Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B,351/385hp,Silver/Black stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Older SPF

I am looking at an early model SPF. I know they have upgraded through the years , what should I be looking out for in an early model? Any real problem areas on the early cars?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When you say early model, how early? I have #158 and the only problems I have had with mine have been user induced. A lot of the up grades have been for comfort, and like any product they improve over time. If the car has been taken care of you should not have any problems.

Fred
Old 06-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Here's a link that details the major SPF updates by chassis series number:

http://performanceunlimited.com/supe.../features.html

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-14-2007, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #095, w/ 1966 428
Not Ranked     

My car is #95. I love it.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance,#058,66 427 Sideoiler
Not Ranked     

My car is #058,and hey,the grandpa still goes well,and gives me many happy miles.Cheers.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is my "old" SPF built 1995. I'll be able to get real antique tags in another 13 years.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

a much younger car than the last two OLD ones (LOL) , but young #156, built in 1996 takes a licking and keeps on ticking . Bill
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Johan,
Is #058 the oldest around? Wasn't the first one for sale number #040? Do see many other roaming S.A.?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,
There are not many Superformance's in S.A.On a run we might be 3-4,if we lucky.the rest is from other manufacturers.In this group of 4,there is 1 round about my #,not sure of exact #'S,then #110?,#330.We had a little chat the other day and I think we came to a total of not more than 10 in the whole of S.A.I believe there is a #049 down in Cape town area.With the rand/dollar exchange,new Superformance's has become out of reach for us.Maybe there's someone else on this forum from S.A. who can give exact figures.Hope this helped
Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Johan,
I figured since they were made there that there might be more. I didn't know the exchange rate would be a factor since it is a product of your country. I suppose you are competing in price of what they get for them abroad? Have you been to the factory? If you have, I would love it if you posted some pictures.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,
There are more,IN THE FACTORY,!!!,hehehe.I think Superformance isn't concerned about the S.A.market as they get the dollars if the car leaves rhe country.
We are planning a tour to the factory in September 2007.I will fill you in later of the outcome.
Cheers.
Johan
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     

I have #023...inaccurate dash layout and solid axle/rear drums...but it works better than you might expect.

Bill
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

#023 !!
Bill,
Can you post a picture? Was that one of the prototypes? I heard SPF did not retail sell the first batch. What do you know about the history of number 23?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What you heard may be true, Tom. I don't have a lot of info, but here goes:

The original owner was apparently Charlie Ponstein, who had what might have been the first USA SPF dealership in Chalmette, LA. I believe the car was built in 1992. Charlie sold it to Mitch Weinberg. I bought it from Mitch when I lived in South Florida in July, 1996.

The VIN plate on the firewall reads:

"Distributed by Superformance, Inc Chalmette, LA Cobra powered by Ford
Chassis# AC9CSLK1194AM1023"

The car lacks the accuracy of later models (even new ones like yours ;-)) but has the same frame, front suspension, and body as later models...near as I can tell. The rear end appears to be a solid axle 8.8 Ford with drum brakes, coil overs, and trailing links. The engine is a 289 built by Boyd Breaux in Arabi, LA, sold to Charlie in October, 1992. It has a T-5 transmission.

I've attached a few pics.

I'd appreciate any info anyone can contribute about these early cars, and I'd especially like to know if my car might be the oldest USA SPF.

Bill Hagerup
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,
Thanks for the reply. Wow, even replica cars can have thier own history. It looks like you've kept number 23 in great shape. My car was built in 1995. I updated many things. Besides my car yours is the only SPF I've seen with the round tail lamps. There are many Superformances around here and they all have the rectangular tail lamps.
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by Tom of VA; 07-20-2007 at 09:43 PM..
Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, I've been tempted to upgrade some things...but I'm hesitant to do so given the fact that it's such an early car. It's not like it's an original Shelby or anything, but it has its own place in the history of the Cobra legend, and I find that kind of fun.

I've toyed with the idea of putting in an IRS to replace my solid axle, Wilwoods all around, etc...but that would destroy the unique nature of my particular car. It's very much as built, and I think I should keep it this way.

The thing I am planning (this winter, I hope) is to replace the 289 with a big block...I'd love to have an engine compartment that looks as clean as yours. I figure I can put in a new motor without destroying the orginal nature of the car, since engine has always been an owner choice anyway.

Thanks for your interest.

Bill
Old 07-22-2007, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Bill I think that an IRS would probably bolt right in and the solid axle could be held in storage, though it's unlikely to increase cornering, just improve the ride. According to Dennis O., that is the only solid axle car either in existance or undestroyed, so it does have some special place. Most upgrades are fairly simple, as it were, bolt on pieces, very little requires you to alter any part of the car. Since it is mostly bolt on, any stuff you take off you can keep for sometime down the road if it seems important. I have done that for years with Mustangs and motorcycles I've owned, began back in 1969 and it has always been well received when I would sell a vehicle.