Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     
Default superformance /w vintage wheels -problem

Has anyone had a problem with vintage wheels on a superformance? I took the car to a race day, and had the 15" wheels self loosen on me (to the point of almost loosing a rear wheel) even though the spinner was on tight and safety wired. When changing back to the stock spf wheels, they felt like they had less play on the pins as compared to the vintage wheels. I haven't done a side by side comparison yet, to figure out if there is a definitive problem with the wheels or not. Anyone have any comments?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe the Vintage wheels come from the same factory that supplies SPF.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or
I believe the Vintage wheels come from the same factory that supplies SPF.
That is my understanding, as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

There are many more variables which could cause a loose wheel rather than were the wheel originated. It is possible the safety wire could have been on the wrong direction and/or the spinner was loose or the wheel was not positioned securely when tightening the spinner. It's hard to say for certain. For alternate offset wheels the pins also need to be the correct length, not too long.

I have had Vintage wheels on and off the car for over two years and up into the 130 to 145 mph range top of 4th gear many times at track days and drag racing. I also have around 7000 miles of casual use on public roads. I install and remove my own wheels, so I'm pretty sure of the wire tie. I hate to admit it, but have once or twice done a wheel with the safety wire backwards. It's not hard to do, so you have to look twice. In my view and inspection and use of Vintage vs. SPF original I see no difference from a mechanical application and they even look cosmetically to be exactly the same.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schroeder
There are many more variables which could cause a loose wheel rather than were the wheel originated. It is possible the safety wire could have been on the wrong direction and/or the spinner was loose or the wheel was not positioned securely when tightening the spinner. It's hard to say for certain. For alternate offset wheels the pins also need to be the correct length, not too long.

I have had Vintage wheels on and off the car for over two years and up into the 130 to 145 mph range top of 4th gear many times at track days and drag racing. I also have around 7000 miles of casual use on public roads. I install and remove my own wheels, so I'm pretty sure of the wire tie. I hate to admit it, but have once or twice done a wheel with the safety wire backwards. It's not hard to do, so you have to look twice. In my view and inspection and use of Vintage vs. SPF original I see no difference from a mechanical application and they even look cosmetically to be exactly the same.
Okay, now I need to ask a question regarding the safety wire. Which direction is correct? I have read both ways.

I have see where they say to wire it so that if the spinner comes loose, you will see it as the wire will go slack. Others say to wire it so it keeps the spinner from coming loose. So, which is right?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

You will get 20 opinions on this one.

I personally like the concept of performing a visual check and view a wire that has some slack in it (i.e. a slight curve). If it's taut/straight, then something isn't right (i.e. it's loosening ever so slightly). At speed, that safety wire won't really keep the spinner on. But if you at least have a visual before you fire her up, you have some more peace of mind. Some here will give each spinner a good whack before each drive. If you install them properly that really isn't necessary (but, again, if it gives the person peace of mind then you do it just because).

-Dean
Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default safety wire

Safety wire is designed to stop the item from coming loose...NOT telegraph the fact that it is loose. Safety wire has been used in aviation and other industries for years in that fashion. As the "knock ons" loosen or walk off towards the front of the car ( the ear at the 12:00 oclock position rotating towards the front), you put the "safety wire" on towards the back of the car (and tightly) to STOP the "knock on" from loosening. The simple way to look at it is to stop the "knock on' from rotating towards the front of the car and loosening. safety wire tools are designed to tighten the wire so there is no slack and prevent the loosening. I have a pic or two in gallery of a wheel, (hope I did it right after being on this soapbox)

Edit one of the pictures is of the passenger side front wheel (note the chewed up ear...no antiseize when I bought car), The other is of a driverside rear I believe and shows one wire correct and from the angle of photo ; one incorrect, it may be, but I assure you both wires are properly twisted and tight. I double wire all four wheels. Had an ear come off CSX3327 33 years ago and learned the lesson.
65SN8K likes this.

Last edited by JBo; 09-06-2007 at 05:49 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     

i'm only guessing that the pin drive was not fitting very well, because i was fairly confident that i had gotten the spinners down pretty snug...

my safety wire was on the 'correct' direction preventing the wheel from coming loose. it broke, and the spinner worked its way towards letting go.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

I agree with JBo,

I had a wheel nut come off an AC MK IV on the way back to the hotel at a SAAC convention.....................after having put over 100 miles on the car at the Pocono track! I saw a glimmering flash fly off the right front and into a newly mown hayfield! Three hours of searching located only grasshoppers and cow flops!

I got the car stopped before the wheel had walked off the hub.......bigtime scary!

Hell, safety wire the nuts BOTH ways and then you will never be wrong!

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

What is the proper diameter of the safety wire for the supeformance knock off wheels?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

This is what I use... safety wire .041 from Aircraft Spruce

Bob
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Neutral     

My method of remembering the correct direction is : Tight Ass or Ass Tight.
The wire is always to prevent any loosening movement.
Stainless safety wire is pretty darn strong. It would take a LOT of force to break it.

The Nut
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     

Tight Ass. Always swing the hammer in the direction of the ass....