Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     
Default Weekend Help W/Ball Joints

I am replacing my ball joints with Cobra Valley joints today and having trouble completely removing the old rubber seal cup. The old cup must have been glued in to the upper control arm at the factory. I've got 99% of the rubber cup off but finding it very difficult to pick every little piece out of the control arm socket. How important is it to get all of this out? The instructions don't talk about using glue or difficulty of removing the old boot. Of course, I don't want to allow any dirt into the ball joint, so I think I can get a reasonable seal with a little of the old boot left in there.

And Happy New Year to everyone!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Use a wire brush type attachment on a drill.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-31-2011, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, thanks. I need to replace the boot on the steering tie-rod. What year and model should I as for at the parts store to match the SPF boot?

I had a wire brush on a drill. Maybe I need a smaller brush. Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Just email Randall at Cobra Valley....he's great with supporting his products. He may have some tips (although the wire brush one seems like a winner).
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

Ward,

Let us know if the high speed wobble on the steering wheel goes away.

Jake
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jake,

With the help of everyone's suggestions last summer I found my tire was out of round. It was so bad I could spin the tire by hand while the front was jacked up and see the tire move back and forth. Michelin gave me a new tire for $100, balanced and mounted which I thought was a deal. The car smoothed out very nicely. Next I'll be checking the ball joints and let you know.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF roush 402
Not Ranked     

mine where siliconed in also, the best way for me was to use a pair of needle nose pliers ,grab one end of the left over silicon and sort of roll it up around the pliers worked really good,the new boots are different,they don't have the extra rim that seats in the control arm,which is fine for the top a-arm but the bottom will form a dam around the new ball joint that will eventually fill with water,dirt,so I just filled the void with some more silicon.

old on the left,new on the right

you can also make your own make shift press to remove the old ball joints these are some concret anchors I had ,but you could use some all thread.

Last edited by akfish; 01-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: to add pic
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I borrowed a spreader from O'Reilly's for free. Thanks for the pictures. Have you driven it yet? Mine will be on jack stands until March for the weather to clear.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No,have to finish up my intake gaskets today, install new sway bars,set ride hight and get alignment, two or three more days should be ready to roll.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well...the ball joints and alignment made another reduction in vibration,more so than the tires which also helped allot.I didn't think they would help as much as they did, I was surprised.
I was fine with the way the car drove before ,the wheel was a little bouncy but it didn't bother me much,after researching I kinda got possessed with seeing how much vibration I could remove from the wheel.
The car feels tighter more connected to the road ,the wheel doesn't whip back and forth so much when you go over a bump, I would recommend doing the up grade.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

If you want the car to feel even more solid, install the Cobra Valley adjustable shocks, springs and sway bars.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham coyote
Not Ranked     

Did you buy the cheaper ball joints or the more expensive ones .
Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't want to take over WardL's thread,just trying to help. I went for the more expensive ones,and I also did the sway bars,and rear shock mounts,I may do the spring/shock later.

Last edited by akfish; 01-24-2012 at 08:38 AM..