Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Has anyone installed a Terminator S/C engine and Tremec 6 Spd. Before?

Has anyone installed a supercharged Terminator engine and tran in a superformance Cobra? I have a new Terminator engine and trans and want to buy Superformance Cobra and wanted to find out if anyone has ever installed this drivetrain into a Cobra? If you have, I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks,
Jerry Barnes
Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

A friend of mine had that combo installed in a Factory Five - went great!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Barnes View Post
Has anyone installed a supercharged Terminator engine and tran in a superformance Cobra? I have a new Terminator engine and trans and want to buy Superformance Cobra and wanted to find out if anyone has ever installed this drivetrain into a Cobra? If you have, I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks,
Jerry Barnes
Yes it fits. I have seen precedence of this combination in an spf.
No, it’s not as simple as a SBF or LS install.
It depends on what kit number you have.

My understanding of this stems from a conversation I had with the gent who use to import and put these together in Aus for Aussie customers. At a certain serial number some modifications were made to accommodate Australian compliance, this included modifications to the foot boxes (which of course are rhd) and IIRC some mods to the trans tunnel to accommodate the wider 6spd.

Your best bet might be to contact LJ47 (on this site) at LJ Performance Sportscars PL
I’m pretty sure he has done several 5.4lt combos and the size of that engine is comparable to the 4.6lt terminator.

New Superformance dealer in Australia

Best wishes.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Yes, it can be done. We recommend ordering the chassis set up for the mod motor. The footboxes are different and the steering shaft is routed to allow the mod to fit.

We can email you the illustrations of the footbox differences.

Please contact us for details.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-18-2018, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Go Terminator!!! I have yet to see a terminator swap but have seen the coyotes. Make sure and run undercar exhaust so it will sound like an 03 cobra. Good luck
Old 04-19-2018, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

There is an SPF chassis number before which the install is much more work. I don't recall what that number is any more but the guys down at Time Machines can tell you. I would take up Mark's offer about the illustrations showing the foot box differences and the steering column location differences. (BTW Mark, I would love to have a copy for my archives)

I used a TKO600 but if I were to do it again I would absolutely use a T56 Magnum. BTW the Tremec guys have a very nice T56 close ratio, road race gearset with a 2.29:1 first gear. The T56 (with the right gear set) seems to have the exact correct gear for virtually anywhere you might find yourself on the street or on the track — and the Magnum versions are Tremec rated for 700 ft/lb of TQ.

If you want the traditional arching forward shifter use the stock T56 location. If you want a shifter that points straight up and in a comfortable position for shifting use the transmission's forward shifter mounting location.

Go here => http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-6060_1017.pdf and scroll to the bottom of the page for the ratios. You want column E.

You will need to solve the supercharged engine's intercooler (IC) design requirement. I recommend the latest generation Killer Chiller from Kincaid Performance. It uses the engine's A/C pump to chill a reservoir of water for the IC. You will need to run antifreeze in the IC fluid because it is very easy to get it below freezing. I recommend a 2 gal minimum and 3 gal (better) reservoir. Coleman's 3 gallon dry sump tank fits the bill nicely, click here =>Coleman Tank

If you ask them, Coleman will supply just the tank with a flat aluminum lid and w/o all the dry sump oiling de-aereation internals at significantly less than the tank outfitted for a normal dry sump install.

If you decide to use the engine, get rid of the Eaton and put a small 2.3L (or 2.9L if you're frisky) Whipple on it. The car becomes lightening in a bottle. The torque curve is fat and flat from below 2000 rpm to 7000 rpm! A rear wheel power number of 660 HP is a walk in the park with the 2.3L compressor.

Do not use the factory ECU. Go aftermarket. My recommendation is MS3Pro-Ultimate universal system. The good aftermarket systems will provide you with a wide range of engine saving fail safes that will shut the engine down if oil pressure goes low, fuel press goes low, temp goes high etc. Supercharged gas engines need these safeties.

You also need a detonation detection and correction system. I highly recommend J&S Vampire. The owner of the Company and originator of the Technology is John Pizzuto. The technology is about three probably four decades old now. It will catch the first incidence of detonation and before the next ignition event it will pull a preprogrammed amount of timing from just that one cylinder!. On each subsequent ignition event it will come half way back to the point of detonation. The moment it detects detonation it will fall back to the last know safe timing for that one hole. It does this in real time for all eight cylinders simultaneously!.

If you have seen the commercial of the bank being held up and the customer on the floor asking the security Guard what he intends to do only to have the guard announce he is a monitor not a guard — then you've got the gist of the difference between the J&S system and everything else available today. This is a must for a blown gas engine used on the street.

If you decide to go this route, PM me, there are a few fuel system design calculators that I used and will share with you, that can help you get to a happy ending.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
There is an SPF chassis number before which the install is much more work. I don't recall what that number is any more but the guys down at Time Machines can tell you. I would take up Mark's offer about the illustrations showing the foot box differences and the steering column location differences. (BTW Mark, I would love to have a copy for my archives)

I used a TKO600 but if I were to do it again I would absolutely use a T56 Magnum. BTW the Tremec guys have a very nice T56 close ratio, road race gearset with a 2.29:1 first gear. The T56 (with the right gear set) seems to have the exact correct gear for virtually anywhere you might find yourself on the street or on the track — and the Magnum versions are Tremec rated for 700 ft/lb of TQ.

If you want the traditional arching forward shifter use the stock T56 location. If you want a shifter that points straight up and in a comfortable position for shifting use the transmission's forward shifter mounting location.

Go here => http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-6060_1017.pdf and scroll to the bottom of the page for the ratios. You want column E.

You will need to solve the supercharged engine's intercooler (IC) design requirement. I recommend the latest generation Killer Chiller from Kincaid Performance. It uses the engine's A/C pump to chill a reservoir of water for the IC. You will need to run antifreeze in the IC fluid because it is very easy to get it below freezing. I recommend a 2 gal minimum and 3 gal (better) reservoir. Coleman's 3 gallon dry sump tank fits the bill nicely, click here =>Coleman Tank

If you ask them, Coleman will supply just the tank with a flat aluminum lid and w/o all the dry sump oiling de-aereation internals at significantly less than the tank outfitted for a normal dry sump install.

If you decide to use the engine, get rid of the Eaton and put a small 2.3L (or 2.9L if you're frisky) Whipple on it. The car becomes lightening in a bottle. The torque curve is fat and flat from below 2000 rpm to 7000 rpm! A rear wheel power number of 660 HP is a walk in the park with the 2.3L compressor.

Do not use the factory ECU. Go aftermarket. My recommendation is MS3Pro-Ultimate universal system. The good aftermarket systems will provide you with a wide range of engine saving fail safes that will shut the engine down if oil pressure goes low, fuel press goes low, temp goes high etc. Supercharged gas engines need these safeties.

You also need a detonation detection and correction system. I highly recommend J&S Vampire. The owner of the Company and originator of the Technology is John Pizzuto. The technology is about three probably four decades old now. It will catch the first incidence of detonation and before the next ignition event it will pull a preprogrammed amount of timing from just that one cylinder!. On each subsequent ignition event it will come half way back to the point of detonation. The moment it detects detonation it will fall back to the last know safe timing for that one hole. It does this in real time for all eight cylinders simultaneously!.

If you have seen the commercial of the bank being held up and the customer on the floor asking the security Guard what he intends to do only to have the guard announce he is a monitor not a guard — then you've got the gist of the difference between the J&S system and everything else available today. This is a must for a blown gas engine used on the street.

If you decide to go this route, PM me, there are a few fuel system design calculators that I used and will share with you, that can help you get to a happy ending.

Ed
My car is SPF#1867.....went with the 2.66 1st gear ratio T-56. The magician who installed my tranny fabbed some custom brackets and was able to have the shifter go back in the exact spot as the previous TKO-600. The T56 is awesome and is probably my single favorite modification to my car.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

They are great transmissions Ace.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:52 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post

Ed
Send me an email and I will forward the drawings. I am out of town without my laptop so no file with me but I will be back Sunday and can forward them. Rick(AT)timemachinesauto.com

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/