Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Period correct headlamps (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/115020-period-correct-headlamps.html)

JA COBRA 03-30-2012 05:13 PM

Period correct headlamps

Wondering what are the period correct headlamps for cobras,i have superformance #365 and it came with the flat headlamps with mini internal bulb inside below the main bulb? I have purchased the Lucas tri bar style lamps but am wondering what is the correct lamps for the cobra?

Blas 03-30-2012 06:25 PM

What you are removing are the WIPAC headlamps that cam standard with the car. They contain a small parking (or running) light. That is your only lighting on the front of the car when you flip the headlight switch to the first position. Your 2 small lights below the headlights only function as turn signals. Hopefully the Lucas Tri-bars that you purchased ore 'dipped" in the proper directon for US roads, and that they also contain the small running lights... If not you'll need to do some modifications to the wiring and sockets on the front of the car... I've heard mixed reviews on the quality of the light pattern on Tri-bars. Some people are sadisified and some are not... price may determine the quality of the illumination. Keep us posted. Have you up'd the wattage of the bulbs in the new headlamps too? That may also give you some problems...

Grubby 03-30-2012 06:41 PM

I replaced the Tri bars on my ERA with Sylvannia Silverstars. The Lucas did not perform to my expectations.

They are in great shape and I would consider selling if you think they will meet your expectations.

John

vatdevil 03-30-2012 08:23 PM

Sylvania upgrade bulbs in the Wipac lamps work very well. There's also an upgrade bulb for the running lamps.

Clayboy 03-30-2012 08:35 PM

vatdevil,
Maybe you could post some part numbers and a source for these upgrades.
thanks,
Bob

vatdevil 03-31-2012 06:25 AM

Silverstar Ultra bulb. I didn't save the receipt but it's a standard bulb that most any auto parts store stocks. Much brighter, whiter light ....same current draw.

ALF 11-14-2012 05:57 AM

Which kind of headlamps where used ot the 289 race cars?
- Lucas P700 Tripod
- "normal" flat shape

Many thanks for the clarification:)

1985 CCX 11-14-2012 09:43 AM

Lucas Sealed beam is correct.................

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...pictureid=8727

ALF 11-14-2012 10:10 AM

Hi Jeff

This was my impresson to looking at the different books.

Lucas PL700 Tripods can be found at some UK cars (mainly 427 but not on race 289).

THANKS

Riverside racer 11-14-2012 05:40 PM

Jeff,where did you find the protectors? I need another set after Watkins but can`t find any with the correct brkts.
Ross

Mark IV 11-14-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverside racer (Post 1218977)
I need another set after Watkins

What, did something happen at the Glen?!?!?!

Where was I?:D

YerDugliness 11-14-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverside racer (Post 1218977)
Jeff,where did you find the protectors? I need another set after Watkins but can`t find any with the correct brkts.
Ross

Have you tried Finish Line? I saw the protectors recently in their online catalog...and long gone is the old statement that they offer no technical support. There were brackets with the protectors, but I couldn't speak to the issue of whether they are the correct brkts for your application.

Good luck!

Dugly :cool:

YerDugliness 11-14-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1183491)
What you are removing are the WIPAC headlamps that cam standard with the car. They contain a small parking (or running) light. That is your only lighting on the front of the car when you flip the headlight switch to the first position. Your 2 small lights below the headlights only function as turn signals. Hopefully the Lucas Tri-bars that you purchased ore 'dipped" in the proper directon for US roads, and that they also contain the small running lights... If not you'll need to do some modifications to the wiring and sockets on the front of the car...Have you up'd the wattage of the bulbs in the new headlamps too? That may also give you some problems...

I had a blowout on the driver's side front tire recently that destroyed the Wipac headlight bucket and also launched the headlight trim ring into the next county....tire shards simply punched the headlight assembly right out the front of the fender and shattered the bucket.

I thought I was going to have to buy the parts directly from an online operator in England, then did a search on FleaBay and came up with a fellow who sells under the name of GBCarParts (something like that). Anyway, rather than buying what he offered on the evilbay, I contacted him directly through the "contact us" link on his website and got exactly what I needed for less than the shipping alone would have been from Great Brittain. I like the parts so much that soon I'll order another for the other side...the trim ring attaches MUCH more securely to the new part than to the existing part.

My car has the halogen bulb adaptor, so I went to my O'Reilly's and bought their brightest halogens...VERY happy with the results. My night vision is better now than with the new factory cars in the family...:)

It's an option if you're having trouble finding parts for any of the Brittish cars. I have no affiliation with the seller, just felt lucky that I managed to avoid the hellashous shipping charges from England and wanted to share the source with anyone who needs similar parts.

Sal Gerace 11-14-2012 07:30 PM

Moss motorsports recently sent out a flyer with new Lucas 7" headlights that replicate the vintage ones but with a couple of improvements. Check them out.

Sal Gerace 11-14-2012 07:37 PM

Sorry Victoria British but New Lucas Headlights For Your MG, Spitfire, GT6, Sprite & Midget - Victoria British, Ltd.

mickmate 11-15-2012 03:08 AM

Headlight Trim Rings with Stoneguards - $243.50 : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras
Hi Ross this helps to protect them.

Riverside racer 11-15-2012 03:14 AM

Thanks Nick. Good job. Did`nt think to look at your site.I would like a set please.Will contact you later
Ross

ALF 11-15-2012 04:48 AM

They look awesome and are probably worth every cent of the $243.50US.

Has anyone experience with them and provide me some recommendations?

Thanks
ALF

YerDugliness 11-15-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1219027)

Looks first class, Nick!!! Love the original look about them.....:)

Cheers!

Tutosnake 11-15-2012 06:42 AM

I have Nick's set up. It is sturdy, shiny, and easy to install. Highly recommended:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...s/P1020950.JPG