Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for SPF 15" wheels in SF Bay Area

Any SF Bay Area locals looking to sell your original SPF 15" wheels?

I'm looking for wheels is near perfect shape.

I'm about to purchase a new set from Vintage Wheels, but wanted to see if anyone local may be selling theres.

PM me if you are.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Contact Ward Brady at Snake Power Performance 630-348-2500 tell him I sent you...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Dan:I have a set of new Trigos, still in the box (6-pin), 7 1/2" & 9 1/2" x 15, standard offset. Not sure if they fit SP, but I would think so, if you have knock-offs. Rich
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

His car (if stock) does not have Trigo's - due to his production number (car number), he has WAW wheels, The spinners are NOT interchangable.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Blas, Thanks for the information.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1454
Not Ranked     

Dan,

I have a set from Vintage. They are pretty nice. Give them a call. They are great to work with.

Hope you're enjoying the new ride.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Bob at Vintage is great. I think they are the same OEM for SPF while made in Africa.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Just out of curiosity, I wonder why aren't the spinners compatible? What was changed from the old standard and why? Rich
Old 02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The angles of the seating surfaces are different. They will snug up, but they will come loose...(But see my nother note below in RED) I'll post a photo in my gallery of the two spinners side by side...BTW: Wheels are clearly marked on the back side as to who made them...Trigo or WAW.
Other things to know:
Somewhere between 1265 and 1396 the Superformance rear wheel offset was changed. On the newer cars the wheel sets inboard by 1/2". This was done to accommodate wider tires. Also, the wheels are not interchangeable. If you try to put the newer wheel on an older hub, the spinner will run out of threads before the wheel is tight. If you want to change, you also need to buy the new hub.
Early cars 0-200 or 300-ish: came with aluminum bolt on wheels with fake fiberglass center covers that looked like Halibrand’s with spinners. Look really good too. In the later cars of this segment you could pay extra for the TRIGO and forged spinners.
Cars 300-ish to 800-ish: came with TRIGO wheels and forged spinners, but you could opt for the cheaper fake wheel covers for about $2,000 less.
Cars 800-ish to 1200-ish on up used the new WAW south African produced wheels and their own cast spinners. There was some problems with some in the early casting process.
Cars 1200-ish on up had the same WAW wheels and cast spinners, but the castings were re-engineered and they resulted in almost as strong of a spinner as the early forged Trigos. It wasn't the fact it was CAST and not forged that was the source of the problems, but HOW it was cast.
Due to the contact surface of the taper at the spinner to the wheel, the forged Trigo spinners will work on the WAW wheels, but the WAW spinners do not work of the Trigo wheels. (But why take a chance?)

Last edited by Blas; 02-21-2008 at 08:52 PM..
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Due to the contact surface of the taper at the spinner to the wheel, the forged Trigo spinners will work on the WAW wheels, but the WAW spinners do not work of the Trigo wheels.
I have car 1048, and I bought a set of 15" vintage wheels to hold my slicks. I wasn't informed of this mismatch in advance, and actually this is the first I've heard of it. BUT, I had a rear wheel come loose on the track... ruined my day, but didn't ruin anything else.

I bought a second set of spinners from vintage wheels, I assume I'm good for both sets now with the new spinners?

Nathan
Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     
Default Trigo and Vintage Spinners

Here is an image if the two spinners.
Gold is Trigo
Silver is Vintage

To the naked eye they look the same; how do we know the angles are different?
(The threads are the same, they interchange.)
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default spinners Vintage Wheels

Hi Bob here Vintage Wheels
The stock spinner angle is 60 degrees which covers Vintage ,Trigo, WAW and others.
What can cause a problem is if the taper on the spinner has been machined too much (for example to suit a particular wheel or spindle) then that spinner may not be compatible with other wheels)
So the important thing is to ensure that the spinner taper clamps the wheel before it bottoms out on the spindle/adapter and ensure the ears of the spinner (near the spinner hub) do not contact the wheel before the spinner taper clamps which will cause a problem.
I hope that clears up any confusion
Bob
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I have a set for sale from #2238. They're new with the original set of Yokohamas.

email at:dgmoscoso@comcast.net if still interested
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

The late Bob Negstad (Cobra 427 chassis/suspension designer and AC MK IV owner) told me you need 1-2 degrees of "interference", i.e wheel at 60 degrees, spinner at 59 degrees to assure that the spinner does not "walk" off the wheel.....as us how we know!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

Please Call Hillbank Motorsports and make sure you ask for "Dave". I should be able to make you a great deal either on slightly used or new 15" Superformance MKIII 15".

Thanks.