Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF # 2099 Oh yeah, just got it!
Not Ranked     
Default SPF hardtop/side window issues.

I just got my used SPF 2099 yesterday and it is awesome. I have been out driving it all morning. I still have the hardtop on it because it is cold today. I tried to install the side windows on it and they fit the door ferrels fine. But when closing the door the front of the window seems too big/tall. It looks like trying to fit a size 12 foot into a size 10 shoe. I didn't want to force it so I took them back off.

My question is should they fit better than that. Do I just shove them under the lip of the hardtop or should I try to remove the plexiglass from the frame and trim it a little. It looks like they are almost 1/4 inch too tall in the front and just about right in the back.

Any of you with hardtops what do you do to get the side windows to fit better?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Ben,

Congratulations on your "new" car!!! I also own a Superformance with a hardtop.

When I first bought it I discovered the same issue with the window top front fitting outside when you closed the door. I did not know if that was normal or not. It was winter when I picked up my car and drove it about 500 miles home. Stuffed some paper in the gap to keep the cold air out.

After playing with it a bit after getting the car home I figured out that the front of the window should fit in the car when the door is closed. When it does it makes a reasonably weather tight seal.

To get it inside, put a little pressure on the top front of the window when you close it. Pressure should be pushing it in the car. Not downward pressure. Not too much. It will then close inside the car. After you do it a few times the window will probably "train" itself to close properly without the pressure.

After you figure it out it is real simple. The hardtop makes more days "Cobra days".

Hope this helps.

Jack
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

How do you apply the pressure to the outside of the window when you are sitting inside the car? Or am I missing something here!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
How do you apply the pressure to the outside of the window when you are sitting inside the car? Or am I missing something here!
Excellent question.

You stick your hand out of the open window. When closing the driver's door, stick your left hand out of the window to apply the light pressure. While applying the light pressure, close the door with your right hand.

As I mentioned in my previous post, after the window has been "trained", it will probably close inside if you open and close the door again.

As an aside, if your car has wind wings like mine, they will have to be pushed to the forward position before you open the door. Wind pressure while driving will push them to the rearmost position. Also do this by sticking your hand out of the car. If you look at the picture of me (in my picture gallery) standing by the car on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you will see the wind wings pushed forward to allow the doors to open.

Jack

Jack

Last edited by kayakjack; 03-05-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

The back side of the hardtop could be pulled too close to the body with the two latches near the doors. The hardtops rear rubber seal should just lightly rest against the body which also minimizes the scraching of the paint. If the rubber seal is compressed, then it's way too snug back there. Correcting this by slightly raising the hard top in the rear should give you a little more room at the doors for the side curtains.
Were the top and sidecurtains on the car when you got it? I'll bet the sidecurtains were in the trunk right?
Are the hardtop latches near the door tops straight or cocked at an angle?
I ask because if the windshield was replaced, the windshields angle might not be correct (ie. diferent from when the hardtop was first installed) making the top of the windshield frame lower in front, which would add to the fit-up problems with the side curtain too.
There are a few other things you should look into on the chassis too.
You can contact me directly with any other questions if you like...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tips. It was 37 degrees here this morning and I was too cold from driving the car without windows to try flexing the windows a bit. I didn't want to risk screwing something up before asking. The windows have been stored in the trunk and probably never been on the car. I am going to bring them in the house and let them warm up a bit before trying them again.

I think the hardtop fits good, the front latches seem straight and it is the original windshield. I will try loosening the rear bolts a little to see how tight they really are. Hopefully with a little flexing they will start to hold their shape a little better and go in easier.

Ben
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnelsonod View Post
Thanks for the tips. It was 37 degrees here this morning and I was too cold from driving the car without windows
Ben
After you get the window sealing issue in line you will find more days to use the car. The heater works great.

Jack
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Better upgrade your description to the ranks of "GOT IT" from waiting...
Are you aware of the Superformance Owners Registry?

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.

Last edited by Blas; 03-05-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The window went in with a little flexing. They are already loosening up. The doors are a little hard to close due to the pressure from the window pushing down but this too should get easier. Blas, I do plan on joining the owners registery. I will probably work on that this week while at work. Can't wait for the first cruise in or car show.

Ben

Last edited by bnelsonod; 03-05-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnelsonod View Post
The The doors are a little hard to close due to the pressure from the window pushing down but this too should get easier.
Ben
Ben,

That little bit of pressure helps the seal. When I am not using the car I take the windows off the car because I do not want the pressure when not required.

Also, when the hardtop is on the car, I release the clips holding the top to the windshield to release that little bit of strain. Not necessary, but I do it.

Jack
Old 03-05-2012, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the information you will need to register your car.
SECOND STRIKE
Second Strike is a website operated by Mike Stenhouse especially for Superformance Owners. Mike also maintains a registry of all Superformance cars and their owners. This website includes some technical information along with some specialized parts sources. Among his many accomplishments, has created an excellent Owner’s Manual for Superformance MKIII owners. I highly recommend that everyone registers their Cobra ownership with Mike; it’s free, and Mike is also a great source for the history of your car.
Here is the link for Second Strike Website. Second Strike - the Superformance Owners Group
You can contact Mike Stenhouse via email directly at: MichaelStenhouse@bellsouth.net

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

The leading edge of the window needs to to be pulled in as you close the door even on the soft tops, It was made that way for sealing. I just reach up and pull it in as I close the door.

Bill

Last edited by WildBill1965; 03-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To my knowledge, each cars top and side curtains are custom fit at the factory. Adding a new hardtop, or replacing an old convertible top with the newer style top will most likely require some adjustments to the side curtains. Fitting the newer style convertible top on my older chassis will be one of my Summer projects this year.
I know the Lift-a-Dots are jigged into position on the fiberglass bodies (there was a photo of the jig as I recall from the SCOF people that visited the factory a few years back). Plus I also have made a template for a protective shield for the paint for when the tops are installed. It fits well on many of cars I have tested it on. Surely the windshield angles are standardized too. But I'm sure over time molds and jigs are replaced, and they probably have multiple body molds too. In noting that the side curtains and tonneau covers are numbered for each car, it stands to reason that they are fit to each chassis at the factory; Or why number them?
I have a new set of side curtains and a new style top for my older chassis. The fit-up with the windshield, while close, will require some adjustment. And the door ferrules are best described as "Tight" but they do line up. And I know the new style top requires 2 mounting Lift-a-Dot tabs to be replaced with different style connectors in the same locations. Keep in mind, I have an older chassis and the replacement top is from a newer style chassis. I'm sure the newer chassis are more uniform in shape than the older chassis were. We aren't talking about Impala's from a production line here. I have some other info on the hardtops to that I'll add here later today.

Last edited by Blas; 03-07-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm trying to post a new picture of it from my albums. It does fit pretty tight but it has never been installed before to my knowledge.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF roush 402
Not Ranked