Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Superformance and GM unveil their 1963 Corvette Grand Sport (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/107490-superformance-gm-unveil-their-1963-corvette-grand-sport.html)

Randall Thomas 11-02-2010 11:28 AM

Superformance and GM unveil their 1963 Corvette Grand Sport

As of 11:00am Las Vegas time, the first ever look at the new Hi-Tech made Superformance 1963 Corvette Grand Sport, and behind the scenes story of how it came to be, was revealed.

For the full Story and LIVE photos direct from SEMA as it happens today, click the link below. Photos will be added as they come in live!

http://superformance.org/supernews/grandsportdebut.html

Randall

GP1482 11-02-2010 12:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just a few photos...more to come!

Hope you all enjoy!

SunDude 11-02-2010 01:17 PM

Hot car! Looks great, especially painted in traditional Cobra colours (heh-heh-heh).

Guess I shouldn't be so mischievous. We might never have had the 427 Cobra after all, if it weren't for the Grand Sport Corvette...

Three Peaks 11-02-2010 01:30 PM

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard...... :)

The side exhaust outlet seems kind of puny for the horsepower rating of that engine. Seems like it would breath better with a little more exhaust outlet?

I would love to see the suspension and chassis pictures. I hate to even ask how much the kits will cost....

Bob

Randall Thomas 11-02-2010 01:52 PM

I believe they are trying to replicate the original as painfully accurate as possible, therefore some of the features which may appear odd, may just be that. They even have the original leather straps on the hood!

New photos are being uploaded as soon as they are being received, which should continue through the night. Suspension shots were just taken under the car via Cell phone by one of my close friends while being dragged out by the ankles by the GM booth guards. Some of the suspension photos are already uploaded and, after closing I am having one of my operatives to sneak back over there and do some real camera work.

Randall

RodKnock 11-02-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Peaks (Post 1087334)
I hate to even ask how much the kits will cost....Bob

Last I had seen, the roller had an MSRP of $90K.

Excaliber 11-02-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

...to replicate the original as painfully accurate as possible,
If that's the case, they sure screwed up under the hood! :)

Randall Thomas 11-02-2010 02:41 PM

Engine choice

Excal, if you noticed the plaque shown at the SEMA display detailing the car, as well noticing the big "E" on the side, this is advertising for GM's "E-rod" line up of Emission authorized "hot-rod" type crate engine offerings, with are 50 state legal. Of course like any roller, the buyer chooses their method of internal combustion propulsion to suit their needs.

Randall

Anthony 11-02-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDude (Post 1087332)
Hot car! Looks great, especially painted in traditional Cobra colours (heh-heh-heh).

Guess I shouldn't be so mischievous. We might never have had the 427 Cobra after all, if it weren't for the Grand Sport Corvette...

I think the GS vettes intially had small blocks, and then maybe big blocks at a later time. I had thought that it was the fact that GM was installing 396's, BBC's, in vettes for the '65 model year that prompted Shelby to experiment/design the 427 cobra.

twobjshelbys 11-02-2010 02:49 PM

It is a beauty. Todd Andrews should get a raise. :)

Excaliber 11-02-2010 02:58 PM

Well there is something to be said for that E-Rod GM engine. The first being, loose the coils on the valve covers, they look hideous! :)

Interesting thought that Shelby might have gone big block in response to a possible 396 Vette. I've never heard that, one thing is pretty clear though. By 1964 they were certainly looking for ONE thing to happen with the Cobra, a higher top speed. Maybe a big block would provide the needed punch? The small block was maxed out. The ultimate solution turned out to be the Coupe.

I bet it was GM's paranoia over the Cobra's performance that lead to a big block Vette (desperate men do desperate things). :)

Excaliber 11-02-2010 03:11 PM

In 1966 the only Chevy that qualified for SCCA Trans Am competition was the,,,, (drum roll),,, Corvair! :)

SunDude 11-02-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1087351)
I think the GS vettes intially had small blocks, and then maybe big blocks at a later time. I had thought that it was the fact that GM was installing 396's, BBC's, in vettes for the '65 model year that prompted Shelby to experiment/design the 427 cobra.

You're right that the Grand Sports ran with small blocks, but I think this is beside the point.

As I understand it, the humiliating losses to the GS Corvettes at the Nassau Speed Week in Dec 1963 was one of the main motivators for Shelby American (with Ken Miles) to build the prototype 427 Cobra. That, plus the rumours that Chevy was gonna start building a big-block Vette for series production.

n1kon 11-02-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Thomas (Post 1087335)
I believe they are trying to replicate the original as painfully accurate as possible, therefore some of the features which may appear odd, may just be that. They even have the original leather straps on the hood!

No original had side exhaust like that.

There are also a few other notes that drastically differ from Grand Sports.

1. Turn signals are sticking out and are not recessed like original.
2. Gills are missing from the quarter panels.
3. Holes are missing from the rear.
4. They put chrome bezels on the tail lights which is not right.
5. They are missing the flat panels for the headlights.

Here's a pic showing the rear. Has Gills/Holes and NO chrome bezels on tail lights.
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Che...V-08_MH-03.jpg

Here's the front. recessed turn signals and flat headlight panel.
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Che..._08_AI_002.jpg

mr bruce 11-02-2010 07:43 PM

true ,accurate GranSport restoration here- http://www.racingicons.com/gs/index.html

Mark IV 11-03-2010 04:15 AM

[quote=n1kon;1087393]No original had side exhaust like that.

There are also a few other notes that drastically differ from Grand Sports.

1. Turn signals are sticking out and are not recessed like original.
2. Gills are missing from the quarter panels.
3. Holes are missing from the rear.
4. They put chrome bezels on the tail lights which is not right.
5. They are missing the flat panels for the headlights.

QUOTE]

There ARE some differences but remember there are Supeformance STREET Grand Sports (built in South Africa) and RACE Grand Sports built at Duntov in Texas.

As there was never a "street" Grand Sport some allowances had to be made to allow useful street driving. The rear gills and vent holes between the tail lamps were deleted to allow a real, sealed trunk. The race versions have those features.

Understand that the chassis is as close as possible to the original GS, the special rear diff carrier has been replicated, the hubs, etc. of the GS has been duplicated. It would not be possible to take an original GS and drive it on the street with any sort of legality or usefulness!

JBCOBRA 11-03-2010 04:22 AM

Is it going to be SVRA legal, like the SPF 289 and 40??

Mark IV 11-03-2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBCOBRA (Post 1087436)
Is it going to be SVRA legal, like the SPF 289 and 40??

The Duntov built race cars will be. BTW, the SPF MK II "289" is not yet accepted for vintage events, that is in works, but the wheels turn slowly.......(on the decisions, not on the car!)

Dumpling 11-03-2010 05:05 AM

Performance capabilities aside, I've always thought the GS Corvette was one of the ugliest cars ever produced, especially among the "performance" designs. And this replica isn't changing my opinion.

Yuck.

I'd rather have the SCCA Corvair.

trularin 11-03-2010 05:22 AM

Don't that just make you wonder?

:D