Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default SPF spinners

Hi, I want to replace one of my wheel spinners. When I took off the left front which I want to replace, I noticed that it has an "R" etched into the back. In checking all my spinners, the right side ones have "L" on them and the left ones have "R" on them. This leads me to believe that they were put on the wrong sides of the car. When I order a new spinner, I guess I should order a right side one "etched with R" even though it came off the left side. Am I being stupid to assume all the above?
Ken 2473
Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Now when you say left and right, is that when you are facing the nose of the car or sitting in a seat...
Old 10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, KC 427
Not Ranked     

Righty tighty, lefty lossen, maybe its reverse threads so letfy tighty and righty lossen
Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

For knock offs, one side of the car does have reverse threads, but I don't remember which.

Left and right can be all relative to your perspective. So if you are standing on your head facing the passenger side door of a left hand drive car, the front wheel would be on your left and the back wheel would be on your right.

However, when it comes to determining the left and right for a car, I think it is relative to sitting in the car. However, there is an exception, which is the engine, which is determined by facing the front of the car.

So if you have a left hand drive steering wheel (like in USA). The steering wheel is on left side of the car (when you are sitting in the car). I assume the left wheels are on same side of the car as the steering wheel. And the right wheels are on the passenger side.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I'm dizzy now
Old 10-02-2006, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2275 #50 of the anniversary edition cars. Roush 427R TKO600
Not Ranked     

I Believe the SPF owners manual tells you which way they spin.

Trig2275
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

They should spin clockwise on the driver's side to tighten. On the passenger side they should spin counter-clockwise to tighten.

At any rate, the tops of the spinner should go toward the back of the car when putting them on.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 10-02-2006 at 07:32 PM..
Old 10-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Offside undo.......

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Either way, you want a replacement spinner with an "R" on it.

Lowell
Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: PPMC 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The L is for left hand thread. They go on the right side hubs. Right side sitting in the car. The R is for right hand thread. They go on the left side hubs. Now you should be dizzy.
Jim
Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

The spinners loosen the direction the tire turns when driving.
JB
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Ok, I understand now. The R goes on the left driver's side and the L goes on the right passenger's side. Sure had me confused. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct
They should spin clockwise on the driver's side to tighten. On the passenger side they should spin counter-clockwise to tighten.

Bob
But what about our friends who drive of the left hand side of the road? Their driver and passenger sides are reversed.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Their clocks turn the other way!

Bob
Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #967
Not Ranked     

How about this? Does the safety wire push the spinner tight or pull it tight. I think that would be a pretty good indication.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

Only if you put the safety wire on in the right direction!!
Terry Brown SPF #930 427W 419 RWHP 48 IDA Webers

"Remember, your car will not be more valuable after Track Day than it is the day before the event" - Eric W. instructional presentation on Track Day safety, 05/15/2008 WSCB
Old 10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ken the knock offs on the LH side of the car should have conventional RH threads. The knock offs on the RH side of the car should have LH threads. With them mounted as such they will attempt to tighten as the car rolls forward (??)

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-13-2006, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     

Another good way to remember which is which...always LOOSEN the knock offs by striking the ears so the knock off turns toward the FRONT of the car, no matter which side they're on. The right side of the car has lefthand threads in the knock offs, and the left side, right hand threads.

You may want to contact Lynn Parks at Trigo Wheels for your knockoff. Lynn made my wheels on #770, the adapters and knock off's, too. He also can supply adapters, wheels and knock offs for WAW wheels, and SPF wheels, as well as his own Trigo brand. He also sells polished stainless steel knocks offs, as I have purchased from him. I use my polished knock offs for street and my original knock offs for track...I've drilled the originals for safety wire as most sanctioning/sponsoring bodies require them to be safety wired.

Other things I've found out about knock off wheels/spinners... No matter what anyone says...safety wire will not - repeat WILL NOT - prevent a knock off from coming off! Safety wire should be installed as if it were trying to pull the knock off loose...not trying to prevent it from loosening. In this manner, you can check the wire for slack...indicating the knock off has loosened...and then whack your knock off a couple of time with your lead hammer to retighten it. Works great... Also...plan on removing your knock offs at least once a year...use some anti-sieze on the drive pins, knock off threads, and on the conical mating surfaces to prevent them from seizing up. Purchase a lead hammer, if you don't already have one. A dead blow hammer just can't strike hard enough to move the knock off. Don't over tighten the knock off...a couple of revolutions after it makes contact with the wheel is sufficient to hold them on. Thereafter, once a month, whack a couple of the ears with your lead hammer to make sure it's tight.

Now...before I get 6000 messages saying I don't know what I'm talking about, I got all this information straight from the winningest race car driver ever to come out of South Africa. He drove for the Willment Racing team, and had more miles at better than 100 MPH than most of us have driven in our entire lives...at any speed:

Bob Olthoff
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 10-13-2006 at 12:15 PM..
Old 10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Two full revolutions following contact? Not possible on my Trigos. At best it's maybe 10 degrees.

Bob
Old 10-13-2006, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin_Freddie
Another good way to remember which is which...always LOOSEN the knock offs by striking the ears so the knock off turns toward the FRONT of the car, no matter which side they're on. The right side of the car has lefthand threads in the knock offs, and the left side, right hand threads.

You may want to contact Lynn Parks at Trigo Wheels for your knockoff. Lynn made my wheels on #770, the adapters and knock off's, too. He also can supply adapters, wheels and knock offs for WAW wheels, and SPF wheels, as well as his own Trigo brand. He also sells polished stainless steel knocks offs, as I have purchased from him. I use my polished knock offs for street and my original knock offs for track...I've drilled the originals for safety wire as most sanctioning/sponsoring bodies require them to be safety wired.

Other things I've found out about knock off wheels/spinners... No matter what anyone says...safety wire will not - repeat WILL NOT - prevent a knock off from coming off! Safety wire should be installed as if it were trying to pull the knock off loose...not trying to prevent it from loosening. In this manner, you can check the wire for slack...indicating the knock off has loosened...and then whack your knock off a couple of time with your lead hammer to retighten it. Works great... Also...plan on removing your knock offs at least once a year...use some anti-sieze on the drive pins, knock off threads, and on the conical mating surfaces to prevent them from seizing up. Purchase a lead hammer, if you don't already have one. A dead blow hammer just can't strike hard enough to move the knock off. Don't over tighten the knock off...a couple of revolutions after it makes contact with the wheel is sufficient to hold them on. Thereafter, once a month, whack a couple of the ears with your lead hammer to make sure it's tight.

Now...before I get 6000 messages saying I don't know what I'm talking about, I got all this information straight from the winningest race car driver ever to come out of South Africa. He drove for the Willment Racing team, and had more miles at better than 100 MPH than most of us have driven in our entire lives...at any speed:

Bob Olthoff
FF,
Did you write all that info down when you were told or did you recall it from memory?
I hope you recorded your conversation with Bob. Besides he only drove the car what does he know.