Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2023, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question 2022 Superformance Cobra Power Down (Nearly Daily)

Hello, new member here and thanks for having me.

TLDR: 2023 Superformance cobra powers down (Ford Coyote 5.0L) during acceleration almost daily. Can't figure out the issue.

I purchased a new Superformance MK3 (Cobra, Coyote 5.0L, manual) new last year in Tokyo. Absolutely amazing car to drive, already have 5k miles on it. There has just been one repeating issue which I'm not able to figure out and soon the car will go in to dealer for second shot at fixing it.

The cobra, during acceleration, with no determinable correlation to coolant temp, oil temp, RPM, etc - will power down. Usually during acceleration but can be low to mid RPMs. During acceleration the enigne powers down, the exhaust note changes noticeably, and the power delivery becomes very rough. The car will jerk quite a bit, and smooth driving becomes near impossible.

The car went in to the dealer for about a week back in November and they did manage to fix it, and that fix held for about a month of driving or about 1000 miles. They said they ended up "tuning the engine" with a third party. In the last month I did a long trip 2k miles around Japan and the issue has come back. I drive nearly every day, with each day of driving being 2+ hours.

Usually, turning off the engine for a 10-30 seconds fixes the issue - sometimes for 2 minutes, sometimes for over an hour.

Car goes in to dealer again in a week. Wanted to see if anyone has suggestions or tips. Thank you so much. Happy driving.

-Tokyo Cobra

Last edited by tokyocobra; 05-01-2023 at 08:47 PM..
Old 05-01-2023, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

We need more info, especially about the fuel system and ignition system. What are they?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-01-2023, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

If you're running Ford's ECU a failure like this would probably have thrown a "check engine light". Have you check to see if there is a code?
Old 05-01-2023, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

You are experiencing an engine controls problem, possibly sensor-based, wiring harness-based, ECU based, or perhaps tune-based. The shortest solution to the problem resolution would be to data log the engine's primary systems, i.e. fueling, air, and spark. The answer will be in one or more of those systems, and the data logging will show which is getting crazy and under what conditions it is occurring so you know what to go after.

You did not say which EFI system you are using. If it is one of Ford's, then you will need to use whatever they offer for data logging. If it is an aftermarket system, then you will have a data logging capability that was part of the EFI engine control system package to solve the puzzle.

Until you start to data log engine operations to determine what is or is not happening, when these events occur, you are making wild-ass guesses at the problem that are not even scientific wild-ass guesses. The technology exists to quickly determine what is going wrong and take appropriate corrective action. All you have to do is find it and of course, know how to use it.

If your ECU is one of the Ford offerings through FRPP, contact them directly and ask about their diagnostic software tools availability. In a best-case scenario, a Ford dealership should be able to use its dealership diagnostic tools to determine what is going wrong. That, of course, assumes you have one nearby who is interested in helping. The challenge you will have with the dealership solution set is the car is not an OEM production vehicle, and even though it uses a Ford engine management system, they will be reluctant to become engaged in what they may well view as a problem-solving adventure.

Once outside the US, the number of performance-related firms and diagnostic services for custom applications, like yours, diminishes but does not disappear. They can be more expensive once you do find them compared to a similar service provider Stateside.

If all attempts at problem resolution fail, there is always the replace the EFI system solution set with a known capable aftermarket alternative. If that is the path you get forced down, the choice of replacement EFI system is only a part of the complete solution set. After the replacement system has been identified, you will need a service provider to install it and a knowledgeable, experienced dyno shop to tune it.

If you are knowledgeable about EFI systems, you might be able to do the installation yourself. The questions in your post tend to belie that sort of familiarity.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 05-01-2023 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 05-01-2023, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you for the replies. This week is a public holiday in Japan and the dealer is not available but I will be checking the details on fuel system, ignition and EFI as you have suggested. No check engine light when this issue comes up. Thank you.

Last edited by tokyocobra; 05-01-2023 at 08:51 PM..
Old 05-02-2023, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Now you know why, I love my carbonated cobra so much.
Joey.S and tokyocobra like this.

Last edited by hauss; 05-02-2023 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Old 05-02-2023, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

My analog cobra cannot decipher this message
tokyocobra likes this.
Old 05-03-2023, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
Now you know why, I love my carbonated cobra so much.

Actually I wanted a carbureted engine also but it was either wait one year for the order to be delivered or buy this one which was already on a ship to Japan. Coyote is great, really screams.. when she works.
CowtownCobra and Kthulu like this.

Last edited by tokyocobra; 05-03-2023 at 02:59 AM..
Old 05-03-2023, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You carburetor guys are going to be crying when you need to go to the Egyptian Museum to see an embalmed and petrified mummy to get close to a Carb Guru to help you set idle — jus' sayin' ...
Blue66 likes this.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I think I could reach up from the grave, get my hand out of the earth, and if you push your car over to the gravesite, I'll still be able to set your ol' school Holley for you.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's rapidly coming down to that, Patrick. However, it is always good to know you would be available even in those dire circumstances ...

Old 05-07-2023, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
You carburetor guys are going to be crying when you need to go to the Egyptian Museum to see an embalmed and petrified mummy to get close to a Carb Guru to help you set idle — jus' sayin' ...
Nonsense with a little patience a a few tools anyone with a mechanics mind can tune a carburetor . Remember your FI is only good as the programming the sensors and the cost of all that goes into it. Too many pieces in the puzzle great for shops good way to make money.
Joey.S likes this.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We should agree to disagree.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We should agree to disagree.
I agree
Old 05-18-2023, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The codes which come up on the OBD2 reader are

P068A
ECM/PCM power relay de-energized performance - too early.

P0507
Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected

P061B
Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

If anyone's got any ideas for things to hit with a hammer or tape with duct tape...

I'm on day 2 of a 14 day trip in the cobra now but probably need to turn back, was expecting things to be better after dealer took car but I'm getting power down every 2 minutes of driving and it totally sucks. Called every tuning shop in the area in traveling in hoping maybe they can calibrate/fix but the best places up here all say they send their cars to Tokyo for work like this.

Computer problems needs computer I suppose. The irony that I risk my life every drive with no electronic nannies but some electronic issue has me helpless just 6 months after buyng the car...

Thanks everyone really appreciate it
Old 05-18-2023, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You never answered an early question about your EFI system:

Which EFI system are you using?

Old 05-18-2023, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

It sounds like the car is being driven into what is called "limp mode" by one or more of those codes... Start the debug tree with them.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
... what is called "limp mode"
Hmmmmm, which joke to choose. Think, think.....
Old 05-18-2023, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Which EFI system are you using?

EFI system is from Ford Racing.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyocobra View Post
EFI system is from Ford Racing.
You already know the OBD II ECU error codes that are being reported. Use your data logging s/w from Ford Racing to look at what is going on.