Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Loose SPF Hood Hinges

Just an FYI,

If you start to hear squeaking noises that sound like they are coming from your dashboard or windshield frame stop driving and check your hood hinges and alignment as soon as possible.

I started to hear these squeaking noises and could not figure it out where they were coming form. Then one day I noticed the paint on the right lip of my hood was scratching and chipping off. This went along 1 to 2 feet on the right side lip of the hood. NOT GOOD!

It turned out that the hood hinge nuts were almost coming off. Once they were tightened and the hood was realigned the squeaking stopped and no more paint chips.

Now I need to touch up the hood.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

it is always good to learn what misc items came loose from someone else's experience . I have had my hood on and off several times and have never experienced loose hinge bolts . I will add those to my list of things to look at when i do my regular interval ' nuts and bolts' tightening examinations, at least 3x per season - engine bay and undersides , now hood hinges . these hard riding buckboards can shake alot of things loose so always good to check on a regular basis . Bill
Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip. I certainly do not want my nuts to fall off. I'll have to check them more frequently.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I've been accused of having a screw loose, but I'm going to the draw the line at having my nuts fall off.

I notice my hood hinges were loose when I closed the hood and the stripes were off a bit.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

With your number, I might suspect that the installer didn't properly tighten the bolts when the hood was re-installed.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Just out of curiosity, did you find them loose where the hinge attaches to the body? or where the hood attaches to the hinge? I re-installed my own hood and have kept an eye on them...no issues. Now I haven't checked where the hinge attaches to the body (or frame...never really noticed where they attach) but will do so.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

It was where the hinges attach to the body. I did check the bolt from the hinge to the hood and they were tight. I can't take credit for finding the issue or even tightening the bolts. After searching for a couple weeks as to why my hood was getting scratched I gave up and brought it to Top of the Hill in Livermore where they figured it out it and fixed the problem.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     
Default Maintenance lists/schedules

Hi Bill,

Your post prompted me to ask you a question. You mentioned that you'll add checking the hood fixings to your list of things to check each season...Do you actually have such a list?

I would'nt mind compiling a maintenance list/schedule and if you already had a list it might give me a headstart?

I take delivery of my new SPF in the next couple of weeks, so as you can imagine....I'm all excited and pumped up with anticipation!

Regards.....Paul
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Paul, congrats on your new acquisition!

The suspensions/shock settings on these cars, like most Cobras, are quite rigid and work really well at the track but can lean toward the harsh side for street driving (especially if the roads are not true). And many use solid motor mounts (or ones based on urethane) to keep the motor mounted firmly. The two combined will induce a lot of shaking as part of normal idling and driving. Which loosens fasteners.

It's hard to come up with an actual list, but many here perform a routine tightness check on pretty much every nut and bolt on their car once/twice a year. Things like header/collector bolts, tranny mounts, re-torqing intake manifold bolts and driveshaft bolts, etc. It also helps to take a paint pen and draw a line from the primary suspension/frame bolts to the frame mounting points. If the lines don't line-up any longer, well then you have a loosening bolt. I've had battery cables loosen themselves, ignition coil mounting brackets...to name a few, so you really need to check the whole car and don't ignore the obvious. Many of the electrical problems that have been diagnosed on CC have been the result of a loose wire or ground.

You should also give the wheel spinners a good whack before going for a spin. I tie the safety wire on them so there is a slight loop/arc in it. If the loop starts to show tautness (getting straight), then I know it's ever so slightly starting to back out. Others prefer the taut wire to begin with, but I like the telltale method personally.

Good luck with your new ride and just consider the bolt tightening maintenance as part of the "tinkering" aspect of these cars.

-Dean #747
Old 04-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

Red Barchetta said it all ....well done !

No list other than if you can see a nut or bolt or something attached , get the right tool and tighten it if you can .

I have a lift so I can easily get under the car to check there as well ...and like Red, I have painted liines on most of the bolt heads etc on the frame to get a quick visual if there has been any loosening .

Battery cables , grounds etc get special attention too .

Basic rule : IF you can see it and touch it , try to tighten it - wherever it is . Bill