter looked ok?

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net