Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Weird Body Seam Question - HELP

Hi Folks, first post. I would appreciate a bit of expert advice.

Quite a while back I purchased SPF 738 from Dynamic Motorsports in Ross, Ohio. I bought it as a turn key, drove it home, and sold it two weeks ago having changed nothing other than a thermostat.

Here's the odd thing.

The new owner contacted me after a couple weeks of ownership because his Corvette buddy (glass expert) thinks the car has had body work done to it. The car has not been crashed and the body is original.

He claims there is a seam visible in the body when looking upwards in the trunk. This 'cut' or seam runs across the body, intersecting the roll bar holes. No seam is visible outside the car. H, says the body has been worked and this is detectable with a light held just so ....

The body looks beautiful to me - as flawless as the day I bought her.

HELP. I don't want this man thinking he has a bad cobra. The car is beautiful and I want him to enjoy it.

Could this be a reinforcement for the soft top studs?
Could it be a reinforcement to prevent cracking around the roll bar holes?
Could it be an inner to outer body bonding issue?

Does anyone else see a seam in the upper/inner trunk area?

Feel free to write me if you wish.

vincent.barnett@insightbb.com

Thanks,

Vince
Freaked Out in KY.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Might just be a body seam from the mold process, if you look up various manufactures cars in pre paint/body you will see what I am talking about.

My BDR under the right florescent ltg. you can see the seams.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Vince:
My suggestion is that you contact Superformance and post the same question to them, they are the experts, they build the car so they would be, inmy opinion, more educated to give you a categorical answer.
Good luck bud
Basque1 (Lou)
Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Once you have proof the seam is from manufacturing sue the idiots body man for slander and defamation of character, I get tired of of some dumb fuk making a statement and everybody wrong but the idiot making the statement in fact the burden of proff is on him
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

The Corvette guy is jealous of the Cobra and it probably will out run his vet so he wants the guy to get rid of it!!!!!!!!!!Corvettes haven't been fiberglass since the late 70s????
Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Posts 4 and 5, real helpful guys.

I agree, contact SPF and get the right answer.

Better yet, take a look at other SPFs and see if the seam is evident on other cars.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Corvettes haven't been fiberglass since the late 70s????
Starting in 1973, through current models, GM used SMC (sheet molded composite) to build Corvette bodies. It is indeed a fiberglass product and uses epoxy resins vs. the polyester resins used prior to 1973.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Open the trunk lid, look from the backside. It would be doubtful that the surface of the inside of the fiberglass would be smooth and consistant in texture after a repair.

They would never cut across a huge flat surface like that for a repair anyway.

I believe a replacement clip is connected below the doors.

Regarding your ownership, (from the Registry) I can verify that you are the original purchaser on 8-20-00 from Dynamic Motorsports with the original color being May Kay Cosmetics PINK... er.... Silver/Black (sorry) 8-)

If they would like to send me a photo off line of the topside and the underside I'll be happy compare it to mine (#760)

Another thought:
If the car actually had that amount of damage to require a new rear clip - CARFAX might reflect it too.

From my experiance, Hi-Tech (Superformance) would probably not have any records to confirm or deny any claim of repair, And Dynamic is all but gone - at least the original people who worked there.

Update:
I received an email from the new owner: I believe the issue is resolved.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 04-22-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thank You

Gentlemen,

After quite a bit of research the new owner is satisfied his car is OK.

I appreciate the help and concern of those who replied.

A resource like Club Cobra is an incredible thing to have.

Vince
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Glad to hear it worked out, Vince.

While I would be frustrated if I got a call like that and would be tempted to ignore the foolishness, I also want the buyer to be happy and enjoy a car that I was very proud of when I owned it. Seems that's where you ended up.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA