Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattpatt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     
Smile SP3033 Engine Started - Thanks Everyone

Well, the day finally arrived yesterday. On the advise of many of you I not only purchased an SPF cobra but I also installed the engine myself. It took about 3 months (took my time, on most weekends), The engine is a Keith Craft SBF 427/Dart aluminum block. The rest of the drive-train is a TKO600 (0.83 5th), steel flywheel, Mcleod RST clutch, Quick-Time SFI bell. Wheels are 18" with Michelyn PS2 rubber (255s and 275s). Color is Indogo Blue with Platinum stripes. Includes a passenger roll-bar. Everyone I dealt with for parts and advise were just great. Many thanks to: Lance, Deborah, Ashton, Barry and Mike at Hillbank; Keith, Shelly and Tony Loy at Keith Craft Performance Engines; Dennis and Sheryl at Olthoff Racing; Club Cobra's BLAS; Brent at B2Motorsports; Erick at Voss Performance plus others. This experience was 100% positive and I'd recommend it to anyone with basic experience with cars.

The engine was started for the first time yesterday: sounds great! I still have some bugs to work out before getting the car on the road: brake bleeding, clutch slave issue and an electrical issue (BLAS - please see private e-mail).

Many thanks again to you guys.

Matt
Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Congratulations on getting that engine fired up! Keith builds a great engine and you will really enjoy the power. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx, Jim

Noticing your horsepowere numbers (FW & RW) the ratio is right in line with the Randall Thomas conversion chart on SCOF. Are you using the std steel SPF exhaust or did you go with something with less back-pressure? I'm trying to estimate what my 554 FWHP will translate to at the wheels.

thx

Matt
Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2234 Diamond Edition, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Hi Matt!

Take a look in my gallery - there are RW-dynosheets in it..the Flywheel-HP is more or less the same like yours.

Greetings from Austria
Peter
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Matt,

My side-pipes are not stock SPF. I did a dyno pull with the stock SPF side-pipes and it was about 50HP/TQ less than what I show in my signature line. The side-pipes I'm running I built using a merge collector from Hedman Headers and a muffler from Howe Racing. Less back flow as evidenced by the dyno results, also a different sound, i.e., louder and deeper.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha_pe_1968 View Post
Hi Matt!

Take a look in my gallery - there are RW-dynosheets in it..the Flywheel-HP is more or less the same like yours.

Greetings from Austria
Peter
Thx, Peter. Do you have the stock Superformance mufflers?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

It seems to me that you went kind of skinny on the tires. Most run 315's on the rear with that kind of power.

You will have to be very careful with the gas pedal unless you want to do a lot of sliding around.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
It seems to me that you went kind of skinny on the tires. Most run 315's on the rear with that kind of power.

You will have to be very careful with the gas pedal unless you want to do a lot of sliding around.
I wanted to use the Bridgestone Potenza RE11s but the sizes wouldn't work. Next best, as near as I could tell, was the PS2s. Looking at the Michelyn specs the SP wheel widths worked with the smaller tires (not the 305's or larger) - also - I didn't want to stray too far from factory recommendations because, while real wide rear tires look really great, they probably reduce handling performance (and we could debate about 0-60 performance). If I could have gotten 295's in my tire choice I would have gone for them (a factory option).
Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

So what's up with the AMP meter?
Still having a problem?
If you have checked the things I mentioned and still have the problem, you probably have a bad alternator or voltage regulator

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 05-06-2011 at 07:28 AM..
Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

About the ammeter:

Tried all your recommendations, Blas. Everything was tight. When I charged the battery the ammeter showed ~10A running (was ~25 before) so that really helped. I put another ammeter on series with the ammeter and turned the lights on: both showed the same so I think the ammeter is ok. Maybe the Optima battery just takes high current when it's not fully charged and if I run the engine more than about 30 seconds it will come back to "normal"? I'll be trying that in the next couple of days.

Does the voltage regulator also regulatrt current (I thought it was just voltage)????

Thx, Blas
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good, you did all the cheap stuff first...nothings worse then spending money and having the same problem...now we replace parts.
Refresh my memory...what alternator do you have?- A standard unit or a one wire?
It's looking more like a voltage regulator or alternator...
You probably know this but, if you have a one wire alternator, the voltage regulator is built in, the SPF unit should be disconnected...
Could be a funky battery too, Optima's have had some issues of late. You charged it overnight with it disconnected right?
Luckily, all these parts should be under warrantee for you, just some time to troubleshoot...
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.

Last edited by Blas; 05-12-2011 at 06:53 AM..
Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

Good stuff Matt.

How do you like the Mcleod RST clutch set up.
Am thinking thats the clutch for me as well.
Was told has soft pedal feel.
Is the clutch engagement hard or smooth and does it have any weird rattling noises.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Got Pics?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx, Blas

The alternator is an MSD one wire (105 amps). Initially, I had the SPF regulator plugged in then realized it should not have been plugged in (warning light was on) so now it's unplugged. Might that have damaged something? I always charge the battery disconnected.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Carmine,

I can't tell you about the clutch because I can't get it in gear. I'm not sure but I think it's because I failed to shim the front disk correctly. The instructions simply said it should spin freely (nothing about shimming). It was dragging a bit but I could easily turn it by hand. Turns out there are more instructions on the Mcleod website that say shim to .020/,025 or tranny won't go into gear (would have been nice if that had been in the instructions that came with the clutch!). Next week the car goes to Voss Performance to get it fixed (I'm out of time for the California DMV registration).

<{:>((
Detroit Bill likes this.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could possibly have damaged something with the initial hook-up...Or maybe it's the fact that you are running an alternator with over TWICE the output of the AMP meters rated capacity of 50 AMPS. Only thing to do is to replace the alternator and see if the AMP meter settles down. Bench testing it might show something, but testing sometimes doesn't report these odd readings...FYI: Lots of SPF's have odd reading AMP meters, ususlly due to defective or overheated diodes in the alternator/voltage regulator, or loose connections causing voltage spikes, etc. Maybe a Volt meter would be a better choice.

Last edited by Blas; 05-13-2011 at 07:12 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

About the electical problem - see thread about Optima battery charging current.

About clutch: Took the car to Erick Voss at Voss Performance. The clutch was installed correctly (apparently) - Erick replaced the slave and all works fine now. He also adjusted the drive-train alignment, tightened critical bolts, etc., etc.. I still need him to do the wheel alignments. I want to say that Erick REALLY knows these cars, has reasonable prices, and is a pleasure to work with. He said he needed about 2 weeks to "fit my car in" - and it was done in 2 weeks. He was never too busy to answer any of my many questions. I recommend him to any and all cobra owners. Besides Superformence cars he does other cobra kit cars (Factory Five, etc.) as well as new mustangs, etc. He's a great resource for those willing to take their cars to him.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

Good to hear you installed clutch correctly and it's working fine
So how is the RST clutch for pedal feel and clutch engagement?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The RST is pretty nice as far as I've used it (only 45 easy miles on the car so far - need a few hundred for drive-train break-in). There's no chatter at all, smooth engagement and the pedal force is surprisingly low (that's a benefit of the duals). So far - very nice.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2234 Diamond Edition, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatt View Post
Thx, Peter. Do you have the stock Superformance mufflers?
Hi Matt!

Sorry for the late answer...yeah the dynosheets are with the stock mufflers and headers.

Peter